Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London O2 (Greenwich) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Petrus
The overall impression from rooms and public areas is that this is a high-end business hotel, not a luxury 5-star like the Park Lane
+1

I think it is the same story for the Four Seasons Park Lane versus Canary Wharf
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by nicolas75
The fact that they class that room as a suite is a disgrace.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by turner32
The fact that they class that room as a suite is a disgrace.
Indeed: it is an executive room for me.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by woodcocksj
I am staying here at the beginning of March and have been told that all facilities will be open by then. The Hotel also told me that lounge access will cost Ambassadors £75 per room compared to the normal £95 per night.
Yes also the same booked a couple nights at IC PL then couple at IC O2 April 15-18 last November for the Muse concert at the O2.

They said all would be open by then and said they would have a better idea of what RA's would get in Feb. Helpful folks on the reservation side.

Had a walk round it before the sign went up last October and have to say I thought it looked rather good but was a very quick look.

Location wise for tourists it is disconnected but for business and events it's absolutely in the zone.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I decided to try them again, and actually stay the night this time.

Upgraded from a superior king to a Riverview Club Intercontinental Suite, which has a separate bedroom and lounge area. Quite impressive, and everything still looks new. Windows need a good clean though.

The gaps in the mini bar had been filled with a phone charger, fresh milk and a "simply intimate collection for lovers" pack.

A lot busier as there was boxing in the o2 so the word is out and I'd expect prices will start to go up during big events.

The skybar is a bit disappointing. One wall of windows is hidden by the bar. It's not like the impression on the web site. The cocktail menu is one page long. I like to work my way through a cocktail menu when I'm out with some friends. Wouldn't take long here. One vodka cocktail, one gin one, for example, not much choice. Some very odd seating choices too. Who wants to sit on a pouf?

If you're going to put in an espresso machine why use a Tassimo? No espresso capsules just Costa Americano.

That completes my Jan accelerate stay at least.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:47 am

Any update on the Club Lounge and spa/pool? I will be staying the first week of February.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:12 am

Well I'm here right now, on a weekend stay, and can confirm that the Club Lounge is open and fully functional, well the facilities are anyway. I shan't be booking a Club Rate here, or accepting it as an RA upgrade again as the service is very poor when compared to the IC PL. For the first time ever, I've just seen a fellow guest go to the main desk and call down to reception to complain that there have been no staff whatsoever in the Club lounge. I will post a more detailed report on my stay later.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
Just finished a stay here this past week, and I was put in the "river view suite" that was at best just an oversized standard room. Having come from the IC Berlin in a Junior Suite that blew this "Suite" away, I was disappointed to say the least. At £495 a night, I was a bit shocked.

It was a fairly long 5 minute walk from the North Greenwich Underground station at the O2. the pathway has you crossing a road 4-5 times and a majority of the path is still dirt and gets a bit messy in the rain.

The club lounge was a bit of a mess with staff not present when I was there three times. \

I was so looking forward to this location and the ease of being at the O2 to just jump on the Tube and go, but I doubt I'll ever be back. I was not expecting such a long walk from the O2 without almost no signage, covering, and stretches with no pavement.

I think I'll stick with the Savoy or IC PL when in London again.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldJumper
It was a fairly long 5 minute walk from the North Greenwich Underground station at the O2. the pathway has you crossing a road 4-5 times and a majority of the path is still dirt and gets a bit messy in the rain.
Indeed

The club lounge was a bit of a mess with staff not present when I was there three times.

I think I'll stick with the Savoy when in London again.
Definitely not the same league (not the same location and segment).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I cancelled my booking made before hotels opening for early Feb2016 as I am traveling in Asia right now.

Reading between the lines regards posts from RAs staying so far, looks like I should avoid IC O2 on my return to London in April, and stick with either of
IC-PL or CP-City where I am usually treated very well?

Just checking before I book some London 2Q16 nights
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:47 am

I've just returned from the IC O2, having spent a weekend there with my good old dad - unfortunately he's not going to be around for much longer, so we decided to have one last "blow out" weekend!

The staff were all welcoming and very friendly, indeed it seemed as if nothing was too much trouble for them. They were also very keen to make sure we were having a good time and kindly extended the ambassador benefits to the second room... we both ended up with a fruit platter, assortment of nuts and complimentary mineral water (replaced each day). They also gave free high-speed Internet access (which was fast enough to stream TV) and also a discount on parking costs.

I'd booked two "King Club IC" rooms, of which one was upgraded to a suite - well, more like a junior suite really. Nonetheless, it was a lovely room and provided ample space for the two of us to have a game of Diablo 3 on our respective laptops each evening.

The prices in the hotel's bars and restaurants actually didn't seem that high - perhaps it's more the case that places around here (35 miles due east of London, in north Kent) overcharge a bit!

Compared to the last 5-star hotel I stayed in (the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec) the difference is night and day. The Chateau had tiny outdated rooms and very cold, unhelpful staff, whereas the IC O2 has larger ultra-modern rooms and staff who were falling over themselves to help us both!

The Club Intercontinental lounge was welcoming and quite large; the staff there said that at the weekend there would be "mid-teens" in terms of numbers of guests eligible to use it. There's a good selection of cold breakfast items and also some hot options - I don't know what these were, though, as I stayed with the cold buffet. This was in effect a mini version of the main buffet in the Brasserie which, incidentally, is the most impressive breakfast buffet I've seen anywhere. In the evening the lounge served canapés, but they also had cookies and crisps (Kettle Chips). There were various beers, wines and spirits on offer, along with fruit juices and soft drinks. I went in to the lounge a couple of times a day over 4 days and there was always at least one member of staff around when I was there.

There was only one minor negative during the stay - having to unplug a lamp in the suite in order to plug in a laptop charger (there's an unused "3 circular pins" plug further down, I expect that the lamp was meant to have one of those plugs).

We didn't have any problems walking to the North Greenwich tube station, although once the direct link to the O2 opens it would be even more convenient to get out and about.

Lounge photos (taken on a phone, so not the best quality!):

Last edited by Retron; Feb 29, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Indeed

Definitely not the same league (not the same location and segment).
Yeah, but I went out of my way on this stay to try the new IC out. I typically stay at the Savoy, IC-PL, Hyatt Regency, or Hilton Paddington.

It was just an overall let down from many past IC experiences that are far above compare here.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:22 am

I sense imminent IC disappointment like the first time I walked into the club lounge in Prague! :-)

The lounge photos look like a Priority Pass lounge! I hope to be wrong as I had the opportunity to be at IC-PL which I've started to enjoy staying at these days....but I rather like doing new IC locations and soft openings can be great opportunities in my experience.

Just to check on a few things please....

- is the pool now open

- do they do a champagne service in the lounge....i.e the normal 6-8 type thing

- has the staffing improved in the lounge & could you spend an evening here as you could say at IC-PL?

- do you have option to take full breakfast downstairs....lounge looks thin

Normally the service and offerings are over done rather than under done at opening phase.

Any other updates and details from folks staying recent days would be very useful....has the offering improved from early reports? Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Could just be a useful stop gap for cheaper IC nights to qual/re-qual as RA without needing to fly to some cheaper European City compared to IC-PL

eg I saw £140 rate for Easter Friday for IC-O2
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Could just be a useful stop gap for cheaper IC nights to qual/re-qual as RA without needing to fly to some cheaper European City compared to IC-PL

eg I saw £140 rate for Easter Friday for IC-O2
Rates are very competitive and in fairness although my post reads somewhat negative, I have had good support from staff and management so far. They appear responsive and motivated.

Soft openings are very much a hit or a miss.....so maybe its best give them the benefit of the doubt and judge on results not the perception.

I've been wrong before were perceptions were poor when the reality was significantly better...Sun Peninsular, Shanghai Expo, even Davos. Roll on Robertsons Quay later year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.