Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Car Rental (through IHG website)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Hertz Car Rental (through IHG website)

I rented a Hertz car by going through the IHG website. The website says they will give 1500 points just for renting and 500 points to Platinum members for every day of the rental period. I had the car for 8 days, so I am expecting 5500 points total. Has anyone had previous experience?
Old May 29, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
I rented a car for one day and got the 1500+500 points, relatively quickly.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by treydawgmt
I rented a car for one day and got the 1500+500 points, relatively quickly.

Thank you!

I have received the points as expected, I returned the car on May 27th and got the last of the points today, June 2.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Do the dates have to line up with the dates of the stay? For example, I have a one night stay at an airport property, and plan on renting the car from the airport, but I'd like to do it through IHG to get the 500 points/day as it'll be about a 15-day rental, roughly.

Also, are these points Elite qualifying? TIA.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FonzieBone
Do the dates have to line up with the dates of the stay? For example, I have a one night stay at an airport property, and plan on renting the car from the airport, but I'd like to do it through IHG to get the 500 points/day as it'll be about a 15-day rental, roughly.

Also, are these points Elite qualifying? TIA.
You can book any dates you want - even without an IHG stay - and get the points.

They are not elite qualifying.

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...-PAR-Hertz2016

Here is another thread on the Hertz/IHG partnership
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ualifying.html

Last edited by CalItalian; Jul 26, 2016 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Has somebody recently taken advantage of this promotion? Could you indicate whether you booked a pre-paid rate and received the points? It seems that the website wording has now changed to exclude such rates:

“This offer has no cash value, may not be used with Pre-Pay Rates, Tour Rates or Insurance Replacement Rates and cannot be combined with any other certificate, voucher, offer or promotion.”

But when clicking through to Hertz from the IHG website, the system only shows me prepaid rates, with no option to pay on pickup
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I've booked Hertz through the IHG link several times. Always a hassle to get what they promise you, but if you're persistent the points will post eventually. This last time was in the Cayman Islands in October, 1 week, not prepaid. After waiting 6 weeks for my points, I contacted IHG, was told to contact Hertz, so I did. After back and forth, they claimed the location was not a corporate owned Hertz location. I said nothing in the T&C's mentions that and the promo code is listed on my reservation and receipt. Took about 3 more weeks of back and forth. I needed the points to post properly as Elite qualifying. Dealt with a very rude IHG manager at the call center, Hertz CS was actually very nice & helpful. Eventually I received the needed elite qualifying points and then some--double posted. So just depends on how much time you want to spend back & forth with IHG's lousy call center & email reps.

Since it says no prepay rates, I would not count on getting anything. Strange there's not an option to pay when you get there.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:39 pm

But apart from getting IHG points, the other important factor is how do the rental rates compare - booking through IHG channel versus other available channels?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
But apart from getting IHG points, the other important factor is how do the rental rates compare - booking through IHG channel versus other available channels?
.... poor
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Well you have to pay for those extra points somehow
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

.... poor
For me they've been comparable or I wouldn't book through IHG.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steph58
For me they've been comparable or I wouldn't book through IHG.
Same, the IHG rate is actually competitive for the dates I need...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: IHG RA, IHG IC, HH DM, MPC GM
I filed a complaint on IHG hertz rental promotion. When I arrived the Hertz I found out it was cheaper to rent the car directly from Hertz for a better car than to do it through the IHG website.

The agent told me usually the price is higher if done through IHG even after the promotion discount offer. I was very upset as the rate when you enter Hertz on the day is higher too. Further, the insurance cost when using IHG to book is higher than insurance cost if booked directy from Hertz.

Will never trust booking via IHG again.

My 2 cents
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I would assume that you can't apply normal corporate discounts with Hertz if booked under the IHG promo.

It doesn't seem like a great return either given the airline point options that are available for booking via any other rates. I mainly credit my Hertz rentals to Virgin Atlantic
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
When I have checked the Hertz special deals in the past (linked to airline status) the base price has been considerably higher than I could get otherwise, after the special discount it was still a lot more, I guess some people just book thinking they are getting a bargain rather than a special higher price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.