Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who do the points go to in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Who do the points go to in this situation?

I recently just started a new job that requires travel. Since I haven't gotten my company credit card yet my boss has had to make reservations for me. When he makes the reservation, his IHG account automatically gets put in as the one on file. I asked the person at the front desk if they could change it and he said "he wasn't sure because my boss is the one paying for it." Even though I am the only one staying in the hotel. I called the IHG rewards answer line and after going back and forth with a supervisor about it she hung up on me. What are your thoughts? I was always under the assumption that whoever stayed in the room got the points. Is there anything I can do?
Old May 27, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Not you!

The points will generally go to the name on the reservation - you should be able to change this at checkin.

However - technically the company will own those points even if in your name and many hr departments are implementing policies to enforce this!

I would keep very quiet on the subject !
Old May 27, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
I recently just started a new job that requires travel. Since I haven't gotten my company credit card yet my boss has had to make reservations for me. When he makes the reservation, his IHG account automatically gets put in as the one on file. I asked the person at the front desk if they could change it and he said "he wasn't sure because my boss is the one paying for it." Even though I am the only one staying in the hotel. I called the IHG rewards answer line and after going back and forth with a supervisor about it she hung up on me. What are your thoughts? I was always under the assumption that whoever stayed in the room got the points. Is there anything I can do?
I do not see any issues with your boss getting the points, after all they are the ones paying for the room, correct?

What is the reason you would begrudge them on this issue? Unless you are the one paying for it on your own CC, another issue altogether.

Your freebies will happen in due course, I Am sure.

Have a good time.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Points are usually given to the person staying in the room. If you have an account you can put your account number on the reservation. Doesn't matter who pays for it. The times you don't get points is when it is paid for by a direct billing or maybe pre-paid before you arrive. So if you boss is doing pre-paid reservations probably neither one of you is getting points.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by vivoid
The points will generally go to the name on the reservation - you should be able to change this at checkin.

However - technically the company will own those points even if in your name and many hr departments are implementing policies to enforce this!

I would keep very quiet on the subject !

Trying to get the points sounds like a great way to lose a job. There'll be plenty of time to earn if the job requires it. Trying to beat the boss out of a few points? Not a smart move by a newbie. @:-)
Old May 28, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
There is a subtle difference between a Corporate CC that company accounts dept settles direct, and a Company CC that you yourself have to settle.

If by your "Boss" you mean your immediate manager whom is smply another company employee, and not the owner of the company you work for, then, no your manager/boss is not entitled to points for your stay at an hotel.

Whether a flex pay on arrival (guaranteed by CC) or ADR/BAR prepaid by the CC, the booking should be in your name else you can not checkin, OR room i for 2persons and you are named as the "additional guest" so you can checkin independently from person in whos name room is booked.

If your boss is getting points it means instead of booking without being signed onto his Hotel member account which would allow hotel room to be booked in your name; your boss deliberately chose to login for for his own good/bad/selfish reasons.

Correct you can't change the name of main booker on a reservation and member number has to match main guest name.

However at checkin, you will be asked to provide your own CC for incidental expenditure.
At this time simply mention only you are staying and hotel checkin clerk will change main guest name to yours, and can then also add your hotel member number.

ps
I did read somewhere in last 12-18months or so, about one USA manager who insisted on booking all his subordinate employees hotel rooms himself and thus ended up with several million hotel points (rather than his individual colleagues) that he was not entitled to.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:09 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
I asked the person at the front desk if they could change it and he said "he wasn't sure because my boss is the one paying for it."
Just ask another front desk agent. Tell her that the wrong IHG number is in the reservation and that you would like to have it corrected. No need to explain anything else.

What your boss will say about this is another story... My company confirmed that I could keep the miles (and probably points).

HTB.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify. We are both company employees. My boss is not the owner of the company. He merely just made the reservation for me as I haven't received my company credit card yet. He wasn't paying for it out of his own pocket. When I get my company card it will be coming out of the same account that his does just with my name printed on it.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
You're new at the job and want to do something that could cause a row with your boss. I foresee a swift turn to the labor exchange for you!
My advice, suck it up and wait for your card...
Old May 28, 2016, 8:49 pm

I suggest do nothing until you get your own card.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If this were about airline miles people would be saying something different.

The boss wouldn't even get the airline miles because the name on the ticket wouldn't match the name on the FFP account.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
You're new at the job and want to do something that could cause a row with your boss. I foresee a swift turn to the labor exchange for you!
My advice, suck it up and wait for your card...
same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.