Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me not to cancel the IHG card, please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by paperwastage
You got a free upgrade?
Yes. Was advised of if on check-in due to IHG Platinum status.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
That said, even the worst CP I've stayed at was worth more than $49 to me. I routinely make the certificates worth several times the credit card's annual fee.
I don't think I've used my credit card renewal night at any property that was less than $200 a night. Try a weeknight stay in places like San Francisco or New York City and you'll easily pass the $300 mark. Even if I wasn't staying at IHG properties, I'd still keep the card just for that $49 hotel night somewhere pricey.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I use mine to stay at a hotel near the airport for an early departure..

Well worth the $49.00 fee, and they even take me to the airport and let me park my vehicle at the hotel..

Not above eating a McDees either,.

Hilton gave me Diamond, to match IHG..

And the list goes on..
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:48 pm
Suspended

IC Hong Kong
Palazzo

There are many other IHG properties which will cost you more than $49/night.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Intercontinental Ambassador, Delta
I would keep it for as long as they keep the fee at $49.00 I don't have the card yet, and I haven't done a purely free night, but I did use the weekend Ambassador certificate at the NYC Intercontinental and was really pleased. I'm with you on the Crown Plaza. Not impressed with them. IHG is really only worth it to me at the Intercontinental properties, otherwise I prefer Hyatt too.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:14 pm

The Crowne Plazas on the international side can be quite nice, though maybe a little dated.

Brussels:

Salzburg:

Berlin:

Brussels and Berlin had huge breakfast buffets if you can get a rate that includes that.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:29 am

For what it's worth, I stayed at the IC San Juan a month ago and had an incredibly disappointing experience. Worst Intercon experience I've ever had, by far, on many levels. So I definitely would not judge the entire brand based on that property.

Like others have said, it's important to look at reviews. It was pretty clear from TripAdvisor that this hotel was having issues. I came in with lowered expectations and it was still disappointing.

The IC Cancun is a real gem and I've heard the IC Cozumel is similar. IC Tel Aviv was also a great redemption. I'd keep it for another year, try out a property that has been recommended here, and make a decision.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. It's becoming apparent that the Indigo is not really what I thought it was (upscale boutique hotel).

The Wikipedia, and yes, I'm aware that it may not be accurate, on Indigo claims they compete with both W and Andaz, but I can't believe that's the case if someone compared one to a HIX.

I'm also glad to hear that the IC San Juan may be an outlier. My plan is to hang onto the card one more year and try one of the IC in NYC. I can't pass up a $49 night there, but be also don't want to get any hopes up, either.

The IHG brand as a whole just doesn't seem to be for me.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:35 am

I switched to IHG earlier this year because they have descent properties in the places I stay. So my needs are different from those who aspire to fancier properties in resort areas, etc.

It sounds to me like the IHG and the CC do not meet your needs. So cancel it. I have done the same when I canceled the card of another hotel chain that did not meet my needs.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Jun 5, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
I keep the IHG card because, as most, it's a good deal. I don't stay at hotels a ton like some of those on here, but I'm staying at least 12 and usually in the 30's nights a year. (Last year was like 46). IHG properties, and specifically HI, HIX, Staybridge, and Candlewood Suites are all generally a consistent brand. Clean, have availability, not too terribly priced (usually), etc. With the exception of one or two HI's (HI Cleveland Airport being the worst hotel I've ever stayed at actually) I know I'll always get basically the same thing. It's not the fanciest, but very workable.

Also, IHG has some of the best ability to earn and use points. This year I've got a total of 13 night booked, all with points. I'm not earning much on the bonus point things at all, but I'll do that next year, the year after I'll have free rooms, etc.

My 2 cents.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Indigo is not HIX! More like an artsy Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. It's becoming apparent that the Indigo is not really what I thought it was (upscale boutique hotel).
My experience with Indigo is that it's a gussied up Holiday Inn cynically hoping to fool a certain segment of the traveling public into thinking it's an independent boutique hotel.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:53 pm

Hyatt has some great properties; however, in my personal experience it is not uncommon to find that rooms are unavailable on points at those properties. This generally isn't an issue with IHG (points or free room certs).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
One of Hyatt's weaknesses- relatively small footprint outside of major cities- plays to IHG's strengths of being pretty much everywhere in the USA. If your travel patterns take you into the medium metros that tends to maybe have a Hyatt Place/House at best the certificate becomes more useful.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Got the IHG card earlier this year, both out of 5/24 fear and also because it really seemed like a solid deal - a night at any IHG property for $49 annual fee. Then I started actually staying at IHG properties, and the blush is kinda off the rose. I'm a Hyatt loyalist and really enjoy Regency, Grand, Andaz, etc. properties.
I am in the same boat. Love Hyatt and use IHG as backup. However, my travel budget was cut and I have to go to Asia a lot, so I have to use IHG as primary. A lot of really old crappy properties, hardly any perks at the system-level for Platinum and Aspire. With the exception of Holiday Inn Express, there are not many new builds. Service, amenity, and property quality is extremely inconsistent. The only worthy thing about IHG is the somewhat good quarterly promotion and the ocassional good find on the Point Break list.

That $49 dollar annual fee is better used towards an airline card that are much more valuable these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.