Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Not my reservation

Every other month or so, a reservation that's not mine appears on my account. The reservation appears a few days before checkin. Today, a 3 night paid reservation (great rate too using code "Rosewood Hotel and") at La Peer for this wknd shows up. Last month, a one night award reservation at Thalasso. Every time, the Amb agent can't explain it or trace the reservation. The reservation needs to be directly canceled by the hotel. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by Troopers
Every other month or so, a reservation that's not mine appears on my account. The reservation appears a few days before checkin. Today, a 3 night paid reservation (great rate too using code "Rosewood Hotel and") at La Peer for this wknd shows up. Last month, a one night award reservation at Thalasso. Every time, the Amb agent can't explain it or trace the reservation. The reservation needs to be directly canceled by the hotel. Does this happen to anyone else?
Never to me
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:36 pm

A few years ago, I booked a night at the IC SF, and got some email from the hotel with my name and reservation number, but another Priority Club number.
It appeared that a namesake had previously stayed at the IC SF Mark Hopkins, that the two hotels' reservation systems were linked, and that it prioritized its internal data over my IHG credentials (had something similar happen at a Hilton, only with a family member's credentials linked to my name due to my using their points on previous stays). The situation was never clearly resolved, I cancelled my booking, and have not booked again at these hotels.

However this was a one-time occurrence. Are those reservations in your account in your name, are they flexible or prepaid, and is there a valid credit card number associated? Might someone somehow be wrongly entering your account number thinking it is theirs? Between their stubborn refusal to address their ridiculous 4 digit PIN and such snafus, I have extremely limited confidence in IHG IT. I certainly wouldn't store my credit card details on their site.

On an unrelated note, my alumni account gets disabled yearly, as its primitive security system does so after 10 wrong login attempts. I am increasingly convinced it is the work of a disgruntled ex-GF...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Happens every now and then. A few months back at CP Sapporo where I have stayed before and also have an upcoming reservation.

Same recently at Marriott where someone made a reservation via booking.com and it was tied to my account. I saw same first name and similar (not exactly the same) last name. Informed hotels in both cases as I didn't want to get stuffed with no-show fees or such.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Are you getting the nights and points?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, once.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Just happened again.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:17 pm

Several years ago I was charged a No Show fee for a reservation at the HI at Brussels Airport which was not my reservation. The name on the reservation was mine but the rate was a corporate rate for a company on another continent. Despite providing ample evidence that the reservation was not made by me Amex refused the chargeback. It took 2 months to get the hotel to admit the error and refund the charge - no apology from Amex for refusing a chargeback on a clearly erroneous charge.

Today I was checking a reservation I have at The CP Surfers Paradise - I made the reservation and I received the email confirmation. The prepaid charge has been made to my credit card
I couldn't see the reservation in my IHG account so went back to check the confirmation email - someone else's IHG number is listed in my confirmation email and if I try to open up the reservation when logged onto IHG.com - I can view the reservation but it tells me I can't alter it unless the member who "owns" the reservation signs in.

Sometimes these are inconsequential other times they are a pain in the behind and can cost you money/account credits/time/ lost reservations that other parties might cancel when they mysteriously appear in their accounts.

Clearly IHG's booking system/interface with the individual hotel's booking system is not particularly foolproof and despite this having been an issue for at least 5 years that I know of , it appears that nothing has been done to resolve it

Last edited by 3544quebec; Sep 29, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
known issue, down to individual franchjse hotels modyfying incoming reservations forwarded booked on IHG platforms before storing on inhouse computerised records
and more likely caused by other guest with similar name to you, booking direct with hotel and hotel thinking it is you as not being careful enough adding that new direct booking based just on name not member-number

typical issues such as above , when fanchisee hotel uses just name of guest and has peviousl had guest of same/similar name stay.

only 2x happen to me though i don't cancel these as would cause other guest to tun up without a room booked, i think other guest kept quiet to keep my RA benefits on one IC booking as I saw a good suite upgrade allocated.

glad my name is not something common like, john smith or bob brown etc
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
It hasn't happened for a few years and I forgot about it until I saw this thread, but for about 3 years in a row I got credited for a stay that wasn't mine. Same hotel on the same dates every year, and I got the points.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Just happened again.
I canceled the reservation only to have the reservation re-appear (remade?) a few days later. This is at a newer property that I have previously stayed at. Prior to the check-in date, I called the property directly and told the FD that the reservation wasn't mine but associated with my IHG account. FD looked into it and said the reservation auto-populated my information on the reservation; perhaps as described by @scubaccr upthread. FD apologized and would correct it; but never was corrected. The stay was recently completed, and points and nights were credited to my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.