Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Try for Spire or stick with Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeSky
Both programs are having issues and growing pains, but with -Marriott- you can at least achieve Lifetime Status.
Lifetime status is just a scam so that people feel "invested" in a loyalty programme and stick with it.

And FWIW, it's far easier to "hang on to" a level of status with IHG than it is with Marriott.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LukeSky
Both programs are having issues and growing pains, but with -Marriott- you can at least achieve Lifetime Status.
Not really relevant as the OP has already stated they have lifetime Platinum.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Lifetime status is just a scam so that people feel "invested" in a loyalty programme and stick with it.

And FWIW, it's far easier to "hang on to" a level of status with IHG than it is with Marriott.
I'll take that "scam" I've been enjoying from SPG/Marriott for the past few years as a lifetime Platinum. I've been scammed into upgraded rooms, including some nice suites. I've been scammed into bonus points. I've been scammed into lounge access, with some of the lounges being quite nice. And, I've been scammed into not having to stay 50 nights to enjoy all the scamming. Edited to add that I've been totally scammed into my 4pm checkouts.

That scam, plus an IHG CC gives me all the IHG status I need, as I don't aSpire to be more than a humble platinum.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:36 am

Consensus: stick with Marriott, ihg spire status is not worth chasing.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:03 pm

I'm adding what many said already, Platinum status with IHG vs Spire status with IHG irrelevant other than the 50% vs 100% point bonus. I have the IHG Select credit card (the old $49 one), and I get automatic Platinum with that. Last year, I started a new job that requires lots of travelling, and between April and December, I qualified for Spire Elite because of the bonus point packages. IHG makes it really easy to buy 5,000 or even 10,000 point packages with your room rate, and those qualify for elite status. I travel regularly to cities Texas where room rates are cheap! In addition, as a credit card holder, sometimes 20% off points & cash rates are available, where essentially you can buy rewards points for $0.0046 per point. I've saved hundreds playing that game as well, an aspect that doesn't exist within the Marriott Rewards program. In addition, IHG gained further loyalty from me through their Accelerate promotions. I ended up earning over 270,000 points with just the various promotions between April and December 2018. Prior to focusing on IHG solely, I was a Marriott loyalist. I still like Marriott, and since the integration with SPG, I found myself cross lifetime Gold and earn Platinum level for 2019.

IHG's last two "Accelerate" promotions have been rather weak for me, so it's made it easier for me to stick with Marriott. I don't see the value for Spire vs. Platinum, so I'm okay staying at the Platinum level although I'm Spire through 2019. I've stayed at many HIX properties, and many of them new. Many are very nice, I have no complaints, and just used to the brand. I've received many suite upgrades as Holiday Inn's and HIX properties, and overall, been treated well. What I don't care for with IHG is the point redemption at times; I've had a few situations where standard rooms were available for purchase, but the properties black out rooms for rewards points. That frustrates me, and it hasn't been a one-off. In fairness, I can't compare to Marriott, because I'm stockpiling Marriott points. I have IHG, Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, etc. that I've earned through various promotions and credit card bonuses, and I spend Marriott points as a last resort. So perhaps Marriott does the same practice as IHG when it comes to blocking reward stays.

Marriott has a large global footprint, and available wherever you want to go. You've locked in lifetime Platinum, which is my goal. I'm sitting at approx 420 lifetime nights, so I got some ways to go until I hit 600. With IHG, there is no lifetime program as of now. If I wasn't invested in IHG at all, I might take a hard look at Hilton also. You can earn lifetime status, but having a credit card can get you Hilton Gold (or Diamand) status, which is probably the best mid-tier elite level program. Bigger footprint than IHG, incredibly easier to earn points, and automatic elite status. For me personally, I just don't want to juggle 3 hotel programs. But I've earned hundreds of thousands of Hilton points through just credit card bonuses. I've got 10 nights free on Hilton points in March in Hawaii!

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will continue to prioritize Marriott mainly for the breadth of brands from which to choose now that Starwood has been folded in. I do enjoy the lounge access, breakfasts, and room upgrades I get whenever I do stay in a full-service Marriott, Ren, etc. These benefits are extra special abroad - so much more high-end than in any U.S. property. For a fallback I will continue to use IHG and Hilton. I have made Gold at Hilton pretty easily a couple of years, just as I have with IHG.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Marriott Platinum is well worth the annual chase. IHG Spire definitely not.
The good thing about IHG is that once you get the status, you can extend it by paying for Ambassador.
There is no comparison, Marriott Platinum is much more valuable status than IHG Platinum or Spire, but 50 nights with Marriott is likely to mean one will hugely overpay for the brand, since there are few cheap Marriotts (while there are plenty of HIE).

As I side note, I find upgrades with IHG to be consistent. What they do not want to give is the Club access (never in IC, while CP and HI may grant it occasionally, but usually don't).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
If HIX is your primary stay hotel then spire will get you little to nothing. Perhaps an end room and more likelihood of getting a one or two hour extension to checkout. So really it's about the points with spire you will get 20pts per $1 but but but as someone who is in the same boat as you ( Marriott plat ) I find the 15pts prr $1 in Marriott worth much much more than 20 ihg points!!!

So, IMHO and honestly what I do is use IHG only if

(i) the rate is much lower and/or there is an IHG property where no Marriott

(ii) there is some IHG bonus promotion that will give me X points for stay whatever such as the current one has me 38,400 if stay 5 IHG hotels

but, I do not worry about status with IHG as it really doesn't get me anything. Usually the one benefit I want is a late checkout and only with Marriott is 4pm guaranteed!!

hope this is of help
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Spire status is useless. I have Royal Ambassador and Titanium Plus lifetime with Marriott, and Spire status is a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.