FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

FLYGVA Dec 31, 2017 6:45 am

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Fellow flyertalkers,

discuss and guess when we will see pointbreaks in 2018 as suggested by travelkid in his post. A new thread seems better than to continue the old one.

Our goal is to keep this thread helpful and informative. Therefore I ask you to post in this thread only question related to point breaks such as (but not limited to):
  • practice
  • information about hotel appearing and disappearing on the list
  • booking (and maybe cancelation) questions
  • link to hotel reviews

If you have indication, when and if pointbreaks will be available, please give details for the source (e.g. was told (i.e. yestersday / on July 25th) by (the front desk / lounge agent / member of staf) of the (HIX City / a Holiday Inn in London) ...). I am fully aware that a reference to the source should / must be avoided, on the other hand, an indication is needed, that there was such a statement. It is a matter of trust and for us moderators difficult to differentiate between a joke post / rumor / trustd source.

Rumors, if the Point breaks are discontinued should only be posted, if you have a source for it and can name it (e.g. someone mentioned it in a hotel and you trust this source, etc.). Question, which hotels will be on the next point break list, could not really be answered. You might check the pointbreak hotel list thread about the history of CP and ICs on the pointbreak list.

All other discussions are not very helpful for person, who are new to this forum and do not know how to understand this discussion. I therefore aks you to post this kind of discussion in our Lounge Thread . I will move all non-topic discussions to this thread, so they are still available, but keep this thread a bit more useful.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and sorry for being once again the fun stopper - but such is life as a moderator.

FLYGVA
moderator IHG Forum

mster Jan 4, 2018 3:56 am

Stayed at Okayama CP. Great experience overall. Property appears to have been updated recently and is much nicer than other Japanese "ANA Crowne Plaza" locations. Proximity to the Okayama JR station is unbeatable too.

As others have mentioned Okayama is a perfect base to use for exploring Japan using regional JR Rail Passes (prices for these vary tremendously though depending on regions covered and duration of pass so do your research). I used a single JR West Sanyo San-in Area Pass to visit Fukuoka, Hiroshima / Miyajima, Osaka, Kyoto & Nara!

FFlash Jan 4, 2018 4:17 am

While on 2018 thread, I am already expecting the new list as of Feb due to the latest devaluations taking place, making pointbreaks "kind of" more valuable. Given availability of course :)

scubaccr Jan 4, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 29248314)
While on 2018 thread, I am already expecting the new list as of Feb due to the latest devaluations taking place, making pointbreaks "kind of" more valuable. Given availability of course :)

Except the major cities with increases eg London, Edinburgh, NYC hotels will never normally be on any PB list. Last two London PBs were outer-outer London, Croydon and Dartford HIEs, nothing ever in eg Paris, Amsterdam
and of course the 50/60/70k IC's never come up on PB either.

Concerto Jan 5, 2018 2:53 am

I too think that Pointbreaks have suddenly developed a new sort of value, due to the suddenly increased points required for a large number of properties. I look forward to the next list which I am expecting to appear in late January, following the pattern of previous lists.

1flyer Jan 5, 2018 3:34 am

Suppose initially, an apple and a banana cost 1€ each. Then the price of a banana rises to 2€ while the price of an apple remains at 1€.

Has an apple become cheaper? Only relatively to bananas! Great if you have a banana plantation, but not great if you're sitting on euros. Even if the price of an apple remained unchanged, the value of your euros has still fallen!

I hope everyone's catching the analogy (IHG points correspond to euros).

FFlash Jan 5, 2018 4:55 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 29250318)
Except the major cities with increases eg London, Edinburgh, NYC hotels will never normally be on any PB list. Last two London PBs were outer-outer London, Croydon and Dartford HIEs, nothing ever in eg Paris, Amsterdam
and of course the 50/60/70k IC's never come up on PB either.

Originally Posted by 1flyer (Post 29252685)
Suppose initially, an apple and a banana cost 1€ each. Then the price of a banana rises to 2€ while the price of an apple remains at 1€.

Has an apple become cheaper? Only relatively to bananas! Great if you have a banana plantation, but not great if you're sitting on euros. Even if the price of an apple remained unchanged, the value of your euros has still fallen!

Evidently there is the point but if pointbreaks is a question of nutrition only, supposing both bananas and apples (or HIX vs IC) fulfill the target, then ...... you see :)

mster Jan 5, 2018 6:53 am

Looks like the IHG / Kimpton loyalty merger got bumped up from "Early 2018" to "January 2018". Anyone else curious if there'll be a Kimpton property on the Feb-Apr pointbreak list?

CalItalian Jan 5, 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 29253161)
Looks like the IHG / Kimpton loyalty merger got bumped up from "Early 2018" to "January 2018". Anyone else curious if there'll be a Kimpton property on the Feb-Apr pointbreak list?

Being that IC's have all but disappeared from the lists, don't count on it. Soon we'll be lucky if the is a CP.

milgom Jan 5, 2018 1:05 pm

I almost wish they devalued pointbreak list to 10k but with ICs in the list...

That said, I was extremely happy with my point break redemption in Okayama

Yokdoc Jan 5, 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1flyer (Post 29252685)

wow, pretty reasonable, could be from a German "Buchhalter". But are the majority of decision made reasonable? Rather not. That s why a "relative" price is more important than a purely scientific view would suggest.
The next time I book a standard reward night I will try to ignore the fact that it was recently 5 or 10k cheaper. But my next pointbreak booking will give unquestionably a better value because I save 5-10K more. Thats how life becomes nice and points hunting fun for me)

Fabo.sk Jan 8, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by milgom (Post 29254727)
I almost wish they devalued pointbreak list to 10k but with ICs in the list...

A two-tier pointbreak offer would be interesting. I still don't think they'd put ICs back in at 10k, or Kimptons.

1flyer Jan 8, 2018 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Yokdoc (Post 29255210)
wow, pretty reasonable, could be from a German "Buchhalter". But are the majority of decision made reasonable? Rather not. That s why a "relative" price is more important than a purely scientific view would suggest.

It has nothing to do with reasonable. It is a simple fact that your real income has fallen. Suppose your income in euro is 100. When an apple as well as a banana cost 1€ each, you can buy 100 pieces of fruit (in whatever composition of apples and bananas you desire). Once the price of the banana rises to 2€, the space within which you can decide gets smaller. There is a negative income effect. For instance, if you buy ten bananas, you can no longer afford 90 apples as well but only 80.

Whether the decisions you make are reasonable or not, it is simply a fact that there are fewer bundles of apples and bananas that you can feasibly buy given your income.

The analogy still carries over to IHG points. It is unambiguous that the devaluation makes you worse off. (Unless, of course, we're in the extreme case that you don't desire any award nights except those made available as point breaks. But that seems a quite far-fetched scenario.)

lf tom Jan 8, 2018 12:19 pm

Makes sense to me. Please pass the apples.

UKDegsy Jan 8, 2018 1:14 pm

Clearly I don't have your guys salaries if you can afford an apple for 1 euro and a banana for 2 euros :-)

UKD