Do you get the 25,000 bonus points every year as a Spire member

Old Sep 17, 18, 7:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Posts: 771
Do you get the 25,000 bonus points every year as a Spire member

My Spire is set to expire at the end of the month, and I did not qualify again. However, I did renew my ambassador, which also appears to have extended my Spire for another year. Will I get the 25,000 points again?
Super Mario is offline  
Old Sep 17, 18, 11:03 pm
  #2  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
My Spire is set to expire at the end of the month, and I did not qualify again. However, I did renew my ambassador, which also appears to have extended my Spire for another year. Will I get the 25,000 points again?
I didn't get the choice of 25K or Plat Status for a friend last year nor I got it this year when I renew last month. But please do report back if you do get it
alc is offline  
Old Sep 18, 18, 1:07 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,198
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
My Spire is set to expire at the end of the month, and I did not qualify again. However, I did renew my ambassador, which also appears to have extended my Spire for another year. Will I get the 25,000 points again?
Pretty sure the glitch reactivating status is still there when renewing AMB but you only get the 25k if you physically achieve the status.

Last edited by chrism20; Sep 18, 18 at 1:30 am
chrism20 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:54 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1A when possible
Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Posts: 4,894
No option for 25k or Plat gift if you do not actually re-earn spire
kauppias is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 12:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 5,218
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
My Spire is set to expire at the end of the month, and I did not qualify again. However, I did renew my ambassador, which also appears to have extended my Spire for another year. Will I get the 25,000 points again?
I don't follow here. "expire at the end of the month", now it is september and Spire membership at IHG runs through calender year so how come your membership would expire in september and not december?
FFlash is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 12:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1A when possible
Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Posts: 4,894
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I don't follow here. "expire at the end of the month", now it is september and Spire membership at IHG runs through calender year so how come your membership would expire in september and not december?
Most likely the OP Ambassador status expires then easy to confuse the two
kauppias is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:05 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Scotland
Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 574
Originally Posted by alc View Post
I didn't get the choice of 25K or Plat Status for a friend last year nor I got it this year when I renew last month. But please do report back if you do get it
They don't tell you about the 25k bonus any more but it's still there if you look for it.

From memory click on 'Spire Elite' then 'Explore Your Benefits' in your online IHG account and you should be able to claim them - mine are all there from 2015 to 2018
Bloobell is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:07 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I don't follow here. "expire at the end of the month", now it is september and Spire membership at IHG runs through calender year so how come your membership would expire in september and not december?
Agree, I wasn't following OP either.
My Ambassador expires end of April 2019; I may miss achieving Spire by 5K points or so--hard to figure at this point. Also what happens if/when IHG credit card elite qualifying points post incorrectly for stays late in the year as they have been doing for me (i.e.,1 point per $1). Have to contact Chase and it takes another month for them to post the additional points. What if they don't post until January/February . . .

If renewing Ambassador renews Spire, I won't worry about getting every possible point by Dec 31. But seems like OP won't know until Jan.1 if renewing Ambassador in Sept did, in fact, extend Spire status.through 2019.
Steph58 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 3:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Scotland
Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 574
Originally Posted by Steph58 View Post
Agree, I wasn't following OP either.
My Ambassador expires end of April 2019; I may miss achieving Spire by 5K points or so--hard to figure at this point. Also what happens if/when IHG credit card elite qualifying points post incorrectly for stays late in the year as they have been doing for me (i.e.,1 point per $1). Have to contact Chase and it takes another month for them to post the additional points. What if they don't post until January/February . . .

If renewing Ambassador renews Spire, I won't worry about getting every possible point by Dec 31. But seems like OP won't know until Jan.1 if renewing Ambassador in Sept did, in fact, extend Spire status.through 2019.
Pretty sure renewing AMB only gets you Platinum but may be wrong.

Certainly wouldn't take the chance and would be doing a 5k bonus points stay if required as those all count
Bloobell is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 12:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,072
Originally Posted by Bloobell View Post
Pretty sure renewing AMB only gets you Platinum but may be wrong.

Certainly wouldn't take the chance and would be doing a 5k bonus points stay if required as those all count
known issue/unintended-benefit of IHG I.T.

If you are xxx elite with Plat or Spire Elite Status ending on 1st Jan due to not hitting needed 40k4/40nights or 75k/75nights, buying Ambassador status/renewal (eg Nov/dec months) extends ones Plat/Spire status for duration of that newly purchased 12month Amb membership period, fo almost 1year AND seems to be repeatable 'bug' on subsequent Amb renewals in protecting/extending elite status at thae time b 12months, as long as one extends Amb before expiry
scubaccr is offline  
Old May 20, 20, 8:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,062
Hijacking this old thread vs starting another! I earned Spire 5 & 4 years ago, received one hit of the 25k bonus after first earning, and haven’t since (regularly check). I’ve actually retained Spire up until now for reasons unknown. I’m now about to re-earn Spire via Credit Card spend, and I see additionally its being extended. Surely I’ll be entitled to a another 25k now, would I still have any grounds to reach out for year 4 where it was never offered? Appreciate this is very much A first world issue right now.
pazza2000 is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 4:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,062
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Hijacking this old thread vs starting another! I earned Spire 5 & 4 years ago, received one hit of the 25k bonus after first earning, and havenít since (regularly check). Iíve actually retained Spire up until now for reasons unknown. Iím now about to re-earn Spire via Credit Card spend, and I see additionally its being extended. Surely Iíll be entitled to a another 25k now, would I still have any grounds to reach out for year 4 where it was never offered? Appreciate this is very much A first world issue right now.
Any thoughts? (maybe this is the wrong thread to have asked in)
pazza2000 is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 5:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,953
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Hijacking this old thread vs starting another! I earned Spire 5 & 4 years ago, received one hit of the 25k bonus after first earning, and havenít since (regularly check). Iíve actually retained Spire up until now for reasons unknown. Iím now about to re-earn Spire via Credit Card spend, and I see additionally its being extended. Surely Iíll be entitled to a another 25k now, would I still have any grounds to reach out for year 4 where it was never offered? Appreciate this is very much A first world issue right now.
The last time I earned Spire, the usual way, was 2016. Since then renewing my AMB renewed Spire, but didn't result in getting the 25k, until this past year. Who knows why?
rbAA is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 10:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,749
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Hijacking this old thread vs starting another! I earned Spire 5 & 4 years ago, received one hit of the 25k bonus after first earning, and havenít since (regularly check). Iíve actually retained Spire up until now for reasons unknown. Iím now about to re-earn Spire via Credit Card spend, and I see additionally its being extended. Surely Iíll be entitled to a another 25k now, would I still have any grounds to reach out for year 4 where it was never offered? Appreciate this is very much A first world issue right now.
There was a change made after the first year of Spire where gifted Spire members did not receive the 25K. However, if you retained Spire by earning it, then they paid the 25K.

There is the exception this year, which is a one off, where they are extending Spire and giving the 25K.
pazza2000 likes this.
perthite is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 3:54 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Amsterdam&Stuttgart& Edinburgh
Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Posts: 485
I made Spire in Feb this year (with RA) and got the 25k bonus. As they made my expiry 31.12.22 then I guess I will not be getting the bonus again as I doubt that they will further extend my Spire, RA has been extended
ninjalad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: