Search

Recurring False Honor Bar Charges at Kimpton

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, American, United, Amtrak, Enterprise
Recurring False Honor Bar Charges at Kimpton

Hi fellow Kimpton-lovers!

I originally picked up Inner Circle status with a bunch of business-related nights at the Kimpton Monaco in Philadelphia. I never touched the Honor Bar there, or if I did it was covered by a Raid the Bar credit. However, I recently started staying at other Kimptons, and about 50% of the time, I find a small charge added to my bill after I leave. I call in, they tell me it's an honor bar charge, I tell them I never used the Honor Bar [I never did, but do sometimes open the bar to add my own stuff to it, like leftovers], and they remove it, or they at least say they will. Has this been others' experience with Kimpton as well? It's not terrible, but is tedious, and just wondering if I've had a piece of bad luck recently or if this is others' experience as well, or maybe it's just property-specific or something.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the technology, many of the new machines will charge for an item if it is moved or if you insert something in its place. Usually this is noted on the mini-bar or on a card, e.g. "not for personal stuff" or something like that.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire / Kimpton Inner Circle, Delta Plat
I stay at Kimptons quite often, and it happens way too much. They always take care of it when I call, but I just hate having to deal with it.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
This is an infamous and well-known "feature" of staying at Kimpton hotels. It's infuriating.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Depending on the technology, many of the new machines will charge for an item if it is moved or if you insert something in its place. Usually this is noted on the mini-bar or on a card, e.g. "not for personal stuff" or something like that.
I've seen these too - mostly in Europe. Usually it's been a little lever that when the item is taken off resets. I have not seen these at Kimptons, but maybe the technology is now too advanced to be seen!
Old May 31, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

@hurrykane and @nineworldseries It's too bad this happens routinely, but at the same time, I'm sort of happy I'm not the only one. Thanks for confirming that you've experienced it too!
Old May 31, 2018, 1:56 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately I have also yet seen a Kimpton with an automatic minibar, and it would actually help with these erroneous charges if they did have them. I believe the charges are because: (a) with the Raid the Bar credit (which used to be offered to all Kimpton Karma members booking directly, but is now only for IHG elites), it's likely that the uptake on minibar items is higher than at other properties and (b) clearly some properties are not completing the daily minibar checks before a new guest checks into the room.

I've only had to deal with this a handful of times with Kimpton, and the a quick call to the hotel's accounting department has always resulted in the charge being reversed, however it is certainly annoying.
brownoarsman likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Happened to me in Baltimore last week. Charged for M&Ms and a small water, around $15. I took the water, but not the candy. I've been told the $5 over the Raid the Bar charge should be refunded, but it hasn't happened yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.