Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One level upgrade to Club room (Ambassador)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
One level upgrade to Club room (Ambassador)

I would like to stay at club floor on IC Kuala Lumpur. Therefore I'm planning to book one level below the club room which is Grand Premium room; which is per T&C for Amb member. I emailed in advance to hotel to inform my preference. However, I was surprised to read the response from the hotel below :

Dear Mr virtualaris

Thank you for your email and your support as a valued Platinum Ambassador.

I was most concerned that you have read some negative comments regarding upgrades and I can assure you we comply with all program rules for our Ambassador members. I do wish to clarify why you may have read some of these concerns and how it relates to upgrades.

As you have highlighted below, your entitlement is to upgrade to the next room category. This however doesn't mean an upgrade to the Club Experience. The Club room and Club Experience are considered separate in terms of upgrading and this is highlighted in the Ambassador terms and conditions. I believe you will find all InterContinental Hotels are following these terms and conditions in terms of upgrading. The Club Experience is a paid program and complimentary access is only for Royal Ambassador members.

In light of this, I would like to offer you a special one off rate of RM150++ which is a significant reduction if you do wish to access the Club Experience. This special rate can be used against any room type. If you wish to take up this offer, please respond to me directly so I can ensure you receive the discounted offer.
Am I interpreting this right? So if I booked Grand Premium room then I would be upgraded to Club room (but no Club access ) ?

Another confusing statement is the last paragraph. "This special rate can be used against any room type". Therefore, if I booked the most standard one (Deluxe), then pay RM150++ so I could get club benefit while staying at Deluxe (upgraded to Premier) ?

Been to other ICs, but never had this experience where club access was denied when booked one level below the club room.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:04 pm

Would love to know which ICs you stayed at that gave you club access as an upgrade!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farmerandy
Would love to know which ICs you stayed at that gave you club access as an upgrade!
Booked business room (one level below Club room) on IC Singapore then upgraded to Club room during my stay.^
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Sometimes you're best not to ask the question.

I've heard about this before but the only time I've been subjected to it was when I stayed in the awful IC Malta.

Every other IC I've done this in has given me full Club Lounge access for free
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:58 pm

Ever since the GM changed at this hotel sometime ago, they have become more stingy with benefits. You might as well refer this to the Ambassador desk for final clarification.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by puchong
Ever since the GM changed at this hotel sometime ago, they have become more stingy with benefits. You might as well refer this to the Ambassador desk for final clarification.
The email is completely in line with the terms and conditions ( https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...care/member-tc ) which does state

Originally Posted by T&C
9.The Club InterContinental Experience including Club Lounge access will not be given to Ambassadors as this is not a benefit that is included in Ambassador membership.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The email is completely in line with the terms and conditions ( https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...care/member-tc ) which does state
With due deference to your nearly 35K post count vs. my measly score, I have to differ. The rule you cite is for an Ambassador member who may be tempted to claim lounge access as an Ambassador benefit, which is obviously not offered. However, in this case the question is whether an Ambassador can book one level below a Club room and then claim is upgrade priviledge to secure a Club room.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:09 pm

With due deference to your nearly 35K post count vs. my measly score, I have to differ. The rule you cite is for an Ambassador member who may be tempted to claim lounge access as an Ambassador benefit, which is obviously not offered. However, in this case the question is whether an Ambassador can book one level below a Club room and then claim is upgrade priviledge to secure a Club room.
The condition clarifies that the only upgrade for an Ambassador member is for a room category upgrade; booking 1 level below a club room will not provide an upgrade that grants club access

If wanting club access , need to book a room that includes it already
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bloobell
Sometimes you're best not to ask the question.
Yeah, you would be denied the club access then depressed later.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yup, but it contradicts each others.

That's exactly my point. "While I do understand that Club Lounge access will not be given to Ambassadors as this is not a benefit that is included in Ambassador membership rule". However, it should not contradict with the "A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned upon check-in" rule.

However, I believe the 150 RM ++ is a great bargain if I could book the cheapest category room rather than book one level below the Club room. But, it's such a disappointment for the other AMB members who have similar understanding (booking one level below the Club room to get Club but then rejected upon arrival at the hotel).

There are should be more clearer explanation by AMB program so the properties should have same understanding regarding to the T&C.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by virtualaris
That's exactly my point. "While I do understand that Club Lounge access will not be given to Ambassadors as this is not a benefit that is included in Ambassador membership rule". However, it should not contradict with the "A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned upon check-in" rule..
It is not contradictory : you will get a room that is 1 category higher but you will not get any Club Intercontinental benefits that would go with that room if purchased with the Club benefits

That clause clarifies that one cannot just book a regular room, one category lower than club and get room upgrade plus club benefits
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
the confusion over the years re this whole upgrade business for ambassadors has meant that if I want club, I book club and then am delighted to get a nicer room like a suite. Once I used to try the book one category below, but I think they have now outlined the club "experience" to be different rather than the club room.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It seems this is a relatively recent change/clarification in terms for Ambassador. It used to be that you would book one level below "club" - then get upgraded to a club level room and access to the club at the same time. That always worked for me at the IC Singapore. However, there was a recent discussion that it's no longer the case - book one below, get upgraded to a club room and no club access.

It's also not uncommon for IC's to sell club access for a separate rate.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:21 pm

It used to be ambiguous since there was nothing stated in the terms on whether club access should be included or not

Now the terms have been updated to explicitly state that there is no club access
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
It seems this is a relatively recent change/clarification in terms for Ambassador. It used to be that you would book one level below "club" - then get upgraded to a club level room and access to the club at the same time. That always worked for me at the IC Singapore. However, there was a recent discussion that it's no longer the case - book one below, get upgraded to a club room and no club access.

Originally Posted by OskiBear

It has always been intent of t+c's that Ambassadors had to book club access rooms to receive lounge benefits, both pre/post Sep2016 rewrite. But yes a clarifisation
o Before - ambassadors are not entitled as Club access is not an Ambassador benefit
o after - Ambassadors will not be given Club Experience

o Yes upto 31st Aug 2016 Ambassador t+c text was something like
"Club Access is not and Ambassador benefit"
(This did not prevent some Ambs argueing that t+c did not say an IC could not give them Club access, despite that being t+c's intent)

o From 1st sep 2016 ambassador t+c text changed/clarified
"Ambassadors will not be given Club Experience"
(Totally clear, now onwards, cuts off all arguments of that groupl of Ambs who previously attemped to play system regards Club access at ICs)

Both t+c versions state Ambassadors have no entitlement to Club Lounge Access, but I have witnessed multiple times stroppy Ambs trying it on bulling/haranging checkin staff when said Ams boon 1cat below club room. The Sep2016 rewrite was done to put an end to the small set of ambs who incorrtly pressured Staff+ICs

It is no different to Club-Lounge-Access that goes with a full suite, you only get that lounge access and other room benefits if purchased, and not if upgraded to the suite.
eg I don't get the associated butler service if as RA I'm upgraded to Presidential suite

Before rewite in Sep2016, it was same for us RAs, typicallly I got upgraded to Junior Suite without associated Club Access, and needed to upsell myself even as RA (not a cpmplaint by the way) at checkin.
Especially true experience outside Asia, due to higher costs of labour outside some Asia countries.

It is obvious when you think about it, usually smal rate delta difference for rooms cats upto 1cat below a clubroom as low as $30 per cat then clubroom is eg $100 higher. ICs can't afford to give those $100's away just because a guest buys Ambassador status for a measley $200

So if amb books 1cat bellow Club-room, Ambs can be upgraded to a club room, but the associated Lounge access will not be given. Sometimes club rooms are nicer. other times club rooms are just normal rooms with Lounge access. Ambassador should book club-room, result is upgrde to a suite and keeping purchased club access

Last edited by scubaccr; Jun 21, 2017 at 4:41 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:32 pm

Context; Surfing the net and reading the Terms & Conditions.
- https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/customer-care/forms
- clicked <Member Terms and Conditions>
- https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glo...care/member-tc
- Under <InterContinental Ambassador>
- https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glo...-tc#ambassador

InterContinental Ambassador Benefits: A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned upon check-in to InterContinental Ambassadors. InterContinental Ambassadors will be entitled to a late checkout time of 4:00 pm. Ambassadors receive fresh fruit and water in their room on arrival, with mineral water replenished daily. Ambassadors receive a personalised welcome letter and in-room gift. Ambassadors are entitled to one free Pay-TV film per stay (where a cost is applicable). When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, free Pay TV film per stay, 24 hour guaranteed room availability, 8:00am early check-in and complimentary mini-bar beverages (where a cost for these benefits is applicable). Ambassadors are charged Single Rate for Double Room Occupancy. Any Club Lounge access given to Ambassadors is solely at the discretion of the hotel and is not a benefit that is included in Ambassador status. Royal Ambassador Status: Royal Ambassador status is the highest level of status and entitles Ambassador members to additional benefits at InterContinental Hotels and Resorts. Royal Ambassador status is granted to Ambassador members by invitation and at IHG® Rewards Club sole discretion. IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to limit the number of members with Royal Ambassador status. Royal Ambassador members receive Guaranteed room availability for one room occupied by the Royal Ambassador member with 24-hour advance reservation. Reservations must be made before 12:00 midday (local hotel time) 24 hours prior to intended arrival for room availability to be guaranteed. Only in exceptional circumstances where the hotel has been completely reserved by the Government and with explicit IHG® Rewards Club approval, may a reservation be declined. Use of all in-hotel health club facilities (where available) shall be complimentary for Royal Ambassadors. Treatments such as massage, facials, manicure may incur charges. Beverages are complimentary from the mini-bar in the Royal Ambassador’s personal room only, and for in-room consumption by member only (benefit excludes non-beverage items). Void where prohibited by law. Early check-in (8:00 am) shall be available to all Royal Ambassador members. An upgrade to an Executive room, Club InterContinental room, or a Suite for Royal Ambassador members at check-in is guaranteed. Where a Club InterContinental room is given, Club lounge access must also be given. Club lounge access otherwise is only to be given at the discretion of the hotel and is not a benefit. In circumstances where an executive room, Club InterContinental room or a suite is not available at 8:00 am, the Royal Ambassador will be checked into an available room until the executive room, Club InterContinental room or the Suite is available later on the day of arrival. The type of room upgrade allocated is at the discretion of the hotel, excluding the following rooms:
Is this a dated link which IHG forgot to remove (or the latest)?
It states upgrade to Club Rooms will be granted Club access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.