Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Holiday Inn Overrated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
IMO, the free breakfast at HI makes it better than HIX.
flip those around. HIX has the free breakfast

MB
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by craigthemif
At this point I'm amusing myself watching people trying to defend the Holiday Inn brand by citing a handful of hotels in Asia. Every hotel chain is better in Asia, as are elite status benefits.

But there are so many nasty 50+ year old Holiday Inns across Europe and North America that the brand does have serious issues. Even the most loyal IHG guest would consider trading down to a HIX (knowing what you'll get) or trade up to a CP (probably better) rather than booking a standard HI without confirmation (FT, Tripadvisor, etc.) that it is one of the decent ones.
CP is the most inconsistent with the highest percentage of crappy properties in the US in my experience. Well actually, I take that back Candlewood has the highest percentage of bad properties even more than CP. HI is also very variable in quality but a smaller percentage of crappy properties. HIX is the most consistent though I do run into old tired HIX properties from time to time. Bottom line for me, US only for my stays in recent years, HIX is my go to brand next would be Hotel Indigo followed by HI or CP if I have vetted their pedigree beforehand. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:12 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

I'm sure Crowne Plaza isn't that bad.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I'm sure Crowne Plaza isn't that bad.

That's a touching sentiment. But while a handful of CPs are delightful, many are simply run of the mill and quite a number are run down verging on shabby.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This question is a proverbial "how long is a piece of string?" question. First of all, I don't think anyone really rates Holiday Inn that highly. That said, IHG has a massive footprint. I travel to a lot of rural parts of North Carolina and I can usually count on a HIX there. Secondly, IHG properties are often cheaper than the other major brands and they're a big enough step up from Choice and Best Western that they're worth a stay. Lastly, IHG still has a good rewards program with a lot of promos so you can arbitrage earnings at HIs and HIXs and redeem at ICs.

Therefore, I think HI is rated fairly.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
The Holiday Inn's with the nice mini or std waterparks are usually the only ones we do.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I don't think any of the IHG properties, outside of some ICs, have that much charm or real identity.
​​​​​I've stayed in some newer HIX hotels that are really nice, but for the most part, they're functional, with some having extra features like a fridge.

Crowne Plazas aren't too bad.
Generally only stay in these at airports so there's no real incentive there to make them too flashy.

I personally prefer a Hampton Inn if there's a choice as at least they're far more consistent and tend to suit my needs a lot better.

IHG is more interesting if the price is right or if there's some promo like Accelerate that earns me cheap points = free nights.

Stayed in a Holiday Inn a day or so ago at an airport. Did the job, comfy enough and cheap to boot.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
First of all, I don't think anyone really rates Holiday Inn that highly.
Yeah I wasn't aware that was a thing to begin with.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I haven't read this whole thread, but just adding my $0.02. I think the HI brand is actually underrated. I've stayed at 3 different HI properties this week, and they've all been recently updated and are solid business hotel options. Although I miss the HIX free breakfast, it's nice having a restaurant and bar onsite and being able to choose a free beer and snack as my welcome amenity.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I don't stay at Holiday inn much but have to say the couple I have were great better than a few IC's room wise, Holiday Inn pattaya has very nice rooms not all the bells and whistles of a 5 star but there Ocean view Suites have a better view than most of the suites at the Hilton just down the road for half the price.

I think like a lot of hotel chains Holiday inn has good and bad properties it depends how new it is / last referb and the staff can play a big part also not all IC's are worthy of the brand and I find that across Hilton and many other brands also.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
For US properties, I typically chose HIX over HI. Properties tend to be newer and more consistent across the brand, and you get a comfortable, functional room. HIs and CPs are often older buildings either overdue for renovations, or recently renovated in a 'lipstick on a pig' fashion. It is nice when you find a newer or nicer HI, like where I stayed in Owensboro, KY last month.

That being said, IME, Hilton brands have done a better job are bringing their older buildings up to date.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
So, you started this "relatively rediculous" thread out of some morbid curiosity?
I was asking a question.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
This question is a proverbial "how long is a piece of string?" question. First of all, I don't think anyone really rates Holiday Inn that highly. That said, IHG has a massive footprint. I travel to a lot of rural parts of North Carolina and I can usually count on a HIX there. Secondly, IHG properties are often cheaper than the other major brands and they're a big enough step up from Choice and Best Western that they're worth a stay. Lastly, IHG still has a good rewards program with a lot of promos so you can arbitrage earnings at HIs and HIXs and redeem at ICs.

Therefore, I think HI is rated fairly.
I live in NC too, I was thinking we could work something out.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I was asking a question.
A 7 month delayed reaction response? Best you just try them to see if you like them, as that's all that really matters.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA
A 7 month delayed reaction response? Best you just try them to see if you like them, as that's all that really matters.
HI's are inconsistent, so it depends a lot on which one(s) someone "tries" as to what opinion they'll form of the brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.