Search

Transferred Virgin Atlantic Miles to IHG Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airmiles, PriorityClub, Mariott Rewards
Transferred Virgin Atlantic Miles to IHG Rewards

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience.

i had 30k VirginAtlantic miles that I’ve not been using. I saw that a few people over the years had transferred them to IHG to help with the journey to Spire Elite.

I transferred them a coupe of weeks ago.

IHG have not allocated them as “Elite Earning”.

After a number of emails to the Service Center, they are adamant that transferred miles never count towards Elite qualifying, despite me sharing the links of other customers who claim they do...

Any thoughts or experiences that can help?

Thanks

Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by jeremy100
Hi,

i had 30k VirginAtlantic miles that I’ve not been using. I saw that a few people over the years had transferred them to IHG to help with the journey to Spire Elite.

After a number of emails to the Service Center, they are adamant that transferred miles never count towards Elite qualifying, despite me sharing the links of other customers who claim they do...

Thanks

Last time i did this was 3 years ago so, It could be that this loophole has been exploited and they have now closed it.
Im sure more posters will confirm this shortly.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:31 am

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...tc.html#levels

Looking in the chart, provided clearly in the member terms and conditions, it specifically lists points transfers as non-elite qualifying points. Same for point purchases, vouchers, or deposits.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
But that ignores the fact that for years VS has worked. Finnair transfers to IAG do not.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by thunderlounge

Looking in the chart, provided clearly in the member terms and conditions, it specifically lists points transfers as non-elite qualifying points. Same for point purchases, vouchers, or deposits.
It was frequently mentioned on HFP that transferring from Virgin to IHG earned status points.
Now the IT dept at IHG must have caught on and blocked it..
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:15 pm

Whether it worked in the past or not, it’s in the T&C which is the end result of op contacting them.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jeremy100
Hi,

Thanks

so you noticed that the loophole was not working anymore and somehow you thought it would be a good idea to insure the loophole was permanently closed. Pointing it out to IHG is a sure fire way to make sure it stays closed.
thanks
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
But that ignores the fact that for years VS has worked. Finnair transfers to IAG do not.
Maybe continually blogging on it whilst selling advertising space to IHG had killed it!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:20 pm

Shame if it has ended although if it has I’m surprised it lasted as long after the e-rewards switched to non qualifying as it was well known that these were the two ways open to quickly accrue EQPs without staying or using a CC

I doubt however that it’s been done in preparation for improvements to elite benefits.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:47 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
IHG's IT seems to be improving, with accelerate tasks being awarded immediately along with stays, and the website feels less clunky than a few months ago even though I still hate the "mobile" design on the desktop site... wonder if renewing amb will still renew spire when it hasn't been achieved properly...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D!
IHG's IT seems to be improving, with accelerate tasks being awarded immediately along with stays, and the website feels less clunky than a few months ago even though I still hate the "mobile" design on the desktop site... wonder if renewing amb will still renew spire when it hasn't been achieved properly...
Agreed, I've found my accelerate points are now posting immediately.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:02 am

Too bad they still can’t implement a proper account password.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thunderlounge

I think the table in General point 43 refers to point transfers mentioned in General point 27, i,e. transfers between members as opposed to transfers from Loyalty Program Alliances (for which there is only General point 87 for "Converting Points to Miles or Credits" but not converting from).

Additionally, I think that Loyalty Program Alliances such as Virgin Atlantic fall under the category of "Partner Activity". From memory, older versions of the T&C's used to indicate that points "Earned from Partner Activity" were Elite Qualifying. The (new?) table in General point 43 states "Spend on select partner activity" is Elite Qualifying. The changing of 'Earned' to 'Spend' could be linked with Point Transfers from Loyalty Program Alliances becoming non-qualifying.

27. Point Transfers. Points may be transferred between any two specifically designated Member accounts. A Member may authorize the transfer of the necessary number of Points into another Member's account. The cost to the Member authorizing the transfer will be $5 US per 1,000 Points transferred, and can only be paid for by a valid, accepted credit card or approved payment method. Follow the instructions at https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...-rewards/miles or call your regional IHG Rewards Club Customer Care Centre for assistance. An authorization to transfer Points form must be completed and submitted in order to transfer the required number of Points. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferor relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points permitted subject to local laws; no cancellations or refunds are permitted. Other than as stated above, no transfer of Points may occur. Points are not the property of any Member. Except for the Point transfers allowed under these Terms and Conditions, Points may not be sold, bartered, attached, seized, levied upon, pledged, or transferred under any circumstances, including, without limitation, by operation of law, upon death, or in connection with any domestic relations dispute and/or legal proceeding, unless authorized in writing by SCH. Any unauthorized transfers of Points shall be deemed a violation of these Terms and Conditions.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Table in point 43. Is the relevant table here. Itemises the source of points and whether EQPs or not

For purposes of determining Elite status, IHG Rewards Club Points are classified as either Elite Qualifying Points or Non-Elite Qualifying Points. Only Elite Qualifying Points are counted towards Elite status.

Transfers will appliy to points transferred from any source, whether a)Other IHG acct b)Hotel points c)Airline miles d)e-survey account

When Spire cam out in July2015, IHG stated at the time only earned points would count. It was noted in the first year many 60k CC signups were posted incorrectly by credit cards companies as EQPs, which IHG concentrated on first as giving Spire on own without a single stay, and no doubt those extra unwarranted CC Spires delayed intro of any meaningful Spire benefits, IHG later proceeded with blocking the usually smaller xfers from eg Airline accounts

Activity Provides Provides
Elite Qualifying Points

Qualifying Rates* paid for hotel Stays X
Spend on IHG® Rewards Club credit cards X
Spend on select partner activity X
IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points (or miles) Packages X
Qualified Spend through IHG® Business Rewards X

Activity Provides Provides
Non-Elite Qualifying Points

Points earned from IHG® promotions X
Elite status bonuses** X
Activation bonuses or select promotions offered through IHG® Rewards Club credit cards X
Select partner promotions X
point vouchers X
Point purchases X
Point transfers X
Point deposits X

Last edited by scubaccr; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:48 pm Reason: Edit to show NON-EQP as after saving table lines/spacing dissapeared
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
I transferred 30k Virgin Miles a matter of weeks ago and they were allocated as Elite Earnings and I hit Spire as expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.