Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

"Qualified Spending" calculation doesn't understand conversion rates?

Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat

recently completed a stay at IC HK and it seems qualified spending takes the USD spend equivalent and assumes that's the original currency then RE-CONVERTS to USD at the HKD>USD rate. is this a known issue, and if so, do i need to call to have them adjust?

as context, the entire stay was room spend minus about US$50 for laundry.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:07 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
That’s an error, often see the rate ex tax is assumed to be inc tax and the tax taken off.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was the stay at a rate eligible for mileage earning. I would doube that it has just converted to USD , taken taxes off and then reclassified that as HKD to then convert to USD again
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

i get the tax taken out, but the rate minus taxes was 814USD. here, they're thinking it's HKD and then re-converting to USD.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Spitcool
i get the tax taken out, but the rate minus taxes was 814USD. here, they're thinking it's HKD and then re-converting to USD.
Yes, I have seen the new website doing this. It is obviously just another bug in the website.

You just need to check what actually posts to your IHG Rewards Club account, to see whether a claim is required
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have had that before in my account it must be a fault with there system was worried it might impact getting RA status but it did not.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks y'all, that's what i was looking for
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Aha, I couldn't work out my last postings (the points were correct, but the financial calculations were strange). Makes sense if they've applied an exchange rate twice, for some reason....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I saw this too on my stay last week, but it posted the correct number to my account, so I think it's just (another) aesthetic bug...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.