Community
Wiki Posts
Search

check your account if you cancel a reward booking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

check your account if you cancel a reward booking

I've had a few bookings with IHG which I've had to cancel - well within the allowed cancellation period. Once cancelled, I received the email with a cancellation number and just assumed that the points would be reinstated to my account. I was surprised to see only the original deduction of points, without the reinstatement, several months after the cancellation. There's an online form to fill out through the IHG website. It's easy to do, the response was quick, and the points are now back in my account. If I hadn't noticed, the points would never have made their way back into my account. The lesson is to always pay attention to the details.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ejay
I've had a few bookings with IHG which I've had to cancel - well within the allowed cancellation period. Once cancelled, I received the email with a cancellation number and just assumed that the points would be reinstated to my account. I was surprised to see only the original deduction of points, without the reinstatement, several months after the cancellation. There's an online form to fill out through the IHG website. It's easy to do, the response was quick, and the points are now back in my account. If I hadn't noticed, the points would never have made their way back into my account. The lesson is to always pay attention to the details.
Sorry to hear you had that experience. I always check as well. With IHG I see them back in my account the second after I hit the cancel button. I get the points back before I recieve the email. Hilton on the other hand can take over 3 days to see them back.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I've had that happen only once to me.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:11 am

I think it’s happened to me and on both occasions the physical cancellation was done over a weekend. I seem to remember some discussion a while back that it wasn’t that uncommon when cancelling a points booking on a Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited by chrism20; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:12 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
This has also just happened to me for the first time, but I immediately emailed IHG customer services and they've returned the points without any fuss. I wonder if there's something triggering this issue like the hotel pre-allocating a room or it being after you receive the "Details for your upcoming stay" email?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

I have never had this problem and I hope it would not happen to me yet! More details needed from your guys who had the problem like:
When did you book it?
When was the stay for?
When did you cancel it?

Otherwise I don't think anyone would have an idea about what is happening.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
I have never had this problem and I hope it would not happen to me yet! More details needed from your guys who had the problem like:
When did you book it?
When was the stay for?
When did you cancel it?

Otherwise I don't think anyone would have an idea about what is happening.
My reward stay was booked in February and was for last night. I cancelled it on 6th June, so 2 days before check-in. Cancellation deadline was 1400 on 7th June.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

One reward stay was reserved on Nov 2, cancelled Nov 3. Check-in date would have been Nov 6 and was within the cancellation without penalty period.

Another stay was reserved on Jan 26 2018 and cancelled later the same day. The booking was for February 20, well within the cancellation period.

In both cases I immediately received an email confirming the cancellation, and just assumed the points would automatically go into my account. Once I noticed the problem, months later, IHG quickly reinstated the points and it took very little effort on my part. But it surprised me that it didn't happen without an extra nudge from me which is why I thought fellow travelers ought to be careful about paying attention to their points balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.