Runaround from IHG and Holiday Inn Club Vacations

Old Dec 23, 18, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Runaround from IHG and Holiday Inn Club Vacations

IHG Rewards Club and HI Club Vacation resorts appear to operate in two separate universes, which poses a big problem when an HI Vacation Club unit is offered using IHG Rewards Night Points. Due to a vague language regarding whether a 1 night non-refundable deposit would be charged in points (worth the risk) or in the nightly cash price of the unit ( $600, and definitely not worth the risk), I sought clarification from IHG Rewards Club reps, who referred me to the HI Vacation Club Department. They, in turn, said their department had nothing to do with booking anything on points and sent me back to IHG, but not before trying to pitch me a time share. IHG reps were totally clueless, and calling back and speaking to another agent (who referred me to the HI Vacation Club) and asking for a supervisor was an exercise in futility. After five phone calls to five different numbers, I am giving IHG the 2018 reward for worst customer service from any hotel loyalty program,
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:14 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
Due to a vague language regarding whether a 1 night non-refundable deposit would be charged in points (worth the risk) or in the nightly cash price of the unit ( $600, and definitely not worth the risk), I sought clarification from IHG Rewards Club reps, who referred me to the HI Vacation Club Department.
Booking a reward stay then doing a no show will mean you get charged in cash, but I doubt the take the deposit in cash as itís non refundable. I suspect they donít take any deposit in a reward night scenario, and use a card with little $$$ available on the booking.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by markis10 View Post

Booking a reward stay then doing a no show will mean you get charged in cash, but I doubt the take the deposit in cash as itís non refundable. I suspect they donít take any deposit in a reward night scenario, and use a card with little $$$ available on the booking.
A uniquely bad idea if your card issuer (bank) is in the US. Most card issuers simply treat smallish amounts such as this as "over limit", honor the debit and charge a nasty and large fee to have done so. OP will wind up with the debit to pay as well as a $50-100 fee.

Not sure that finding a CC with a CL of <$1K and which has no fee is that easy these days.
Old Dec 23, 18, 5:34 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
A uniquely bad idea if your card issuer (bank) is in the US. Most card issuers simply treat smallish amounts such as this as "over limit", honor the debit and charge a nasty and large fee to have done so. OP will wind up with the debit to pay as well as a $50-100 fee.

Not sure that finding a CC with a CL of <$1K and which has no fee is that easy these days.
Note I said card, not credit card , ie use a debit card to guarantee the booking.IHGs system treats debit card numbers (those issued by Visa and Mastercard) the same as Credit Cards in the context of bookings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: