HI Cannes

Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
HI Cannes

Have had a look and can't see any reviews or feedback on this property.

I have just booked a 5 night stay there in August
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:54 am

Not been there myself but did have a look for reviews a couple of days ago.

I've never seen an IHG General Manager reply to negative reviews quite so vigorously (Basically calling a load of people wrong).

Customer: We arrived early, couldn't check in, no problem, yet they said we requested breakfast for 9 of us and then, as a way of compensation, reduced the price of the breakfast to....the price of the breakfast! It was midday and we were inquring when lunch was available and whether we could store our bags in the property until we could check-in. We thought they were just putting some crossiants out as way of being nice to our large group and not being able to check in.

IHG manager: You ordered breakfast. I then refused to give you free breakfast (((even though I did not actually witness you order breakfast))). You harassed and bullied my staff.

----

Customer: Property Not 4*, outdated etc etc

IHG Manager: You got amazing value. Nevertheless we understand that tastes and colors are not always the same and our design choice’s may not please everyone.

----

Customer: The breakfast is so over-priced for what it is. It has increased in price since last time I was here, and I did not think it was value for money last time.

IHG Manager: I have taken good note of all your remarks and and can't agree with your feeling about the price of our breakfast which is a full english breakfast buffet. I'm not sure it can be compared to the price of a continental one. All our prices are studied and compared according to international Hotels rules. Perhaps you will take the time to taste it during your next visit."

----

And then there is a review about the manager!
Customer: "We are not sure where to start to be honest, all I can say is that Tierry Garnier the general manager/owner is a rude manager, with 25 years of experience? He should know how to talk to guest of the hotel, we will never return to this hotel ever again.

--

Just a final one, which is a straight copy and paste because it deserves it.

Customer: "We stayed here with my boyfriend from 06.07.16 to 10.07.16 . I am a staff of one of the Holiday Inn's in UK Guildford , work at the reception and know what the standards are, I have never experienced such a horrible stay in the hotel in my life before . Everything was really bad besides the F&B staff . F&B staff was efficient and very friendly. The whole reception team and the reservation manager all have a very bad attitude, were very rude, and have absolutely know knowledge about what hospitality is and how to treat the guests ! We had several problems and the staff just was not bothered to resolve therm, were talking in their own language and laughing !IIs that professional ? If he was treating someone like that in my hotel, he would lose his job straight away. Also, we c called the reception at 12 a.m. and asked for the room service , the receptionist said we have no food available. Whereas i know that the hotel must provide room service 24/7 . He was just lazy to do so.Thierry Garnier represented himself as the owner and the manager of the hotel . As we had a problem that needed to be solved immediately and the reception could not solve it as they don't speak English properly and do not understand anything , we had to call the manager. I have never seen the manager shouts and threatening like that to guest. He was using the un appropriate language , simply 'shutting our mouth" and had a very unprofessional and really bad attitude. We were really upset with the experience . We stayed in the executive room. The room was really small , was not cleaned properly. But the main think that the staff had spoiled our stay Significantly! Will Never stay again!"

Thierry G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cannes, responded:

I have read with my best attention your comments and will not loose my time trying to justify what we have not to justify.
I manage Hotels for more than 25 years now and I have never seen someone so unpleasant with colleagues.
Don't worry my team is really well knowing all the standards of our Chain and that's why they have refused to give you 50% discount on the F&B department which can explain the content of your review.
You have written that you'll never come again and that's OK for us.
Regards.
Thierry Garnier.
GM

In short, it seems a reasonable place as long as you don't feel the need to complain for whatever reason. The management are always right.

Last edited by Lionheart; Jun 16, 2017 at 6:06 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Wow, that doesn't read well at all.

Hopefully I won't need to complain but if I do and I get a reaction like that there will be a ruck as I would never allow myself to be treated like that.

I paid extra for the breakfast and have to say at an additional Ł12 for 2 of us it seems very reasonable for that part of the world
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
I'm really surprised to hear about all the negative reviews of this lovely hotel. I've stayed there 3 times in the past year and I think it's wonderful. It's a small hotel but with a nice pool, views of the sea and a decent restaurant/bar. All the staff have gone out of their way to help me, I've not encountered even one rude employee, and I always feel welcomed. I just can't believe this is the same hotel. So, I recommend it. It's a nice walk to the center of town and easy to catch a city bus to return. I usually book a rate that includes breakfast and it's a nice continental spread. The staff always asks if I want something specially made but I am happy with their choices. I think it's a perfect little gem and will be back in September again.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: IHG
I just had a look on Tripadvisor and I have to say that I have never seen an IHG hotel with such a low score and with a GM with such an attitude, it really doesn't read well at all.

Sure, it's fine to have a different point of view, but the way he comes across is very unprofessional and arrogant, it wouldn't exactly encourage me to bring up a problem I had with my stay there.

Bet you they don't have "Is your stay a 10/10" card there!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by donnak
I'm really surprised to hear about all the negative reviews of this lovely hotel. I've stayed there 3 times in the past year and I think it's wonderful. It's a small hotel but with a nice pool, views of the sea and a decent restaurant/bar. All the staff have gone out of their way to help me, I've not encountered even one rude employee, and I always feel welcomed. I just can't believe this is the same hotel. So, I recommend it. It's a nice walk to the center of town and easy to catch a city bus to return. I usually book a rate that includes breakfast and it's a nice continental spread. The staff always asks if I want something specially made but I am happy with their choices. I think it's a perfect little gem and will be back in September again.
Language/Guest preferences of HI Cannes staff is it seems French Speaking guests, some reports even refer to staff distain of guests if non French Speaking guests.

Kind of a suprise, as many hotels employ cheap European labour, but if management has attitude to their guests, or bias is anti non-French speakers, attitude to guests filters down and comes out from guest facing staff.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donnak
Thanks for that feedback.

I'm all booked and looking forward to it
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Anyone stay here in the past few years?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Anyone stay here in the past few years?
Stayed in summer 2019.

It was just a one-nighter using points to meet friends, so I didn't mind that it was a lousy hotel that hadn't been updated since the 80s...
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:42 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Stayed in summer 2019.

It was just a one-nighter using points to meet friends, so I didn't mind that it was a lousy hotel that hadn't been updated since the 80s...
Sounds like a similar ownership situation to the IC Carlton in Cannes. During my last stay there, I offered to help with the demolition.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Sounds like a similar ownership situation to the IC Carlton in Cannes. During my last stay there, I offered to help with the demolition.
The IC actually is closed for renovations until 2023
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:20 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The IC actually is closed for renovations until 2023
It's about time. I've been going there for over 25 years and watched the deterioration as it occured. Decided to change any Cannes future stays to the Hyatt properties or SLH.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question I think it's closed....

.....so was looking for rates at the HI Cannes, and the rooms are unavailable for several months. Same thing that happened when I looked into the IC Dusseldorf before realizing it was leaving IHG and becoming some other brand. Anybody have any news on the Holiday Inn Cannes? I know the ratings were poor, but I really liked its location when I stayed there in 2017 (and I had no issues with staff/management).
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I had a week there in October, as I made comments about the state of the suite they told me a refurbishment was coming .
As there were staff and customers walking around massless and no vaccination checks made in restaurant I’ll not return
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ninjalad
I had a week there in October, as I made comments about the state of the suite they told me a refurbishment was coming.
I stayed at this hotel while it was difficult to fly abroad, and I must say that, even if the hotel interior was a bit dated, I enjoyed my stay (smiling staff, lovely pool, by the sea, leafy environment).

Review of my stay

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.