CP Yas island or IC Abu Dhabi

Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:53 am
Original Poster

CP Yas island or IC Abu Dhabi

Hi all

Deciding which hotel to stay in ...I have plenty of points and a ambassador weekend certificate I could use here.

The CP Yas Island can give me club access for 12 pound per day even though I'm spire!

The IC are willing to give me free upgrade to a club room with club access.

We will be staying for 3 nights then going to Dubai for 3 nights. There's two adults and our child will be 5 and she loves the swimming pools.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at both hotels ? Looks like CP is in better location with cheaper restaurants

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:35 am

When I moved to AUH first I lived in both of them for 3 months each.....!

Yas Island is a little remote. Taxiing into the Corniche is probably 60 - 70 AED these days. But it is nice and relaxed. Pool is great. Yas Links is next door if you play.

The IC is far more convenient for the city, being almost on the Corniche. Its old school by Abu Dhabi standards, but still a classy hotel. Rooms are ok, but frayed around the edges. The pool options have increased recently as they put another one in down near the shoreline (you have a beach of sorts also).

Both have some good restaurants. The breakfasts in both are excellent, with the IC shading it purely on the vast selection.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that

IC restaurants look pretty expensive.

We were looking to go to the water park with our child and from IC ABu Dhabi it will be approx 15 pound in a taxi using Uber estimates if that about right?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 am

That should be about right. Yas Waterworld is a good day out. Ferrari World, with a smally, maybe not so much in my opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks. Crowne Plaza are offering this for Spire Elite guests;

At the moment, we offer our Spire Elite Members,
Special rate for the Club Lounge Access at 58 AED net per night.
25% Discount on Food & Beverage.
2 Welcome Drinks vouchers.

Have you used the lounge at either?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Ok thanks. Crowne Plaza are offering this for Spire Elite guests;

At the moment, we offer our Spire Elite Members,
Special rate for the Club Lounge Access at 58 AED net per night.
25% Discount on Food & Beverage.
2 Welcome Drinks vouchers.

IC is better. Thinking about it during the day, I'd probably say the IC will be better for you. Go for your trip down to Yas Waterworld. If you are around on Sunday.....do this: https://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/...ess-activities

Its kinda cool to go out on the F1 track. The cyclists go one way, you can jog or walk the opposite way.

You are also going to be dragged to Yas Mall whether you like it or not.

Other than that, stay in the IC in the city. :-)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that I appreciate
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:41 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4

I found the lounge at the CP small and uninteresting last stay, the pool looked nice but as it was chilly in Jan did not partake. The Yas island area was also well spread out and very quiet from the CP perspective and there is a shuttle

http://www.yasisland.ae/en/maps--tools/yas-express-/

I have decided to stay at the IC next month, the RA privileges probably being the swinging factor, as well as what I consider to be a better locale for my interests.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:57 pm

I ended up moving from the IC and burning some points to use at the Staybridge Suites, at 25000 per night. It turned out to be a good call for the following reasons:

1. I am a week into the trip and the free laundry is a bonus.
2. I was upgraded to an Emirates suite at the IC, which despite being the best room bookable had some noteworthy issues, namely the sleep area being on the drag strip side of the hotel where the locals try out their million dollar cars in the early hours, the aircon also struggled, Internet was woeful and the room had stale smoke smells.
3. The Staybridge has no club, but does offer free breakfast every day and dinner from Sunday to Wednesday.

If you have a child who loves pools, the Staybridge has one and you can also use the Crowne Plazas. The only down side is it's completely dry when it comes to alcohol as its not a hotel, and thus cannot sell alcohol. You can however BYO of course, and the nearby mall has a supermarket, with the suites being equipped with a kitchen, the cost of restaurants decreases in value.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:32 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by markis10
I ended up moving from the IC and burning some points to use at the Staybridge Suites, at 25000 per night. It turned out to be a good call for the following reasons:

1. I am a week into the trip and the free laundry is a bonus.
2. I was upgraded to an Emirates suite at the IC, which despite being the best room bookable had some noteworthy issues, namely the sleep area being on the drag strip side of the hotel where the locals try out their million dollar cars in the early hours, the aircon also struggled, Internet was woeful and the room had stale smoke smells.
3. The Staybridge has no club, but does offer free breakfast every day and dinner from Sunday to Wednesday.

If you have a child who loves pools, the Staybridge has one and you can also use the Crowne Plazas. The only down side is it's completely dry when it comes to alcohol as its not a hotel, and thus cannot sell alcohol. You can however BYO of course, and the nearby mall has a supermarket, with the suites being equipped with a kitchen, the cost of restaurants decreases in value.
Not sure what supermarket you are referring to above but no supermarket here sells alcohol that I am aware of. There are however designated “booze shops” (many adjacent to supermarkets such as Spinneys) that sell alcohol to license holders (only available to residents) - some will sell without checking for a license. Visitors also technically need a license to drink in hotels (even if they are staying at that hotel) but its rarely enforced unless one draws attention to oneself.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Not sure what supermarket you are referring to above but no supermarket here sells alcohol that I am aware of. There are however designated “booze shops” (many adjacent to supermarkets such as Spinneys) that sell alcohol to license holders (only available to residents) - some will sell without checking for a license. Visitors also technically need a license to drink in hotels (even if they are staying at that hotel) but its rarely enforced unless one draws attention to oneself.
My reference to the supermarket is in regards the kitchen, and the fact you can prepare a private meal rather than rely on the restaurants. I was quite surprised how cheap the beef was, anyone not happy with the supplied dinner or staying over the weekend could quite easily cook a decent meal with little effort.

Last edited by markis10; Mar 14, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:43 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by markis10
My reference to the supermarket is in regards the kitchen, and the fact you can prepare a private meal rather than rely on the restaurants. I was quite surprised how cheap the beef was, anyone not happy with the supplied dinner or staying over the weekend could quite easily cook a a decent meal with little effort.
You referred to BYO. In my parlance (and in the context you wrote it) that means B(ring) Y(our) O(wn) alcohol. I would want to avoid anyone not familiar with the law here that buying booze off the shelf is easy. Its not. Hence my reply.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
You referred to BYO. In my parlance (and in the context you wrote it) that means B(ring) Y(our) O(wn) alcohol. I would want to avoid anyone not familiar with the law here that buying booze off the shelf is easy. Its not. Hence my reply.
Thanks for the info re purchasing alcohol BTW, I was aware of the difficulty from previous trips not that I often purchase when travelling. In the BYO context I was inferring to duty free, which ironically the UAE has one of the most generous limits around compared to many countries where alcohol is common place and easier to buy.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:55 pm

IC Abu Dhabi

InterContinental Abu Dhabi

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz Street Abu Dhabi, AE 4171

IC Abu Dhabi (4 Photos)

I spent a number of weeks agonising over where to stay for my trip to Abu Dhabi, and decided on the IC, as it was a short walk from where the action was for the Red Bull air race.

I arrived around 1.30pm and after some delay, checked in. As the hotel was oversold the night before, apparently limited options were available and I was upgraded to the Emirates Suite on the 7th floor. On entry to the room I noted a number of things:

1. The room stank of stale smoke

2. The mini bar looked emptyish

Around four hours after checkin a plate of fruit was delivered, the person delivering it mentioned they would be back with cutlery etc, I never saw them again.

The rooms living area essentially took up the shape of a U, with a dining area and guest toilet on the left, lounge room at the bottom and bedroom on the right. The bathroom took up the middle.

Unfortunately I had a number of issues, specifically really poor internet and road noise while sleeping. As a result I ended up leaving early. If you are on holiday, this is an ideal location and has seven restaurants to choose from. If you are on business, then I would caution recommending a stay if you get the sameservice Idid.

IC Abu Dhabi

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Abu Dhabi?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:07 pm

Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi

Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi Yas Island

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Yas Island Golf Plaza Abu Dhabi, AE 41880

Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi (4 Photos)

What a great option for using points! After my decision to move from the IC, this seemed logical at 25000 points a night, no club, you get a suite by default and essentially full board Sunday through Thursday with complimentary dinners to go with the free breakfasts.

This property is designed for long stays, so it has a full kitchen and a washing machine. Full (empty) fridge and cutlery. The Internet was fast and free, and with the Yas mall a short free bus ride away, self catering is easy. You also get to use the facilities of the Crowne Plaza next door, including their pool bar (Staybridge is totally dry by law). I slept well, never got bothered by noise and enjoyed the basic free meals.

The pool bar at the Crowne Plaza.

Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi

Would you like to write a review on the Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi Yas Island?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.