Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ihg 5,000 bonus package

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Ihg 5,000 bonus package

I will be working in an area until December 23. I have a plan to book a room everyday on the 5,000 point package checking out daily rotating between hotel properties.
I see this as playing by the rules, but will ihg be ok with it?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
What 5,000 point package? Are you talking about hotels that fall into the Point Breakers category? If so, rooms on the Point Breakers are treated the same as everything else, you could book 5 nights in a row, or whatever you need to do, as long as availability is there.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by treydawgmt
What 5,000 point package? Are you talking about hotels that fall into the Point Breakers category? If so, rooms on the Point Breakers are treated the same as everything else, you could book 5 nights in a row, or whatever you need to do, as long as availability is there.
Sorry, I should have said "5,000 bonus point package".
When you book a room there is an option to pay more and get "5,000 bonus points per stay".
you get 5,000 bonus points total whether your stay is 7 days or 1 day, so it makes sense to check out every day to a new hotel so that you can get the 5,000 every day.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
As long as you are actually switching hotels, and not just checking in and out of the same hotel, this is perfectly acceptable. FYI, those 5000 points also count as status points.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
FYI, those 5000 points also count as status points.
Exactly, I'm gonna make a mad dash for spire before the year is up.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:53 am

I've done it eight nights one after the other over three different properties in the past and never had any issues.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I have done it at the same property a couple of different times. I just explain the situation to the hotel when Checking-in.

For the 3-4 I did in the US / EU I had no issues.

The 1 I did in Colombia, it appeared they didn't fully understand and they just merged all my reservations as one and I didn't get ANY bonus points. So I contacted IHG support and explained the situation, they gave me the 5000 bonus points each night and made no mention of me not being permitted to stay at a hotel for 5 nights but under 5 x 1 night reservations.

My opinion, I would just do it at the same hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The bigger issue might be with whoever is paying for your rooms. a) justifying the daily hotel change and b) the extra cost of the bonus points package.

But IHG shouldn't particularly care as long as you are changing hotels each time. You are doing nothing more than paying money for points at an often inflated rate. IHG know enough about the game to be marketing these in their emails as elite qualifying points.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:40 am

It's great when you find one that isn't over inflated.

There are a few out there where the 5k rate is the same as the best flex and cheaper than the 1k rate.

I've also had them cheaper than the your rate with points before.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:02 pm

There are some hotels where I travel that have the 5k bonus points for $10. I haven't found a cheaper way to get points than that. Purchasing those bonus points four times will get a night at most HIX for $40.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by MJohnB
There are some hotels where I travel that have the 5k bonus points for $10. I haven't found a cheaper way to get points than that. Purchasing those bonus points four times will get a night at most HIX for $40.
Intercontinental Toronto offers it for $10 often.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I used to have the 5k package link bookmarked, but now clicking on that link does not work anymore. I cannot find a new link for booking that 5k rate after IHG website changed.

Anyone help me find it? The "normal" booking on IHG does not always show up the 5K rate on some properties where it IS available, at least was with the old link
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
I used to have the 5k package link bookmarked, but now clicking on that link does not work anymore. I cannot find a new link for booking that 5k rate after IHG website changed.

Anyone help me find it? The "normal" booking on IHG does not always show up the 5K rate on some properties where it IS available, at least was with the old link
This one was still working yesterday for Europe it may work for other regions as well.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:54 am

Good information, all. I think I had once or twice where the 5000 came on back to back single night reservations, before I knew about the "per STAY" restriction. Then, one time, it didn't. So I've been careful ever since.

One night at the 5000 rate (+$12 over the regular rate), one night at normal (me, Senior), and then one at 15k points reward. Change hotel, come back and start over, if I'm still in the area.

Different promos might make me check out each night, to keep the reservations separated, as hotels have bad habit of combining these nights together, losing you the benefits, or forcing calls to Manila.

One SCAM in all this, is the IHG booking site saying, IIRC, that you are limited to "no more than 4 nights" at the 5000 bonus point package rate. WHY WHY WHY on Earth would you pay for even 4 nights at an inflated rate if they are only going to give you the bonus ONCE??? Bad hotelier practices.

The 1000 point bonus rate is usually per night, and that posts just fine from my stays in BKK. But this 5000 one is DECEPTIVE to the max.

Don't be fooled!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
FYI: I noticed that many of the LAX airport hotels have 10,000 to 11,000 bonus point packages for those of you looking for paying for extra points at a fair rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.