Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
A tradition of Kimpton is to have secret social passwords periodically during the year (note - this means there are periods when there isn't a password). Any guest mentioning the password at check-in will be given an amenity at the discretion of the hotel. This thread lists the current password and what members received.

Based on recent history, there is a winter password that starts around the US Thanksgiving Holiday in November through the end of February and a summer password that starts around the US Memorial Day Weekend in May and ends around the US Labor Day Holiday in September.

Current Password "Chalet All Day"
Valid Between 1 December 2023 and 29 February 2024

Official postings will come from Kimpton via social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and X (fka., Twitter).
The thread documenting what was offered in previous years may be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...rd-thread.html

Q. What happens if a property isn't aware of the secret password promotion?
A. If you have a mobile device, go to Kimpton's Facebook or Instagram feed, find their post announcing the secret password, and show it to the uninformed staff member. If needed, escalate to a supervisor. After the fact, send a note to IHG Customer Care or post a message via social media to Kimpton's attention.

Q. Is the promotion limited to IHG Rewards/IC Ambassador members only?
A. No, the promotion is open to any guest with a reservation at the hotel.

Q. Is the promotion good for award stays or is it only for paid stays?
A. The promotion is good for any stay, paid or award.

Q. What if I forget to mention the password when I check in?
A. You can always try and mention it at the front desk later during your stay and see if they will honor it. YMMV.

Older Post
November 2017 to December 2018
Print Wikipost

The Kimpton Hotels Secret Password Experience Thread (2019 Onward)

Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:17 pm

Kimpton Taconic disappointment

I gave the secret password today (12/21/19) at the Kimpton Taconic in Manchester, VT and was told that they are currently “paying it forward” for Christmas. They asked me to choose an ornament off the tree and they would donate a book to a local child. While I appreciate the gesture, and was glad to do so, this felt very cheap. They should have done this in ADDITION to providing a higher-valued amenity. I love paying it forward but this does nothing to reward members. I’ve noticed that others have gotten free parking, free breakfast, dinner credit, etc. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Three platinums in front of me didn’t even know about the password - it doesn’t seem to be very well-known and there were a lot of ornaments on the tree so they are barely donating any books anyways. It is something they should just be doing To help the community, not making it the Secret password offer. Should I try to ask again for something else in addition to this?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by googs185
I gave the secret password today (12/21/19) at the Kimpton Taconic in Manchester, VT and was told that they are currently “paying it forward” for Christmas. They asked me to choose an ornament off the tree and they would donate a book to a local child. While I appreciate the gesture, and was glad to do so, this felt very cheap. They should have done this in ADDITION to providing a higher-valued amenity. I love paying it forward but this does nothing to reward members. I’ve noticed that others have gotten free parking, free breakfast, dinner credit, etc. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Three platinums in front of me didn’t even know about the password - it doesn’t seem to be very well-known and there were a lot of ornaments on the tree so they are barely donating any books anyways. It is something they should just be doing To help the community, not making it the Secret password offer. Should I try to ask again for something else in addition to this?
I absolutely would ask for something else and be forward with your suggestion instead of letting them make the first move. Might also try tweeting a message to Kimpton. They’re very responsive.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Kimpton De Witt - Amsterdam

Earlier this week was given a voucher for a continental breakfast (which I never used)
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Graf von B
I absolutely would ask for something else and be forward with your suggestion instead of letting them make the first move. Might also try tweeting a message to Kimpton. They’re very responsive.
do you think they’ll respond today Being that it is a weekend? I did tweet them about an hour ago or so. I don’t want to sound entitled, do you think what I am asking for is reasonable?

they replied asking me to email them, which I did over an hour ago. I let them know I’d like this resolved during our stay of one night here-breakfast, dinner credit, etc not points after the fact. No reply yet.

Last edited by SudOvest; Dec 21, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by googs185
do you think they’ll respond today Being that it is a weekend? I did tweet them about an hour ago or so. I don’t want to sound entitled, do you think what I am asking for is reasonable?

they replied asking me to email them, which I did over an hour ago. I let them know I’d like this resolved during our stay of one night here-breakfast, dinner credit, etc not points after the fact. No reply yet.
I got a pretty quick reply the time I did tweet/email them as they requested. I personally think your concern is totally valid!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Graf von B
I got a pretty quick reply the time I did tweet/email them as they requested. I personally think your concern is totally valid!
Thank you for the advice! The tweet worked magic! They remembered our anniversary and sent up a nice cheese platter and champagne and some maple syrup and truffles and when we checked out the resort fee was nowhere to be found in the bill. Awesome!!
puck021 and Graf von B like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by puck021
Hotel Monaco DC

Choice of a Gift box (candy, fidget spinner, and some other stuff), Free Movie and Popocorn or $40 bar credit. The choice was obvious. Way to go Monaco.
What am I doing wrong? Certainly doesn’t sound like my experience and I routinely stay at this property (since they opened). What I’ve received has been pathetic.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Canary SB: 2 drink vouchers
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Rust, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I stayed at Kimpton Charlotte Square Edinburgh last week. Gave the secret passwords at check in and the guy said 'leave it with me'.
Later in the day I had a knock at the door and a basket containing craft beers, posh chocolate, crisps and a postcard. I was up to see my dad but the card wished my brother well. Sadly he died 20 years ago.
Ah well, it's the thought that counts.
puck021 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:15 pm

Palomar San Diego

$35 f&b credit. Nice!
puck021 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:09 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Hotel Arras, Asheville NC

Choice of Atelier Bloem Travel Gift Set or Kimpton Scent Sachet. (Both list price for $20 on kimptonstyle.com.)

Stunning new hotel, by the way!
puck021 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bartolo
What am I doing wrong? Certainly doesn’t sound like my experience and I routinely stay at this property (since they opened). What I’ve received has been pathetic.
I would ask them. I find them very responsive to questions or suggestions. I stay there a lot as well.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by puck021
I would ask them. I find them very responsive to questions or suggestions. I stay there a lot as well.
Interesting thought. Thank you. Last time I used the password (summer 2019) I got a branded glass. Looked like they just took it from the bar. So different than what is often described in this thread.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
How do you know which Kimpton properties are participating in the promotion? Anyone used at the Surfcomber in Miami?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:48 am

All Kimptons participate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.