IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I stayed here before the renovation and as a lowly gold Amb was upgraded to a junior suite. Check in was flawless, and had a wonderful stay.

I stayed this week using BOGO. Check in staff completely ignorant, did not acknowledge elite status, did manage to get a room on the 14th floor but don't know if it was much of an upgrade. No amenity points, had to call the 2nd day to inquire about fruit & water, no welcome gift.

The hotel itself is exceptional but the service was a big failure. As a Spire Amb I'm honestly disappointed. Stayed at IC Cleveland last weekend, upgraded to Jr Suite.. and received much better service.

If somebody by chance did have a GMs email I would appreciate it !
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I stayed here before the renovation and as a lowly gold Amb was upgraded to a junior suite. Check in was flawless, and had a wonderful stay.

I stayed this week using BOGO. Check in staff completely ignorant, did not acknowledge elite status, did manage to get a room on the 14th floor but don't know if it was much of an upgrade. No amenity points, had to call the 2nd day to inquire about fruit & water, no welcome gift.

The hotel itself is exceptional but the service was a big failure. As a Spire Amb I'm honestly disappointed. Stayed at IC Cleveland last weekend, upgraded to Jr Suite.. and received much better service.

I don't understand how this hotel consistently screws up with elite treatment. They have been told, yet STILL it continues. Little wonder they are having to sell rooms at less than HIX in the area. Ridiculous
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by turner32
I don't understand how this hotel consistently screws up with elite treatment. They have been told, yet STILL it continues. Little wonder they are having to sell rooms at less than HIX in the area. Ridiculous
This specific hotel is on my "Avoid List" for ever without having stayed due to consistant poor feedback/postings in FT RA/Amb threads.

I was hoping post refurb things would have improved

Thankfully being NYC I have plenty of other options within IHG (and also HH) to choose from.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
It's pretty rare that I see a hotel with excellent general reviews EXCEPT for Elite treatment.
Usually when a hotel is messed up in terms of how it treats customers, it's just messed up. The Barclay seems to just ignore Elites while doing the other stuff right. I'll update after my visit!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:47 am

I recently stayed 2 nights using AMB vouchers…I am afraid my experience was not good either...

Some of the issue we have had are normally not a be big issue for me, but when you adds them all up it is just not good enough. Not only the Elite treatment was poor, the service standard were also very hit and miss.

I checked in at the AMB desk, despite finding my reservation, I was asked if I have AMB membership? I was also offered the choice of amenities, however, I was told that the $20 drink voucher for using at the bar is for the member only, therefore only 1 voucher per room…I know this is not the case, but I could not be bothered to argue, so I asked for the normal fruit and water.

I had requested a twin room as my brother was joining me for the trip and it appeared that I was given a double upgrade to a Premier twin room, but to be honest I could not tell from the room itself.

The bathroom was not big and unfortunately was also not well cleaned. Hairs were still lying around on the shower floor, the toilet was also a bit dirty, the sink was just about ok. Whoever serviced the room clearly did not bother too much (The room also had only one pair of slippers) Housekeeping did not empty our bin the next morning, however, it got emptied during the turn down service…

The fruit and water arrived about 15 minutes after I checked in…small bowl of fruit with a small bottle of still and sparkling water each. The bowl consisted of some dates, a bruised banana, a bruised Apple and an rotten Orange and a good satsuma. It looks like a collection of whatever were left from the breakfast buffet..…

I would not normally complain about this, but since nothing had gone well so far at that point, I decided to ask the front desk if I could swap it with the drink voucher(s) instead. This time I avoided the AMB desk and the agent was very friendly, he happily issued me 2x $20 drink vouchers instead without me requested for 2.

Unfortunately, we had more issues..the next morning we noticed the toilet was not working probably, so we reported it to the front desk, it seemed to work normally again when we returned in the evening, but the same issue returned the next morning...

The service at the bar/restaurant was also not great…

We were checked out by the same agent that I informed about the dodgy toilet, I told him that the toilet needs to be looked into again...he was unapologetic and needless to say he did not ask how our stay was….

Overall, I like the location and the price was reasonable when using the AMB voucher, but I think that was about it...

We then moved to IC Time Square for one night, the experience was certainly much better in comparison.

Last edited by loyaltypointschaser; Sep 20, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Mirrors my experience as a Spire Ambassador last month, except that I couldn't be bothered to chase up fruit & water after the borderline passive aggressive check-in experience I had, so didn't get that either.

It's a shame as the hotel is physically beautiful in parts and has visibly had a lot of money spent on it, but back to the Conrad / Andaz Fifth Avenue / Park Hyatt when in NY for me.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Mirrors my experience as a Spire Ambassador last month, except that I couldn't be bothered to chase up fruit & water after the borderline passive aggressive check-in experience I had, so didn't get that either.

It's a shame as the hotel is physically beautiful in parts and has visibly had a lot of money spent on it, but back to the Conrad / Andaz Fifth Avenue / Park Hyatt when in NY for me.
Now that the remodelled upmarket shopping centre and food hall has opened across the street, the Conrad is an even better option than it was I think. And the 'all suite' layout is great. I have just booked 3 nights for 70k Hilton each.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Raffles
Now that the remodelled upmarket shopping centre and food hall has opened across the street, the Conrad is an even better option than it was I think. And the 'all suite' layout is great. I have just booked 3 nights for 70k Hilton each.
Agree entirely, whilst it's no Conrad Tokyo/Hong Kong in terms of service it's a great option when in NYC just for the space, it makes all other NYC hotel rooms seem too small by comparison and The Barclay is at the very other end of the spectrum! Andaz 5th and Park Hyatt both also have well above average sized rooms, but didn't put together until now that that's what connects all the hotels I prefer in NYC.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:54 pm

Agree entirely, whilst it's no Conrad Tokyo/Hong Kong in terms of service it's a great option when in NYC just for the space, it makes all other NYC hotel rooms seem too small by comparison and The Barclay is at the very other end of the spectrum! Andaz 5th and Park Hyatt both also have well above average sized rooms, but didn't put together until now that that's what connects all the hotels I prefer in NYC.
Does anyone have the email of the manager here, for IC Barclay? Is he called Herve?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

+1
On the same trip, I also stayed 2 nights at Conrad NYC after IC Barclay and IC TC. I was glad that I booked the last 2 nights at Conrad, so my stay was getting better and better I really like the Conrad NYC, convenient location, the room was modern and comfortable. Like you mentioned, the service were not as polished as Conrad Tokyo or Hong kong, but the hotel staff were all friendly and helpful.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by kyushuman
It's pretty rare that I see a hotel with excellent general reviews EXCEPT for Elite treatment.
Usually when a hotel is messed up in terms of how it treats customers, it's just messed up. The Barclay seems to just ignore Elites while doing the other stuff right. I'll update after my visit!
I just finished a stay here. TBH i had a very pleasant stay outside of the 'anticipated' lack of AMB freebies. I was more worried about getting a couple of good night sleeps and that was about it - so from that perspective, it ticked the right boxes.

My only negative was that the shower pressure was non existent when using the main shower head (TBH would have really expected a rain shower similar to the old IC St James - no longer) however since there is a secondary shower head, i was able to raise that to the same level of the main shower, and combined seemed to resolve my issue. Still not great though.

Just a thought - its almost seems as if the hotel has briefed their staff NOT to follow through with AMB benefits, as the answers came very quick when inconsistencies where highlighted!?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:42 am

I've had an interesting response from Mr. Houdre, the GM here.
He explained about upgrades, that the number of suites has reduced by two thirds, (which we know) but said that the reason upgrades were so generous pre- renovation, was to make up for the poor state of the rooms.
Confusingly, they cannot offer complimentary lounge access due to "Labor practices" - I'm not sure what this means.
He did not mention the issue with their staff, but I can only assume that he is aware of it, as it features in almost every review you read. Not that it's seems to have made any difference.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Two weeks ago, I have stayed at the IC Barclay (2 nights) and a few days later at the IC Times Square (1night). I have been at both hotels a few times before and concerning the IC Barclay can confirm many of the reports made here.
Arrival: First IC where the Bell Man did not offer to take care of my luggage; One person in front of me at AMB check-in, took a few minutes. Check-in agent was borderline unfriendly. I arrived ~4 pm, but was told that she had to check with housekeeping whether my room was ready. She went away from the checkin desk for almost 10 min (not clear why she was not able to call housekeeping from her desk?! - I figured that she probably went to the restroom). When she came back, without saying anything, typing in her computer then told me that she upgraded me to a Barclay King room (which is a 2-cat. upgrade, as the 1-cat. upgrade to a Deluxe King was not ready), but that it would only be on the 3rd floor. I accepted. Then was asked if I want points, fruit or water as my AMB amenities. I responded promptly, but in her opinion probably still too slow ... She prepared for the key cards. I then asked if there would be a voucher for the bar - she said yes and gave me two (I believe that I would not have gotten any if I would not have asked). Overall, it took a good 15 min to check me in - never took so long at any other IC before.
Room: Overall quite dark despite splendid weather outside. Everything is new and the room looks very nice and high quality. I hated the bed sheets/covers which are of an awful synthetic material, which one normally finds only in cheap HI Express hotels. Bathroom is nice, but not very practical. Bad water pressure in the shower, as mentioned several times already. Closet is tiny.
Breakfast: Good, but not overwhelming quality for the prize. Got charged the American Breakfast, although I only ordered the Continental Breakfast, which was was annoying.
Bar/Dinner: Great bar with great food and drinks + attentive and friendly service.

Before the renovation I really liked the Barclay and I think it was reasonably prized. Now, I simply find it offers too little for the prize. I find it particular stingy not to offer a free bottle of water for a room that costs >500$/night and for me as a Spire AMB that spends several thousands of $/year at IC hotels.
In comparison to the IC Times Square, I would say that the Barclay looses in all categories. I really enjoyed my room ('only' on the 21st floor) overlooking 8th Av towards Times Square): similar size than the Barclay King, more light, less noise, similar quality amenities and a good 100$ cheaper ...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Barclay now selling for $103 for Friday nights in February, eg 10th, 24th.

HIX 5th Avenue is $149 on the same nights .......
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Barclay now selling for $103 for Friday nights in February, eg 10th, 24th.

HIX 5th Avenue is $149 on the same nights .......
Incredible.

It transpires that the GM here believes that the upgrade policy for Ambassador and Royal Ambassador is the same. A single category upgrade. Is it any wonder they're screwing up so badly, when even their main guy doesn't understand the program, or what his hotel should be offering?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.