Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego area - which IHG hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
San Diego area - which IHG hotel?

I am looking to stay in IHG hotel (using free night certificate) in San Diego area. Which one to choose?
I do not need to be near attractions like Zoo or Seaworld - just going to enjoy town.

Found a thread from 2016 where Kimpton Solamar was suggested over Palomar. But there was no discussion/consideration for Indigo Gaslamp (maybe it was not built yet). Anyway, which one to choose?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ellylex
I am looking to stay in IHG hotel (using free night certificate) in San Diego area. Which one to choose?
I do not need to be near attractions like Zoo or Seaworld - just going to enjoy town.

Found a thread from 2016 where Kimpton Solamar was suggested over Palomar. But there was no discussion/consideration for Indigo Gaslamp (maybe it was not built yet). Anyway, which one to choose?
I really enjoyed a stay at the HIX Airport/Old Town. The room is pretty typical of the brand, but it is a 5 minute walk from Old Town and tons of restaurants.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:22 pm

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Going after September?
Thank You. I did see that new hotel will open up in few months, but I was thinking to visit in June.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As I posted in the earlier thread, while the Palomar itself is nice and generous on upgrading elites, I can't recommend it due to the rather sketchy area surrounding it. I walked to/from my office a few blocks away every day and wasn't at all interested in walking/exploring at night. The Gaslamp Quarter (where the Solamar and Indigo are) are more interesting and can be lively if there's a Padres game going on or a big convention in town. There's a nice pool scene/vibe at the Solamar and I remember liking the dinner we had there several years ago. I can't speak to the Indigo as I haven't stayed there but I'd certainly narrow it down to those two over the Palomar.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As I posted in the earlier thread, while the Palomar itself is nice and generous on upgrading elites, I can't recommend it due to the rather sketchy area surrounding it. I walked to/from my office a few blocks away every day and wasn't at all interested in walking/exploring at night. The Gaslamp Quarter (where the Solamar and Indigo are) are more interesting and can be lively if there's a Padres game going on or a big convention in town. There's a nice pool scene/vibe at the Solamar and I remember liking the dinner we had there several years ago. I can't speak to the Indigo as I haven't stayed there but I'd certainly narrow it down to those two over the Palomar.
There is nothing wrong with the location of the Palomar. It is still in the Gaslamp Quarter. There are plenty of places on 4th, 5th, and 6th Avenues with or without a baseball game going on. There are WAY more homeless in the East Village near the Indigo.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Thinking about staying here in October. I tried to book online with points, as well as w/ a free night cert, but nothing at all is available.

Is this because it hasn't opened yet? Is that typical? Should I call in?

Relatively new to how IHG works, hence the questions.

Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
How have I missed this!!

We are in SAN the last week in September and the rates look good.
But I'm now locked into a non-refundable pre-paid rate at the Hyatt.

Gutted to miss out on a new IC property.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PantsFlyer
How have I missed this!!

We are in SAN the last week in September and the rates look good.
But I'm now locked into a non-refundable pre-paid rate at the Hyatt.

Gutted to miss out on a new IC property.
Don't feel too bad. The IC charges a $25 fee per night. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd prefer to stay at a property that doesn't pull this trick.

$25 Daily Amenity Fee Includes Basic WI-FI Access, In-Room Local and Domestic Calls, Health and Wellness Center Access, Pool Access, Complimentary Use of the Business Lounge, $25 off Club InterContinental Access and Up to 2 Complimentary Signature Cocktails at Vistal Bar (1 Per Person, Must be 21+).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Don't feel too bad. The IC charges a $25 fee per night. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd prefer to stay at a property that doesn't pull this trick.

$25 Daily Amenity Fee Includes Basic WI-FI Access, In-Room Local and Domestic Calls, Health and Wellness Center Access, Pool Access, Complimentary Use of the Business Lounge, $25 off Club InterContinental Access and Up to 2 Complimentary Signature Cocktails at Vistal Bar (1 Per Person, Must be 21+).
Would you pay more for a room with equal or less to offer at a higher base rate because it didn't pull this "trick?"
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Would you pay more for a room with equal or less to offer at a higher base rate because it didn't pull this "trick?"
I would prefer to stay at a hotel that charged $200 without a resort fee than $200 after a resort fee. I might even pay a bit more to stay at the one without a resort fee.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

Unfortunately most of the bigger hotels in the area have similar 'resort charges'
The Hyatt is Mission Bay has the same charge, which for a lower quality hotel leaves an even nastier taste in the mouth.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:56 am

Just putting this on here in case people are looking for recommendations. I just got back from three nights in San Diego and had initially booked at HIX SeaWorld Beach Area. I checked out after the first night (for the first time ever) due to a lot of issues.

Upon check in I was greeted by a rude agent who did not speak to me. He was on the phone the entire time he checked me in talking to someone about setting up a reservation. That person had a dog and when he explained that they only allow service animals, they went back and forth about it. He eventually just told the person to some anyways and he would figure it out. I thought that was strange but whatever.

I was given the worst room on the entire property on the first floor right outside the dining area. The door did not shut all the way so I could hear everything all night (which got exceptionally bad around 5am and then at 6am once breakfast started). Since the door was messed up I got a lot of light in from the hallway and could even seen people walk by through the crack. The room was hot so I go to kick on the AC and it was so loud I could not use it. I decided to walk to In-N-Out to decompress and that was fantastic.

Upon returning I went to put some food in the fridge and out came the most putrid smell I have ever encountered. I went to the front desk and no one was around. There were a couple of ladies waiting to check in who were waiting for a while. I went back to my room, made another reservation elsewhere and left in the morning. I tried to eat the normally consistent HIX breakfast and even that was awful. When I went to check out I told the lady I was heading out early due to the issues. She said okay and that was that, no apology, not interested in the problems at all. She probably has this happen a lot. I usually like HI and HIX because there is a pretty consistent offering you are going to get, nothing great but usually not god awful like this one. As a Spire member, I have become accustomed to not getting much of anything anywhere, but I would have liked to not get the worst room on the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.