Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Rewards Club Experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Holiday Inn Express - Manchester East

Holiday Inn Express - Manchester East. Stayed November 2018.

What is your Priority Club status?

Spire Elite

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Reasonably.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked standard double – received same.

How are the rooms?

They are all right. Basic with a TV, iron, mini ironing board and double bed. All very clean. Small bathroom with shower only (no bath). Usual HiX bathroom unguents in containers fixed to the walls. Ok for a brief one night stay.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn’t one.

What was good and what was bad?

Bad:

Check in – reception was a bit like a zoo- children and random people everywhere. Staff seemed busy although there was only me waiting to check in.

No aircon in rooms – just a small electric wall heater in bedroom with an electric fan for hot weather.

Not the sort of area to go for a wander after dark.

Middling:

A couple of vending machines in reception area selling drinks, snacks etc.

Rooms quite basic but functional – liquid soap/shower gel etc in containers fixed to the wall.

Sufficed for a 1 night stay.

Good:

Room very clean and modern looking. Plenty of electric sockets with usb ports.

Ample free car parking - car park well lit at night.

10/15 minutes drive to Manchester Airport depending on road conditions.

Complimentary breakfast reasonable by HiX standards.

Value for £ or Priority Club Points?

Not too bad for £55 per night I paid.

Would you return?

Probably not. I prefer the CP actually at MAN, but this sufficed for a one night 'pre-flight' stay (mainly so I could claim the 30,000 extra ihg points for staying at 3 different ihg brands).
FLYGVA and chrism20 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1flyer
How are the rooms?

Executive rooms feature a reasonably well-stocked free minibar. Otherwise, the rooms are on the smaller side (perhaps same as standard rooms?). The rooms are in good shape, though. Not sure about the bathroom, but the rest was recently renovated.
Nah, brand new hotel in a brand new building. I drive past that new hotel a lot.

Good: Location (not exactly in City Center but good public transport access; including relatively convenient for airport access). Service was really friendly. I thought the breakfast was quite good and above-average for the HI brand. My room was facing the courtyard and very quiet.
Hmm, not really a great location, not a lot within walking distance. One S-Bahn stop from Ostbahnhof, a few tram stops from Haidhausen's bars and restaurants.

Last edited by Maluku_Flyer; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Crowne Plaza Northstar - Minneapolis

Crowne Plaza Northstar - downtown Minneapolis

Platinum Elite

Mostly

Booked standard king - upgraded to club level executive king

How are the rooms?

Good sized, had a top floor corner room. Some wear and tear and could use some minor updating. Finally a room with USB ports on the desk! Refrigerator and safe in room.

How is the exec. lounge?

Nothing fancy, but a few tables for eating, a computer desk with printer, and a sitting area for reading and tv. Key access 24/7 for water and sodas. I did not take advantage, but continental breakfast in the morning, snacks in early evening, and later evening has dessert. (Small cheesecakes the night I was there.) Alcoholic beverages for sale.

The room was very cold. I had to crank up the heat, even though I like sleeping in a cold room. Good location in the business district, with a short walk to most places.

Reasonable.

Would you return?

Probably
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:49 am

Holiday Inn Kensington Forum London

Holiday Inn Kensington Forum London - Stayed November 2019

Spire Elite

Yes.

I booked a King Club Executive with lounge access and was given the same (was previously offered an upgrade but declined it).

How are the rooms?

Fairly bog-standard HI rooms. Has usual fixtures and fittings. Usual HI unguents in bathroom. The rooms are looking a little bit dated but are generally clean and comfortable. Was on the 20th floor with excellent views over London. Rooms have AC. Plenty of power sockets.

How is the exec. lounge?

Busy!. A bit small for the number of guests who have lounge access. The weekend I stayed coincided with Remembrance Sunday and the hotel was packed out with veterans (also my reason for being there). The free food and drinks in the lounge didn’t last very long!

What was good and what was bad? Good:

Location – a stone's throw from Gloucester Road Underground Station which is on the Piccadilly and Circle/District lines. Easy access to Heathrow via the Piccadilly line.

Separate check lane in for Elite guests.

Clean and comfortable.

Large general lounge.

Bad:

Cost of parking in the car park to the rear of the hotel is very expensive.

A large multi-floor hotel which can get very busy.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Decent value for central London. Usually a lot cheaper than the CP just over the road.

Would you return?

Most Likely
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:18 am

Holiday Inn Tadcaster Road York

Holiday Inn Tadcaster Road York - stayed November 2018

Spire Elite

Yes.

I booked a standard double and was given an ‘upgrade’ to an Executive Double room. The only difference I could see was the addition of two bottles of mineral water and a kit-kat chocolate bar!

How are the rooms?

Fairly bog-standard HI rooms. Has usual fixtures and fittings. Usual HI unguents in bathroom. My room on the 3rd floor appeared to be recently decorated.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn’t one.

Located on Tadcaster Road York. A 25-minute walk into the city centre.

This hotel has free parking, however parking can be difficult if the hotel is full as there are not enough spaces within the car park. I had to park on the street.

Friendly, helpful staff.

Backs onto York Race course, but a 15-minute walk to get to the entrance. Good buffet breakfast.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Decent value for York @ £54.50 on partner rate with 30% off. There is another Holiday Inn in York located within the city centre which is usually more expensive.

Would you return?

Yes

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 18, 2018 at 2:59 am Reason: typo in title
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:01 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

A friendly reminder, that we have a Ambassador Experience thread. For this reasaon, the reviews of Ambassador in Intercontinental hotels are moved to this thread.

Thank you.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Nah, brand new hotel in a brand new building. I drive past that new hotel a lot.
This used to be an angelo by Vienna House. It was renovated and expanded.

Hmm, not really a great location, not a lot within walking distance.
I didn't claim it has a lot within walking distance. I claimed it has good public transport access (particularly to/from the airport; also, it's just a 5-7 min ride to the city centre with the S-Bahn).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Holiday Inn Express Beijing Dongzhimen

Gold Elite

Yes

Booked and received standard twin bed, high floor

How are the rooms?
- Very standard HIEx with fridge and bathroom scale, functional space
- Bedside always-on universal socket with USB charging port
- Openable window (not that you want to open the window in Beijing air)
- Adjustable massage shower head with LUX (brand) squeezy shampoo-bodywash mix; fluffy slippers
- Kind of strange to set 2 hard pillows instead of hard+soft in each bed
- Office chair is flimsy; duvet is not thick (but enough)
- Soundproof is meh as sometimes hear horns and people talking. Fortunately not frequent and generally not disturbing.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
- Gold elite recognition with fruit plate in room and canned drinks for two (roommate not member)
- Above standard breakfast spread with freshly made eggs, bacon and noodles, hot dishes and local delicacies
- Front staff speaks good English
- Bright and large concourse
- Near workers' stadium and maybe Sanlitun pub district.
Meh:
- Restaurant is large but not that many seats
- If they put "not for drinking" sign at the tap, they could have made it easier to get extra bottled water within the hotel
​​​​​​- 15 mins walk from Dongzhimen metro or bus station, and not that easy to get taxi either.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
I think it's fair deal in Beijing city centre and the elite weekend promotion is a bargain. Okay to return, but maybe I'll try to find if any other choice at similar price but closer to metro.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by watery; Nov 25, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
CP Aberdeen Airport

CP Aberdeen Airport

What is your Priority Club status? Spire

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Very

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest room and were upgraded to a Club King.

How are the rooms? New, modern, clean, comfortable. Nespresso machine and assorted capsules, loads of tea bags plus hot chocolate, bottled water and shortbread. Bathrobe and slippers. Unstocked fridge next to the desk.

How is the exec. lounge? Quite short happy hour between 6-7. Wine, beer and spirits. Nibbles included chicken drumsticks, crisps and shortbread. No breakfast in the lounge but we were invited to partake on a complimentary basis from the buffet in the restaurant, priced for mere mortals at £15.95. Rest of the day was coffee, tea, soft drinks plus crisps, mars bars and shortbread.

What was good and what was bad? We were given two Spire bar vouchers for premium drinks and crisps on check in. There is a lovely clean gym that was under-utilised during our visit. The hotel is a short walk undercover from the airport. The lounge has a fab selection of board games.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We paid £50. At this rate we would be back every night! It’s cheaper than living at home. I have a rental property portfolio and a one bed flat rents for £365 per week. Council tax, utilities and food bills are on top of this.
FLYGVA and Carel1 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
ANA Holiday Inn Resort Miyazaki

ANA Holiday Inn Resort Miyazaki

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

YES, very much so.

Booked cheapest, received Premier Comfort Ocean View Room

How are the rooms?
33SQM. Two Beds (One King Bed and One Double Bed), 32inches SHARP LCD TV, Keurig Coffee Machine, Handy cellular phone service.

Video of Premier Comfort Ocean View Room:

How is the exec. lounge?
This hotel does not have exec. lounge.

What was your welcome gift?
Miyazaki local sweets and snack.

What was good?
++++++++++ Onsen Hot-springs
++++++++++ Beautiful Garden
++++++++ Many of summer resort attractions
+++++ Reasonable priced Japanese restaurant. Enjoyed Spiny Lobster Sashimi.
+++++ Delicious breakfast at Lagoon-Terrace Restaurant
+++++ In house convenience store

What was bad?
----- Public transportations are inconvenient
----- Bar is boring
----- No ATM in neighborhood

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes! JPY8000 is excellent value. This hotel’s ADR is around JPY10000.

Would you return?
Yes, Definitely!

FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Holiday Inn Express Cologne Muelheim

Spire

Yes

Standard
First time ever receiving a gift at an HIX!
There was a plate of fruits, Haribo packets and Milka chocolates waiting in the room.

How are the rooms?

Same European HIX design as found in multiple other places. Shower box, good plumbing and heating. Good lighting options and plug outlets.

Breakfast - only warm item (apart from drinks) was hard boiled eggs, but this is to be expected in Germany.

Croissants were crispy and fluffy, tasted like they were recently baked, even if they probably came from a supermarket.

Strangely every seating place was only provided with a knife, and no forks or spoons were available once the 5 or so that were placed in a tray on the buffet had been taken.

This is a hotel that is designed more for access by car. Public transport options are get to Muelheim station then bus 153 and 156 to Von-Lohe Strasse plus 5 min walk, or an 8 min walk including across a petrol station forecourt then along a narrow residential street to Berliner Strasse from where you can get tram 4 to Messe/Deutz station, or several other buses that bring you to other interchanges. I am grateful for a GPS that works well in the dark and rain.

Or in other words this is not a hotel where I would store my luggage after checking out and return to pick up later (even though the stupid automated luggage storage at Koeln Hbf is more trouble than it's worth and requires a member of staff to be out permanently solving problems compared to the simple (mostly) manual locker system at Duesseldorf Hbf).

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]

I paid 20K points, the paid rate was €150 at time of booking.

I only chose this because the city centre HIX (also 20K points) was fully booked even if paying, and my other go-to chain the Hilton was also fully booked with not even a Diamond reservation guarantee available. If I could have stayed the next night the Hilton would only have been €90. IHG / Hilton options in Duesseldorf and nearby were also full or far too expensive so this was the best next choice.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Holiday Inn Express Gibraltar

Spire

Yes

Received the room closest to the lifts on the highest floor available, which is what is set in my IHG preferences.

How are the rooms?

It's a new hotel. There was very little space in the room especially when the sofa bed is opened (couldn't be bothered to close it).

There was no desk and no chair, only a small pouffe and a tiny table about 1m².

Lots of lighting options. At least 10 plug sockets all around the room plus additional USB power outlets. Wifi was fine.

View from my window was completely filled with the Rock. Meanwhile the other side overlooks a cemetery, behind which is the airport and the border.

The bathroom design is different, not the "single door that flips between closing off the bathroom and closing off the toilet". There was a long-ish table with a sink, the toilet next to it then a shower. The shower was separated from the toilet by a 50cm wide piece of glass, resulting in unavoidable flooding of the entire bathroom regardless of how the shower head is oriented.

Apparently the bar is open 24/7 and the menu was more extensive than seen in other European HIXs.

Breakfast seemed to use real scrambled eggs, and better quality bacon/sausages/croissants than in UK HIXs, and it has a more modern and open feel rather than the school/office canteen feel you get in the UK.

£66 was a good price although you can get much cheaper if you cross to Spain (however the Holiday Inn Express over there is only really accessible by car).

If really necessary you can take bus 4 or 8 to St Theresa's Church from the town centre but everything is pretty much walkable.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Holiday Inn Express Shangdi Beijing

Gold Elite

Yes

Booked standard and received a standard corner room (sort-of) which seems larger and has a cloakroom (but still standard because there's no fridge)

How are the rooms?
- Very warm by default but adjustable
- Bedside socket but no USB and it's off when you take the room card out.
- Adjustable massage shower head with LUX (brand) squeezy shampoo-bodywash mix; fluffy slippers
- A comfortable office chair
- The rollaway bed I requested is the sofa bed which is thin but comfy enough.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
- Gold elite recognition with fruit plate in room and canned drinks for all three guests
- Above standard breakfast spread with freshly made eggs and noodles, hot dishes and local delicacies
- A convenience store within 1 minute reach
- There's a shuttle service in the morning to nearby tech companies, so that should be good for businessmen.
Meh:
- While my reservation has 3 persons in a room and rollaway bed set, there are only 2 sets of amenities like towels (yes there's a third duvet but no extra pillow? Really?) A simple call to reception has solved the issue though, so that's just a minor issue.
​​​​​​- It's not far from Yuanmingyuan (old summer palace) but it's still the edge of the town, so proximity to public transport doesn't help to cut the time to major attractions.

Rates especially the elite weekend promotion is so cheap, that I am happy to take taxis to overcome its location. Will return if I'm happy to stay at city northwest.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
InterContinental Osaka, Dec 2018

Platinum

Yup

Booked standard double – upgraded to Premium suite

How are the rooms?
around 50 sq meter, a separate clock room, writing desk area, living room, bedroom, shower with tub.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't use

Bad: Not like it's a bad thing but when you see Crowne plaza Kobe and Crowne Plaza Kyoto, both are renovated from an ANA hotel and looked not so modern, even they have USB ports available and none in IC.............

Good: Great service all around, i'm a repeating customer there and some staffs recognized me.

I paid USD400 a night and a week before i checked in, the price dropped down to USD250...hotel couldn't do anything about it....understood that this is a demand and supply thingy but USD150 difference is a lot.

Would you return?
Oh yes!
FLYGVA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.