4th Night Free using points

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

4th Night Free using points

I have 4 consecutive awards nights already reserved for Bora Bora this Summer. I had to piece them together over several months so each is its own seperate reservation. Obviously these were all booked before the card that came available this week was announced.

So a couple questions for anyone who might know.

1) Do the 4 consecutive nights need to be under one reservation to get the 4th night free?

2) If I get the new Premier Card now, will I be able to get the 4th night free, based on rewards reservations held with the old IHG Chase card?

Thanks
Dave
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
The T&C state that it has to be a single four night reservation, but your second question is interesting and I am curious as to the same! Personally I have a few 4+ night vacation reservations coming up this summer already booked and I'm wondering if I get the new CC will that benefit apply to those old reservations or will I need to cancel & rebook ( which i can't do on some as i booked them a few months back before devaluation and the pts per night has since increased).

And, has anybody been able to verify how it works? For example there is staybridge suites PDX I'm looking to book which is showing for 20k night usual rate. So for 4 night do we

---need 80k and then book 80k like usual and get refunded the 4th night after staying ( i.e. get back 20k after the stay kinda like the current 10% rebates)

OR

--- do we just need 60k to book it ( i.e. they'll charge 20k 1st night, 20k 2nd night, 20k 3rd night and 0 for 4th night- kinda like how spg does)

Thanks in advance all for any info!!!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
According to the T&C on the Traveler card (that's the only one I checked), it should be zero points for the fourth night.

"With this benefit, eligible members will be charged the Reward Night point redemption rate for the first 3 nights, and 0 points for the 4th night of the stay, as applicable."
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm curious about this too. Is it hard coded into the booking for the holders of the new card, such that if a hotel costs 30,000 points per night, and an eligible cardholder searches on the website, it will show 4 nights costing 90,000 points, whereas a non-cardholder performing the search will see the cost as 120,000 nights? That's how the Hilton website works.

Or does everyone, cardholder and non-cardholder alike see a cost of 120,000 points for four nights, and they book for 120,000 points, and then the cardholder gets a 30,000 point rebate later?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm curious about this too. Is it hard coded into the booking for the holders of the new card, such that if a hotel costs 30,000 points per night, and an eligible cardholder searches on the website, it will show 4 nights costing 90,000 points, whereas a non-cardholder performing the search will see the cost as 120,000 nights? That's how the Hilton website works.

Or does everyone, cardholder and non-cardholder alike see a cost of 120,000 points for four nights, and they book for 120,000 points, and then the cardholder gets a 30,000 point rebate later?
i would assume that the rebate is issued later as the 10% rebate was
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen

i would assume that the rebate is issued later as the 10% rebate was
Have done more research...

Looks like you will need to reserve with new card to get the benefit(s). Would be curious if you could call IHG and tell them you are canceling the old card and want to update them with the new card?

I would also assume the discount does not get applied until the stay is complete given some of the language related to the benefit.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Asked IHG if the benefit would apply to existing bookings and they said no it needs to be a new one. So I created a new one and was only charged 150k points (vs 200k for 4 nights). So the benefit is even better than expected as you don't need the points for the 4th night to book the stay.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Hi,

Asked IHG if the benefit would apply to existing bookings and they said no it needs to be a new one. So I created a new one and was only charged 150k points (vs 200k for 4 nights). So the benefit is even better than expected as you don't need the points for the 4th night to book the stay.
That of course depends on your point of view - if you have the old card and/or have Ambassador status - the 10% rebate would be on 75% of the points, not 100%.

So if you have both cards or Ambassador status the total cost is now 67.5% of the cost as opposed to 65% if it was true rebate.
If you have both cards and Ambassador status the totcal cost is now 60% of the cosras opposed to 55% if it was a true rebate.

Not very significant, but still not as good as it could be.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Hi,

Thx for the DP, and it confirmed what I thought all along, that existing reses wouldnt be grandfathered in since the computer wouldnt be able to apply a refund of pts when the total number is different and the res will be coded differently for 3 for 4
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Have not received my card (as Chase was so gracious to approve the card and then shut me down for having too many accounts) but the cards seem to have been linked to IHG so the 4th night was free.
Lets see what happens in a few month.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:04 am

Have not received my card (as Chase was so gracious to approve the card and then shut me down for having too many accounts) but the cards seem to have been linked to IHG so the 4th night was free.
Do you have a separate post about your shutdown that you can point to? If not, can you please shed some details on how many cards you had with Chase and how many cards you got in the last 6/12/24 months?
Thanks..
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:52 am

I had 10 cards with Chase (two just approved by them > they caused the shutdown)
25 new cards in the last 24 month (6 chase)
5 new cards in the last 12 month (2 chase)
3 new cards in the last 6 month (2 chase)
Number of CC and CL was in a constant downwards movement for the last few years. Spend a lot private and business and have changing needs (i.e. corporate travel guideline or private changed in loyalty program) so I every 1 or 2 years readjusted my card collection so I have the best set up (Hilton Amex with Diamond etc.)
Lets of income for my CL, never a single late payment etc.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:39 am

I had 10 cards with Chase (two just approved by them > they caused the shutdown)
3 new cards in the last 6 month (2 chase)
I'm assuming the 2 Chase cards you are referring here in the last 6 months are the ones you just applied to and caused a shutdown?
Also, which 2 cards did you apply to?
Thanks for the info and sorry for the loss...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:57 am

The newly offered cards - Iberia and IHG premium
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How long did that take? I was approved a few days ago but still not showing 4th night free. I'm assuming you did not have to input the new card number as the credit card to hold the reservation in order to get the 4th night free?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.