Pay more to pre-pay breakfast?

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Pay more to pre-pay breakfast?

Was just staying at a Holiday Inn, and when making my reservations, saw the option to book a room and for $12.50 more, get the breakfast. I don't do that, so I just ignored it, and booked the room. There's rarely ever been a breakfast worth $12 in my experience.

Still, by the time my day at the hotel comes along, I discover that the lunch being provided for our meeting there won't have anything I will eat, and I am on the company dime with a boss that chides me for "not spending enough on your meals. Stop eating so cheaply!", so... I go ahead and drop by the food area that morning, and decide to splurge and get the $12 breakfast buffet. It will tide me over until dinner, 10 hours later or so.

Had the buffet, it was fine (not really anything better than HIE, by the way... eggs, bacon, sausage, gravy, biscuits, etc.), and when they brought me the bill... $7.50.

So... what's the deal? If I paid $12.50 for it in advance, I get a free buffet ticket (I saw two other people come in and use them). But if I don't pay in advance, then I save $5?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by graeylin
So... what's the deal? If I paid $12.50 for it in advance, I get a free buffet ticket (I saw two other people come in and use them). But if I don't pay in advance, then I save $5?
Isn't the prepaid breakfast usually good for 2 people? So, it'd be $15 if there were two people; $12.50 if paid in advance.
mathprof and trooper like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:55 pm

Wow, usually it's the other way around.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Was just staying at a Holiday Inn, and when making my reservations, saw the option to book a room and for $12.50 more, get the breakfast. I don't do that, so I just ignored it, and booked the room. There's rarely ever been a breakfast worth $12 in my experience.

Still, by the time my day at the hotel comes along, I discover that the lunch being provided for our meeting there won't have anything I will eat, and I am on the company dime with a boss that chides me for "not spending enough on your meals. Stop eating so cheaply!", so... I go ahead and drop by the food area that morning, and decide to splurge and get the $12 breakfast buffet. It will tide me over until dinner, 10 hours later or so.

Had the buffet, it was fine (not really anything better than HIE, by the way... eggs, bacon, sausage, gravy, biscuits, etc.), and when they brought me the bill... $7.50.

Actually the prepay reduced rate breakfast is not even that simple, and the substantially discounted tickbox rates are not going to be offered at the hotel.

1. Not offered on award or corporate rate nights
2. The tickbox upsell often varies on the same night depending on your selected rate of Members ADR, ADR, Members Flex, Flex, with rate reducing from Mbr ADR > Flex
3. The tickbox rate is often a substantial discount, worthwhile if room is 2ppn, but if 1ppn in room not a saving as never less than 50% of 2persons breakfast. Rate is offered to help plan food prep quantities, guarantee bums on seats to cover restaurant/staff costs each morning, reduce food waste costs etc
4. At checkin that tickbox rate is not on offer at any hotel, not even the costliest ADR tickbox amount. On flex I have seen as low as us$5/night compared to $20 on full (non-member) ADR
5. At checkin you find usually 2 options... a)pay the going rate on sit down b)register at reception night before (or get voucher) for discounted breakfast at maybe 20% or us$5-10 off walkup restaurant rate.
(At some hotels, you can only take a discounted breakfast a i)checkin time ii)AND need to take on each morning of stay if multinight reservation

nb
On the odd occasions I am on flex rate on 1ppn booking, I will take a tickbox brealfast if a really low figure, but usually on 1ppn stays, tickbox is not lower than 1person fee on the day I eat. Plus I mostly book corp rate so don't get the tickbox option anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Isn't the prepaid breakfast usually good for 2 people? So, it'd be $15 if there were two people; $12.50 if paid in advance.
Perhaps it is... I haven't traveled to an IHG property with a second person in a decade, probably.

So, could I grab a random homeless guy from the freeway on ramp, and give them the other breakfast ticket then?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I usually won't prepay for breakfast. However I have occasionally seen it offered for like $8, but it includes everyone in the room. This can be a decent breakfast at a Crowne Plaza.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:01 am

So, could I grab a random homeless guy from the freeway on ramp, and give them the other breakfast ticket then?
Yes, as long as you follow the IHG Ts+Cs and sleep with them as well
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Yes, as long as you follow the IHG Ts+Cs and sleep with them as well
Eh, double beds, could be done.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Eh, double beds, could be done.
Ah, so your charity is not boundless
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
3. The tickbox rate is often a substantial discount, worthwhile if room is 2ppn, but if 1ppn in room not a saving as never less than 50% of 2persons breakfast. Rate is offered to help plan food prep quantities, guarantee bums on seats to cover restaurant/staff costs each morning, reduce food waste costs etc
One exception is the Irvine Spectrum Holiday Inn. Breakfast for up to 2 per room has always been $5 or so compared to around $15 each if paid at the restaurant. I usually book a cancelable AAA rate (breakfast add on not offered) at first then change to a usually cheaper prepaid with breakfast when travel plans are certain.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
The "with breakfast" rates usually apply to double occupancy. In this case, that would be the better deal.
Always beware if staying single occupancy.
I've also seen people game this option -- especially folks traveling who get a meal per-diem and end up booking rates that include breakfast and pocketing the difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.