Thoughts about IHG Hotels in Paris

Old Feb 10, 18, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thoughts about IHG Hotels in Paris

Following IHG properties look great from Location. Any experience with them? what is your recommendation or your warnings?Indigo Opera
Intercontinental le Grand
Holiday Inn Opera Grand Boulevards
Holiday Inn Notre Dame
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
I've stayed in all of these, some several times. They're all good choices. It comes down to what you're looking for. If you like a classic hotel with large public spaces, then go with the IC Le Grand. Indigo has the best rooms. If money is a consideration, go with Holiday Inn. Regarding HI, I think Notre Dame is a nicer property than Grands Blvds.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: all
IC and Indigo are best options. They are 3 mins walk from each other. The indigo is on a very quiet internal steet

The IC takes the whole block on rue scribe and faces the Opera
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:08 pm

Programs: Ihg Spire, Amb
You think Indigo has better rooms than le grand? No snarkiness, real question (I’ve only been to the IC), curious to hear your thoughts on the comparison.
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72 View Post
You think Indigo has better rooms than le grand? No snarkiness, real question (I’ve only been to the IC), curious to hear your thoughts on the comparison.
depends on what level. I'm an RA and spend a lot of nights at the IC Grand in Paris every year so I would never stay at the Indigo

But basic room to room, Indigo has better rooms. (modern, much newer) The IC in getting refurbished. Just started. Will take 3 years

Ic is also much more expensive
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 12, 18 at 1:27 am Reason: language
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pantanal View Post
depends on what level. I'm an RA and spend a lot of nights at the IC Grand in Paris every year so I would never stay at the Indigo

But basic room to room, Indigo has better rooms. (modern, much newer) The IC in getting refurbished. Just started. Will take 3 years

Ic is also much more expensive
If we are talking the cheapest room, Le Grand is generally around the same price as the Indigo. As RA you should never choose Indigo because at Le Grand you will get a suite, mini-bar and club. But as the OP does not have AMB status, he might be better off at the Indigo.

For the other properties, the HI Notre Dame is the better choice. They have plenty of good room upgrades for a Platinum. Grand Boulevards rooms are very tiny. They are located in very different parts of Paris though, so maybe choose on location.
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 12, 18 at 1:28 am Reason: edited quoted post
Old Feb 11, 18, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
If we are talking the cheapest room, Le Grand is generally around the same price as the Indigo. As RA you should never choose Indigo because at Le Grand you will get a suite, mini-bar and club. But as the OP does not have AMB status, he might be better off at the Indigo.

For the other properties, the HI Notre Dame is the better choice. They have plenty of good room upgrades for a Platinum. Grand Boulevards rooms are very tiny. They are located in very different parts of Paris though, so maybe choose on location.
IC Paris rates have gone up from this January. Both in terms of $ rates because they have a lot fewer rooms now (refurbishment) Also its a 70k point redemption while I think the Indigo is still 50k. The GM showed me one of the new rooms. They are much nicer but still use the same furniture etc

The indigo is a better bet for a non RA. As i mentioned the rooms are modern and nice, The classic room in the Ic is crap
Old Feb 11, 18, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pantanal View Post
IC Paris rates have gone up from this January. Both in terms of $ rates because they have a lot fewer rooms now (refurbishment) Also its a 70k point redemption while I think the Indigo is still 50k. The GM showed me one of the new rooms. They are much nicer but still use the same furniture etc

The indigo is a better bet for a non RA. As i mentioned the rooms are modern and nice, The classic room in the Ic is crap
I just did a random search in April and Le Grand comes in at 339 versus Indigo at 314. Not much of a difference. I would not pay that much for the Indigo, instead choosing one of the HI's for much less. But as you know being RA changes everything.

Le Grand classic rooms are not crap. They are very well appointed and very tiny. The bed and bedding quality is great, but you have little space in the room as the bed takes up most of it. But yes the reward nights cost 15K more at Le Grand. (Indigo is 55k now).
Old Feb 11, 18, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I just did a random search in April and Le Grand comes in at 339 versus Indigo at 314. Not much of a difference. I would not pay that much for the Indigo, instead choosing one of the HI's for much less. But as you know being RA changes everything.

Le Grand classic rooms are not crap. They are very well appointed and very tiny. The bed and bedding quality is great, but you have little space in the room as the bed takes up most of it. But yes the reward nights cost 15K more at Le Grand. (Indigo is 55k now).

basic rooms at indigo are 30 to 50 percent larger. Modern rooms no issues with bathrooms. I spent over 150 nights in the last two years at the IC Grand. Even their prestige opera view suites that I stay in have issues with bathroom showers, doors, leaks, window issues.. Thats why the hotel is getting refurbished
Old Feb 11, 18, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
thanks everybody for the time to answer!
Old Feb 11, 18, 8:56 pm

Just my 2 cents. The IC Le Grand rooms are old and worn out, so it's about time they upgraded them. But if they're using the same old scratched up furniture, that's a negative. The service is still exemplary, the staff do go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I even don't mind that I get security checked almost every time I come back in to the hotel. I feel the ounce of prevention is better than heaven forbid something awful getting through.

I've also stayed at the CP Republique which isn't bad either. But I got upgrade to one of their JR Suites (no view, but a big room).

But may Favorite for both price and locale is Holiday Inn Auteuil, which is in the South East Corner of Paris. I like it because it's not in a tourist area, but lots of nice local shops around, in a high-end part of Paris. It's literally steps from the Metro, and its pretty affordable compared to the other IHG properties in the center of Paris. The rooms are a bit smaller.
BinSabai and bitterproffit like this.
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Spire Ambassador
[QUOTE=But may Favorite for both price and locale is Holiday Inn Auteuil, which is in the South East Corner of Paris. I like it because it's not in a tourist area, but lots of nice local shops around, in a high-end part of Paris. It's literally steps from the Metro, and its pretty affordable compared to the other IHG properties in the center of Paris. The rooms are a bit smaller.[/QUOTE]

I agree, only HI Auteuil is in the South West corner of Paris.
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:10 am

Has anyone stayed at the HI Montmartre (30k/night)? The Montmartre neighborhood looks nice but it is obviously not as central. Debating between that and the HI Grand Blvd (35k) and HI Notre Dame (45k). The Indigo isn't available on points and I'm not willing to shell out 70k/night for the IC considering we'll be spending most of our time outside the hotel. I'm non-AMB plat if that matters.
Old Feb 28, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
The refurbished rooms at the IC use the same style of furniture, not the actual same old table and chairs. New rooms are lovely, I've posted pics on this forum FYI.

Personally - while I like the Indigo brand in general - I can't see how the rooms at Indigo Paris are nicer than the ones at the IC. More modern, sure, but pretty pokey...and the plastic flooring is not my thing.

As an IHG Plat I'd say the OP has a good chance of being upgraded at the IC (probably at the Indigo too, to be fair) so wouldn't be in the smallest Classic rooms.

As for best property - in my opinion, HI Notre Dame is in the best location as a tourist, but none of the hotels mentioned are in bad locations.

Aside from price and style preferences, I think transport should be a guiding factor in chosing. If the OP is getting to central Paris by public transport, Notre Dame first, and IC/Indigo second are winners as they're close to RER - handy for those arriving from airports.
Old Feb 28, 19, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
Has anyone stayed at the HI Montmartre (30k/night)? The Montmartre neighborhood looks nice but it is obviously not as central. Debating between that and the HI Grand Blvd (35k) and HI Notre Dame (45k). The Indigo isn't available on points and I'm not willing to shell out 70k/night for the IC considering we'll be spending most of our time outside the hotel. I'm non-AMB plat if that matters.
The HI Montmartre is not only far from the action, but the rooms are very tiny and the walk to the metro is quite a climb. If you are fit, don't mind small rooms and want a less touristy neighborhood, then it's fine. The Grands Boulevards rooms are also small, but the location is great. Notre Dame has the best rooms, the best neighborhood and the rooftop bar with the perfect Eiffel Tower view seals the deal. But that's why it's the most expensive.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: