Most Points Deposited For A Screw-up/Complaint?

Old May 28, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Most Points Deposited For A Screw-up/Complaint?

What is the most points anyone has ever received as a courtesy due to an IHG hotel (or even corporate reservations) screwing something up?

Just curious as I had a problem recently at a hotel and one of the front desk supervisors deposited 25,000 points into my account after they made an error.

I had expected maybe 5,000 but was blown away when she told me how much she was depositing.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I probably shouldn't post this, but not long ago I had two back-to-back screw-ups at the same hotel resulting in 50K for the stay (2 x 25).
Old May 29, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
I used to stay at various IC hotels quite often a few years back, much less so now, but I did have a few occasions when compensation was due because of more serious foul-ups. One I remember was 40,000 points to cover the rewards cost of another night at the same hotel because of major problems with the room. But the one that really stands out for me wasn't points; I was comped a 2 night weekend stay in a Luxury Suite with full RA benefits at one of the flagship IC properties, given to me by the manager after I entered into a lengthy correspondence with him about some practices that were going on with his staff that I thought needed to be brought to his attention. In honesty, it felt like more of a thank you from him rather than compensation, as I genuinely wasn't after any compensation at the time and I think he realised that.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I got 15k when an IC asked me at check-out how I would rate it and I only said 7! (Which was generous, actually)

Probably linked to the corporate code in my booking which may well have been their last remaining deal more than anything else.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Quite a few times when there have been really major issues. Highest one 200k points (not a typo) for 4 night stay at an IC where my fiance injured herself painfully due to poor workmanship in a refurbished room. Others like 50k points for 2 nights at another IC for a range of issues with room and f&b.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG
Are we talking about compensation from the hotel or compensation from IHG?

I've never got any from a hotel, other than extra little gift points here and there in addition to welcome amenity just for being me or a regular stayer.

I have however got some from IHG themselves about issues and a friend of mine had a recent complaint about a hotel and lets just say they were very happy with their good five figure compensation for the hotel breaching IHG brand standards/rules.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Only twice received any major points from IHG hotels

1. IC Paris-LG (Birthday Stay, 3 paid nights) Received 20k without asking
.... Four small-medium issues, though I then had to move room after 6hour wait on attempts to fix issues in first room.
.... Without asking for compo, on checkout, I was given 2x 10,000 point vouchers.

2. CP Amsterdam City Center (not strictly speaking compo though but got 50K)
background....
... booked room in Jan2016 for last week Nov2016 stay at eur190++, and then CP decided to become Kimpton and close for refurb but keep booking open
... CP then emailed me 6days out around 20th Nov, offering me nearby Renaissance (I had zero MR status, so no upgrade, no lounge access) or CP Zuid which was inconvenient.
... CP even arranged that Renaissance would upgrade me +1cat too like Spire at their CP

... I responded saying I'd rather stay at IC Amstel but
a)IC is eur420++ so I not expect CP to pay that as my booked room was only 190++ and Renaissance was 210++
b)IC Amstel is 50k/night versus CP Centers 45k/night
c)Alas IC Amstel has sold all four of award nights already, so I could not use 50k points but would need paid stay that night
d)I said I would thus pay eur420 for my IC Amstel room and maybe CP could simply give 50k so I could get free IC Amstel night on a later Amsterdam stay
AND UNEXPECTED RESULT !
e)CP Ams Center liased with first IC Amstel, and then IHG Corporate, IC Amstel made an extra award room available for me, CP/IHG liased+booked debitted 50k for IC Amstel award night AND then CP creditted me 2x 25,000 points in return
^

Last edited by scubaccr; May 31, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old May 31, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Most I've ever been given was the equivalent of one night stay at that hotel; 30,000 points.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:11 am

IC Cannes - several times 60k.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:32 pm

We were given the 60k we used for 3 nights last summer in Colorado at a HIE back after I made a comment about something said to me at checkin that I took badly. The manager was so embarrassed she chased us down in the parking lot to tell me she refunded the points. I tried to talk her out of it, it was way over the top. It was all a misunderstanding.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat Ambassador
i had my award stay of 2 nights comped (50k / night) at the IC Moscow Tverskaya once ..

i checked in and got a low floor (2 / 3? ) , requested for a higher floor but was told none was available.. fine. went to my room, and somehow theres a bee flying around ... called front desk and they tried came to my room and tried to chase it out, but they couldnt catch it. quite funny.

manager came by, and moved me 5 floors up in the exact same room (310 -> 810? something like that)... not an executive floor. so i told the manager casually that the check in person claimed there wasnt any available rooms at higher floors...

didnt make much of it, but when i checked out i was told that my stay was comped. pleasant surprise
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
For his birthday I took my youngest son to the IC Dsseldorf where we discovered there was no pool access for under 18s. He was very disappointed - we received a refund of 50% of the room rate plus an upgrade to a fabulous suite. A few minutes after we had entered our room, there was a knock at the door. There was a trolley with a bottle of wine for me, a birthday cake, soft drinks, nuts and fruit for my son plus some kiddie toiletries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.