10% Point rebate as Plat question

Old Jul 26, 17, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

10% Point rebate as Plat question

IHG Plat Chase credit card holders get a 10% discount on point redemptions.
Is the 10% discount applied at booking, or are the points returned to your account after the stay?

i.e. A London Hotel @ 40k points, would be 36k after the discount.
I would have enough points to redeem for an extra night if the discount is applied at booking.

Thanks for any info !
rdy

Last edited by RDY3238; Jul 26, 17 at 4:06 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:05 pm

It is a point rebate, a few weeks after your stay.
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 17, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
One of the nights do 35k+ cash co pay.
Old Jul 28, 17, 1:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 View Post
One of the nights do 35k+ cash co pay.
Yup, Points & Cash booking will work for the OP in that situation. And yes, 10% rebate takes several weeks, for me seems to be the statement closing after the stay.
Old Jul 28, 17, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
My checkout was 7/17 from a Staybridge Suites. 5 night stay. Received the 10% points back in my account today, 7/28.
Old Jul 29, 17, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalItalian View Post
My checkout was 7/17 from a Staybridge Suites. 5 night stay. Received the 10% points back in my account today, 7/28.
Good advice all round. Thank you.
I was actually going to try the new Staybridge Suites Vauxhall - how was your experience - any Plat recognition etc?

Thx
Old Jul 29, 17, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RDY3238 View Post
Good advice all round. Thank you.
I was actually going to try the new Staybridge Suites Vauxhall - how was your experience - any Plat recognition etc?

Thx
We stayed at that Staybridge in May 2016 and loved it.

Can't recall what upgrade if there is any, is given. I believe they offer a choice of drinks or points for Spire and Plat as amenity. Yes, they recognize the status.

All rooms are equipped with a full kitchen situated along the wall at the foyer area right after you enter the room. Very nice furnishing and comfortable king bed.

The best part of the location is their very healthy / fresh / plentiful breakfast. The cut fruits are freshly made in small batch consisting many variety of fruits. Many different kinds of yogurts, juices, and choices of milk. Nice selection of cereals and breads. Hot dishes have the usual egg/bacon/sausage that the variety changed each morning (we stayed for 2 nights).

We think this is the best IHG property in London, for our needs anyway.

Location is super convenient as it is a short walk thru the small community park you are at the Vauxhall station. There is a small Sainsbury right by the station. Very easy walk to the embankment. Convenient bus stops nearby along the embankment.

You would like it.
Old Jul 29, 17, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
We stayed at that Staybridge in May 2016 and loved it.

We think this is the best IHG property in London, for our needs anyway.
Location is super convenient as it is a short walk thru the small community park you are at the Vauxhall station. There is a small Sainsbury right by the station. Very easy walk to the embankment. Convenient bus stops nearby along the embankment.

You would like it.
Thx for reply. As an ex pat Londoner I've stayed in all the Hilton/Carlson/SPG properties over the years. Now I'm into IHG after the massive shortcomings /devaluation of the prior programs. I like S. of the river. So this trip I have Staybridge (IHG) and the new Carlson Pk Plaza Waterloo in my sights. The London HI properties leave a lot to be desired. I know where they all are located and many are somewhat tired and overpriced.
I'm too noise averse now for the Camden and Covent Garden crowds. (Mispent youth alert)
Thx
rdy

Last edited by RDY3238; Jul 29, 17 at 1:27 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 30, 17, 5:07 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
FYI..If you join IHG Ambassador program, then renew the following year. For a few extra dollars, you get the option for another 10% rebate program.

If you combine Ambassador 10% , Chase 10% with points and dollars, you can get some great steals out there.
Old Aug 25, 17, 8:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by aljacket View Post
FYI..If you join IHG Ambassador program, then renew the following year. For a few extra dollars, you get the option for another 10% rebate program.

If you combine Ambassador 10% , Chase 10% with points and dollars, you can get some great steals out there.
Yes, that option is $200 vs $150 for standard cash renewal (SEE BELOW). Definitely worth it if you plan to burn a few hundred-thousand miles in the upcoming year.

Based on the standard valuation of $.005 or half-cent IHG point value you would break even redeeming 100K points for a rebate of 10K with that extra AMB option.

I'm renewing with the Points option this year (also eligible for the 10% rebate) as I plan to spend 2018 building back my points stash.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 25, 17, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Please clarify, are the CC 10% rebate, and the AMB 10% rebate, stackable at all properties, not just IC brand? I ask is it looks as though I'm going to have to buy Ambassador to retain Spire status for 2018.
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:58 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Please clarify, are the CC 10% rebate, and the AMB 10% rebate, stackable at all properties, not just IC brand? I ask is it looks as though I'm going to have to buy Ambassador to retain Spire status for 2018.
Good question.... I never used this option myself yet, so I looked into the terms and found the following:

"** You will receive 10% of redeemed points back on Reward Night redemptions for 12 months. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after each Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account. The maximum number of points to be rebated shall not exceed 100,000 points in a calendar year. Not applicable on non-Reward Night redemption items."

So based on that, it seems to be stackable with CC 10% at ALL IHG properties, not just IC's. I'm sure others here can confirm.
Old Aug 29, 17, 12:15 pm

Anyone know if there's any way to get the 10% rebate for the first year of ambassador? I've never been Ambassador before and will be staying a week at the IC's in Bora Bora on points next August. So it would be worth it for the extra cause I'm redeeming approximately 500,000 points.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:45 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Sadly no, the 10% rebate option is effectively a reward for loyalty it appears.

I've been doing it for 5 years now and it's yielded me far more points than the cost of the Ambassador Membership, not to mention had me some fantastic upgrades and savings via the Weekend Certificate

Search this Thread
Search Engine: