Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanent platinum status?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Permanent platinum status?

I used to be IHG platinum some years ago (maybe 4 or 5 years ago I estimate) as well as a royal ambassador. However I stopped travelling so assumed I would now have lost all status. I checked today as I am starting to travel again and am still platinum. How could this be so? Surely I should have slipped down to the lowest level?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Have you continued to renew Ambassador? That would explain why you kept your status.

Another possibility is you got the status by virtue of a CC. Although, that seems a little far-fetched as you would probably be aware if you had a credit card which grants IHG elite status.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

I've had IHG grant me a "bump" to platinum twice, during years when I traveled a bit less than normal. Basically, I was close, but not quite to platinum, and they gave it to me the next year. each time, however, I earned it via points in the following year. I can't imagine they did that if you had no travel for a couple years.

Also, there's always the tried and true "error in your favor" where they just didn't catch it, and update it in the system.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Did you buy Holiday Inn Club Vacation timeshare (or whatever that is called)? I heard that if you bought it, you are granted Platinum for life.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

No credit card and no timeshare - didn’t know they did timeshares. I was a royal ambassador for a year or so, maybe 2, but that was ages ago and I certainly haven’t payed anything for many years. I haven’t requested a ‘bump’ and haven’t stayed with intercontinental for years!

Whilst not wishing to be too Matrix, it sounds like I maybe the anomaly.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Shhhh... The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club!

I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but Platinum status does tend to be a bit "sticky" once you get it - you probably do need a handful of nights per year though.
Bingowilly and barracuda93 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bingowilly
No credit card and no timeshare - didn’t know they did timeshares. I was a royal ambassador for a year or so, maybe 2, but that was ages ago and I certainly haven’t payed anything for many years. I haven’t requested a ‘bump’ and haven’t stayed with intercontinental for years!

Whilst not wishing to be too Matrix, it sounds like I maybe the anomaly.
If you had points balance you got lucky. Since Apr2015 IHG expire (delete) points in 'dormant' accounts, ie if
a)no points activity in prev 12months
b)if elite status gold/plat/spire you escape losing, but if no nights expect to lose status the next 1st January, and points 1st Jan year after losing status
c)IHG as hard rule not to restore such points (except reinstatement was allowed the first 1-10 months after implementing)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

i do have a few points. Hardly any at all rally. I had a look at my account and my last stay is in face jan 2015 - I forgot that I had stayed in a HiE. The only entries are zero points for Kimtpn Karma what ever that is in dec17 and IHG rewards club fulfilment, again nil points, in May 18.

Sounds like my best course of action is to shut up and keep my head down.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting. I did not requalify for Plat in ~2014 and IHG had me dropped to Gold (earned) by January 10. Also had a family member lose all points due to 12 month rule so the rules are applied at least sometimes.

Enjoy the surprise status!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Given how little Spire is often worh when you actually earn it year on year, is platinum actually worth very much beyond a free drink? I might get excited about permanent RA or marginally even Spire but permanent IHG Plat ranks down in the basement compared to permanent Marriott Plat or Hilton Diamond.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Given how little Spire is often worh when you actually earn it year on year, is platinum actually worth very much beyond a free drink? I might get excited about permanent RA or marginally even Spire but permanent IHG Plat ranks down in the basement compared to permanent Marriott Plat or Hilton Diamond.

At some Crowne Plazas, Platinum (and therefore presumably also Spire) will get you luunge access. But it's not a program-wide published benefit (nor was the now-gone free breafkast for Plats at certain Holiday Inns years ago), so you have to either check ahead of time to make sure a particular CP offers that, or just don't expect it and be happy if you get it.

Mostly its just some extra points here and there.

Those of us in the USA can get IHG Plat just for holding a credit card that's essentially free (it gives an annual free night certificate which for most people is worth more than the annual fee on the card). There's no point in dropping the card as long as you can make good use of that free night certificate each year, so it's pretty close to "permanent" Platinum status for those who intend to hold that credit card "forever".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.