Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Indigo London-Kensington No AC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Hotel Indigo London-Kensington No AC

For the second time this month, we've had no AirConditioning in our room at Hotel Indigo London Kensington.

The first time we were in a ground floor room facing Barkston Gardens. It was warm but bearable. Front desk staff were surprised when we told them and gave me a good discount.

29 days later I was up on the third floor in room at the west end of the hotel. The afternoon sun hits the bricks, turning the room into a pizza oven. It was very unpleasant. Not much to do, they were completely full and I was staying on points.

Front desk staff tell me they don't expect the AC to be fixed before the end of the summer.

I would avoid this hotel for the next few months. A shame as this is otherwise one of the better IHG properties in London.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; Jul 24, 2018 at 1:29 pm Reason: fix a typo
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Has anyone had any experience of cancelling a non refundable stay because of this? We are booked there at the end of July, but would change due to this if possible.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

You should phone the hotel. +44 20 7373 7851

If not, try complaining directly to corporate. You might have a chance since this property is managed by IHG. Be sure to tell them you are Spire too.

The Air Conditioning will not be working for several months. London is at or near record high temperatures this week.

I'll be staying elsewhere on my next trip to London.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
I emailed the hotel and they allowed me to cancel with no penalty. We’ve booked the Kensington Forum instead - it’s a bit old and tired but cheap and well located.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
I was staying there last week, I had booked on points for two nights (40K + 40K). Left the next morning and moved to Crowne Plaza Kensington which is 10 minutes walk away from Hotel Indigo.

We stayed the first night thinking it wouldn't be so bad but it was unbearable as London is having a warm streak. Additionally, the front of the hotel has scaffolding so we didn't feel too comfortable keeping our windows open at all as in theory anyone could climb up and get in. We checked out the next day and got a full refund of points for both nights (80K total) plus 5K extra.

They claimed 10% of rooms had working A/C and the lobby/restaurant seemed to still have A/C so if you get an A/C room it could be OK.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

I've stayed at Crowne Plaza London Kensington a few times. It is fine and just one tube stop on the District Line from the Indigo. Under normal circumstances, I'd rank the CP one notch below the Indigo.

We haven't stayed at HI Kensington Forum. Like the CP, it is also right by Gloucester Road Tube.

Minor tip: If you are taking the tube West into zones 2 to 6, you can save a little money by walking to Earl's Court.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Aadvantage
I've stayed at HI Kensington Forum too. Outdated was my main take away but the location is good. I'd probably go for Holiday Inn Kensington High Street instead though if in HI brand.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by spark911
I've stayed at HI Kensington Forum too. Outdated was my main take away but the location is good. I'd probably go for Holiday Inn Kensington High Street instead though if in HI brand.
The High St HI has to be one of the worst HIs I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. It might be a bit more dated but I’d stay in the forum over the High St anytime.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

What were your problems at HI High Street Kensington?

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
What were your problems at HI High Street Kensington?

The reception and public areas look nice and the rooms I saw were reasonably furnished, however even by London standards these are childrens shoebox size. I saw one exec room and it was around 15% bigger.

The main issues were the service which was very poor. It was a struggle for the front desk to make eye contact at times and no acknowledgement of status although welcome points were added.

Food in the bar in the evening was mediocre and took an age to be served. One dish was sent back as it was cold whilst the other edible but tasteless.

Breakfast in the morning was absolute chaos on both mornings. Fifteen minutes after service started and they were running out of things with only 15-20 people seated. The following morning we ate much later on and there was a wait of about ten minutes for a table and availability was poor again. There was no brown bread and the pastries had definitely been cooked the day before.

Mentioned the issues at checkout and they didn't appear overly concerned whilst another guest was also complaining.

Room was clean and the bed was comfortable plus there is a pool although the opening times for it are funny. Don't expect an early morning swim or one in the evening to wind down.

Work paid for it (I'm sure it was around £220 with corp discount) and I didn't think there was any value in it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.