Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Any Plans to expand Ambassador to include Principal and/or Kimpton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador

Would be great if the programme was extended to give us more choice with the BOGO Certificate
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If IHG wanted to extend Ambassador beyond Intercontinental, it would have done so for all brands ages ago...

As it stands, they can't even guarantee half-decent benefits for 75-night Spires, so guaranteed upgrades for paying $200 (or whatever Ambassador costs these days) is an obvious non-starter.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bloobell
Would be great if the programme was extended to give us more choice with the BOGO Certificate
Regent more likely and better. fit. to place into Ambassador family. In fact if the better IC's rebrand as Regent, IHG will need to.

I don't regard Kimptons as same general level as IC's, though a very good Kimpton can be as good as a mediocre IC,

Kimpton's lack lounges , worse not all rooms have baths (ie are shower only bathrooms) so no can not agree they deserve to be in Amb program along with IC's + Regents.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Kimpton's lack lounges
I think that's becoming less-and-less a an indicator of quality. Lounges are kind of boring, mostly serving dishes which are international favorites. They're buffet-style for the most part.

I think both of those things make them less attractive to the new generation which premium hotels want to capture. Young people tend to look for authenticity, healthy options and an individualized experience when it comes to food and drink. Thus, an old-style all-you-can-eat buffet with only a couple of local signature dishes (often in a softened, internationalized version) won't do.

I might be simplifying the issue a bit but I believe there is some truth to it. When I visit IC lounges, I see mostly old folk looking for a predictable dining experience with some "comfort food" options available. Now, you might argue that lounge guests tend to be on the older side because older people are more like to be able to afford lounges. And I'm not denying that's a factor. But I'm saying that the expectations towards dining experiences are shifting and, in consequence, lounges are becoming a less important part of the equation for premium as well as luxury hotels.
jeffery352 and est-gratuite like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by 1flyer
I think that's becoming less-and-less a an indicator of quality. Lounges are kind of boring, mostly serving dishes which are international favorites. They're buffet-style for the most part.

I think both of those things make them less attractive to the new generation which premium hotels want to capture. Young people tend to look for authenticity, healthy options and an individualized experience when it comes to food and drink. Thus, an old-style all-you-can-eat buffet with only a couple of local signature dishes (often in a softened, internationalized version) won't do.

I might be simplifying the issue a bit but I believe there is some truth to it. When I visit IC lounges, I see mostly old folk looking for a predictable dining experience with some "comfort food" options available. Now, you might argue that lounge guests tend to be on the older side because older people are more like to be able to afford lounges. And I'm not denying that's a factor. But I'm saying that the expectations towards dining experiences are shifting and, in consequence, lounges are becoming a less important part of the equation for premium as well as luxury hotels.

I highly agree.
I myself find lounge food to be hit and miss depending on the property.
We may see some big changes to hotel lounges worldwide (not just IHG) in the coming 5 to 10 years.
Many people today have become either very sophisticated (or very fussy) eaters, and the list of new food allergies in young people grows every year.

Lounge food doesn't offer much if you are trying to be a healthy and/or authentic local food eater.
Either lounges will have to diversify their food offerings (an expensive proposition when you have limited space and a buffet setup) or think of another way to keep people paying for this benefit when they won't settle for simple packaged evening comfort food.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
I highly agree.
I myself find lounge food to be hit and miss depending on the property.
We may see some big changes to hotel lounges worldwide (not just IHG) in the coming 5 to 10 years.
Many people today have become either very sophisticated (or very fussy) eaters, and the list of new food allergies in young people grows every year.

Lounge food doesn't offer much if you are trying to be a healthy and/or authentic local food eater.
Either lounges will have to diversify their food offerings (an expensive proposition when you have limited space and a buffet setup) or think of another way to keep people paying for this benefit when they won't settle for simple packaged evening comfort food.

I agree for the most part. For me, a lounge is a quiet space (or supposed to be) where one can catch their breath and grab a light snack, a drink in the evening, or a cup of coffee in the morning with maybe a light bite. I also find them good for grabbing a quick beverage or a little nibble during the day.

All of those being as a quick stop (usually) between doing other things. I'm not looking to use them to save money on dinner by replacing a meal with their offering. I think of it more like an afternoon tea that is just enough to take the edge off, and not like my personal pantry.

However, that being said, the Ambassador program is an Intercontinental program and not an IHG program. One of the brand, not the parent company. Of course one could argue that IHG is Intercontinental, but I don't see it that way. If it were, there would simply be IHG properties and not individual brands. IHG has a common program.

Why don't we see people begging for Inner Circle to be extended to other IHG brands? Because it's a Kimpton thing, something for their brands repeat customers. Ambassador is no different. It's for Intercontinental clients.

If you want Ambassador benefits, stay at an Intercontinental. If you want InnerCircle benefits, stay at Kimpton.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'd rather have a lounge than the free-for-all on cheap plonk in the lobby I experienced at my one and definitely only Kimpton stay. Plus a "raid the minibar" credit that stretched to a couples bottles of water that would be free anywhere else I have status.

It may well be the future, though, if that style of property gets the millenials (or their employers) to pay a $25+ price premium...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by 1flyer

I'm in my late 20s and I might be an outlier, but I love the lounges.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:37 am

It’s interesting that they have included Kimpton in some of the RA challenges that people have been sent out.

Could AMB replace inner circle?

Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I doubt we will see that. It will be interesting to see what IHG does as they apparently have plans to expand their luxury segment. I assume we'll see more of the Regent brand in the US eventually. Hopefully, it is a tie-in with Ambassador. I wouldn't mind seeing more ICs either. There's only 36 in North America. There's plenty of cities that could support an IC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.