Extending Spire status by purchasing Ambassador?

Old Jan 7, 19, 9:38 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Posts: 4,464
Same here but I was able to claim the US Spire benefit of 3 e-books from Amazon from inside the app
FFlash likes this.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:14 am
  #227  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,654
Says I'm only entitled to one!
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:07 am
  #228  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 5,194
Today I got my first ever Amb pack in post. Ordered in November 2018. It came with a card that says Spire Amb expiry 01 Jan 2020, although the card in my IHG App says Spire Amb expiry 12/2019 and the account page still shows the mystery Spire Ambassador expires 31.12.2018 thing.
AMB Weekend cert was inside the pack so it seems at that point it was not yet introduced electronically.

I ask myself now, why did I buy this pack? I was ill, drunk, confused or what?
leland and remymartin like this.
FFlash is offline  
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:29 am
  #229  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
the card in my IHG App says Spire Amb expiry 12/2019 and the account page still shows the mystery Spire Ambassador expires 31.12.2018 thing.
I did not renew Spire or Amb so I should be IHG Gold now. Website and app still show me as Spire but I can only get one ebook.
:D! is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:23 am
  #230  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Antwerp
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 159
The trick still works, Spire AMb untill Feb 2020; and when taking the $200 USD option the points were immediately added to my account. But no e-mail to confirm renewal, no e-certificate so far... maybe I'm still getting the old paper version because iI renewed prior to Feb. 1st. I did notice on the website that the $150 renewal option would only be available untill January 31st, don't know if that was only for my account or in general.

Up untill last year I prefered the 24k renewal option because it was the cheapest. Now that it's gone up to 40k, and the $150 option doesn't gives bonus points anymore but the $200 option does, I consider that as the best "deal", but of course that will depend on how hotels will take advantage of the new $50 or 10k points guarantee loophole.
Stealthmode is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 6:25 pm
  #231  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,654
In a few weeks, you should expect to receive a package containing a welcome letter, benefits insert, physical Ambassador membership card with new expiration date, and a paper BOGO cert to be surrendered at check-in.
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:22 am
  #232  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 222
I, too, just 're-enlisted' yesterday. I mostly do it to retain Spire. Maybe 1 out of 5 stays Spire actually gets me something like lounge access at an Asian Crowne Plaza or an 'upgrade' to a 'suite' at a HIX.

The 40k points option was much more than prior years, so I passed on that. The $50 more for the $200 option actually seemed like it would result in a pretty good chunk of extra points: 1) the immediate 15K (that were immediately put in my account, 2) the 10% rebate on points stays which should be 20K for me this year, and 3) the extra 50% points on base paid stays which should be another 20K for me this year. All that should be 3 nights in cheap IHG hotels while road-tripping thru the central USA.

In the 4 or 5 years that I have gotten the 'free night' certificate, I have never used it. I infrequently stay at IC's and by the time you pay the rack rate for the first night, there are usually better options at Hilton's with Diamond lounge access.

If there are any further price increases, I will probably pass.
pretzlaff is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:04 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,072
Originally Posted by pretzlaff View Post
I, too, just 're-enlisted' yesterday. I mostly do it to retain Spire. Maybe 1 out of 5 stays Spire actually gets me something like lounge access at an Asian Crowne Plaza or an 'upgrade' to a 'suite' at a HIX.

The 40k points option was much more than prior years, so I passed on that. The $50 more for the $200 option actually seemed like it would result in a pretty good chunk of extra points: 1) the immediate 15K (that were immediately put in my account, 2) the 10% rebate on points stays which should be 20K for me this year, and 3) the extra 50% points on base paid stays which should be another 20K for me this year. All that should be 3 nights in cheap IHG hotels while road-tripping thru the central USA.

In the 4 or 5 years that I have gotten the 'free night' certificate, I have never used it. I infrequently stay at IC's and by the time you pay the rack rate for the first night, there are usually better options at Hilton's with Diamond lounge access.

If there are any further price increases, I will probably pass.
Agree with everything above. My expiration is actually end of April but I went ahead and renewed tonight. Not sure what the $150 renewal option good only until Jan 31 means, possible rate increase? Went for the $200 renewal like others. I only renewed Ambassador for the Spire extension--app now shows 12/31/2020. I've received really nice room upgrades at Kimpton (I think) due to Spire. Also like the extra points earning on stays, as well as the 10% rebate on award stays (in addition to credit card 10% rebate). Strictly a leisure traveler so earning points is a slow process.

Spent many an hour trying to figure out where to use the BOGO weekend cert without spending too much to gain a "free" night. How much sense does it make to pay +$80 over a AAA rate at Venetian to save $200 on my "free" night. Crazy to fly somewhere just to use it. IC's within driving distance are uninspiring and usually at escalated prices. I prefer Kimptons anyway. Wish I was as disciplined as you, pretzlaff, to just toss it in the trash.
Steph58 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 19, 6:19 pm
  #234  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,654
I didn't use my certificate last year, and it's likely I won't this year either.
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 4:45 pm
  #235  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 42
Is Spire extension still possible by renewing Ambassador? The last post was the case in January. There is no guarantee for this trick. So I wonder it still works.
tvisitor is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 7:59 pm
  #236  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by tvisitor View Post
Is Spire extension still possible by renewing Ambassador? The last post was the case in January. There is no guarantee for this trick. So I wonder it still works.
Renewed just now and card is showing the extension.
DaveH and dagangwood like this.
FlyingKansan is offline  
Old May 10, 19, 8:07 am
  #237  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,977
My Amb expired in Oct 2018 and I didn't renew it, yet I am still Spire. I only had 15 IHG nights last year, all very cheap or redemptions. I know at least one other person who also got Spire renewed unexpectedly.
MikeFromTokyo and dagangwood like this.
:D! is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 6:41 am
  #238  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: AMS
Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 285
I renewed yesterday and my Spire status was immediately extended till August 1 2020.
MikeFromTokyo and dagangwood like this.
Carel1 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:22 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TX, USA
Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Posts: 129
Any recent successful DP?
Thanks...
dagangwood is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:48 pm
  #240  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Posts: 4,464
Originally Posted by dagangwood View Post
Any recent successful DP?
Thanks...
Worked last week and I also got the 15K renewal points even though they weren't a listed renewal benefit.
beachmouse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: