Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by miadukes
I gotta say that this is the first one that I am looking at and i am not impressed. I hope they get better! I have a ton of points ot burn

Maybe they are purposely putting out lesser list since the promotion is giving away so many points, they figure people might just burn em up quick on these?
Having watched PB lists for five years and read these threads for five years, my advice is this:

1. Have no expectations. The PB list covers a tiny portion of IHG properties (2-3%), and no one (outside of IHG staff) really knows where or what hotels will be on it from list to list.
2. Complaining about the list will not make it any better.
3. If there is a hotel on the list that fits your needs, be grateful for all the points you're saving. If there isn't, move on and come back in a few months for the next list
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TokinaMaso
I made a map of all the properties on the PointBreaks. You can check it on google maps here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Q.kzVgV1KuOsyw

Each hotel also has it's rating, regular number of points needed per night as well as price on random date per night in USD (pre-tax).

Let me know if you spot any bugs and I'll update the map.
This is excellent, thank you TokinaMaso! The location accuracy is quite good, much more granular than simply the name of the city.
Originally Posted by onthego15
Having watched PB lists for five years and read these threads for five years, my advice is this:

1. Have no expectations. The PB list covers a tiny portion of IHG properties (2-3%), and no one (outside of IHG staff) really knows where or what hotels will be on it from list to list.
2. Complaining about the list will not make it any better.
3. If there is a hotel on the list that fits your needs, be grateful for all the points you're saving. If there isn't, move on and come back in a few months for the next list
4 days someplace new and off the beaten path is actually pretty fun. A couple of PB back from this one a HIX in Woonsocket, RI, was close enough to the Blackstone River bike path to make for some excellent autumn cycling. Ever been to Death Valley? This time around we've got Pahrump, CA, available for that excellent rate of only 5,000 points. I love PB!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 24, 2016 at 8:30 pm Reason: A little confusion with Mexican cities :-(
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Staybridge Lexington, KY during Keeneland's spring racing season is a personal win. ^

There may also be some potential to combine with the Florida rental driveout offers for a cheap spring roadtrip.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EmailKid
+4

Always wanted to visit Guadalajara. Hopefully I can find a good fare on one of Mexico's LCCs
I am not seeing Guadalajara on the list?

I made it down in September when HI Centro Historico was on the PB list. I highly encourage a visit to GDL even if you have to pay ~$50/night out of pocket.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I am not seeing Guadalajara on the list?

I made it down in September when HI Centro Historico was on the PB list. I highly encourage a visit to GDL even if you have to pay ~$50/night out of pocket.
A little confusion with Mexican cities

I've wanted to visit, and guess being a former longtime IAH flyer, Monterrey somehow turned into GDL. September is still hot, so didn't go then.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:39 pm

Looking for a week+ stay and not seeing much that's walkable, provides easy access to other cities via public transit / cheap flights and is in an area where the quality of life is high.

Top 3 after a bit of research:
(1) HIX Amiens - shortest walk to city center, great food, okay access to Paris, London & Belgium
(2) HIX Duesseldorf - short walk to city center, great food + art scene, budget flights to anywhere
(3) HI Townsville - Great Barrier Reef, right on national hwy, $$$ goes farther in Australia right now

Close:
(1) Japan CP's - cherry blossom season, but it'd be worth just staying in more major cities
(2) CP West Hanoi - great hotel, remote location, air / noise pollution, bearable for a week tops
(3) CP Vilnius - great hotel, not walkable to city center, poor transit links to other cities

Thoughts?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:41 pm

Have stayed at the CP Monterrey multiple times and have always had a pleasant stay.The lobby is stunning with a lobby bar that includes live performances all day. The breakfast buffet is 2 for 1 after 10:00 am and included a juice/smoothie bar, omelette station, pancakes/waffles made to order, huge salad and fruit bar, and quesadilla stand with many ingredients.

Very nice indoor pool, ample fitness center, tennis courts and centrally located property.

Rooms are little dated but at $85/nt it is very good value. At 5000 points this is a steal...

Last edited by triger02; Jan 24, 2016 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by mster
(3) CP Vilnius - great hotel, not walkable to city center, poor transit links to other cities
A bit far from center, but walkable IMO. Not much to see in/around the city, so not the best destination to spend a week.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by mster
Looking for a week+ stay and not seeing much that's walkable, provides easy access to other cities via public transit / cheap flights and is in an area where the quality of life is high.

Top 3 after a bit of research:
(1) HIX Amiens - shortest walk to city center, great food, okay access to Paris, London & Belgium
(2) HIX Duesseldorf - short walk to city center, great food + art scene, budget flights to anywhere
(3) HI Townsville - Great Barrier Reef, right on national hwy, $$$ goes farther in Australia right now

Close:
(1) Japan CP's - cherry blossom season, but it'd be worth just staying in more major cities
(2) CP West Hanoi - great hotel, remote location, air / noise pollution, bearable for a week tops

Thoughts?
The Helsinki property is right next to transit to the city center so not walkable but pretty convenient either way.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
The Helsinki property is right next to transit to the city center so not walkable but pretty convenient either way.
This property was on the list last quarter, and I actually had a hold there but dropped it because flights were crap. But I might try again now.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The list does not seem great but I guess at least there is still a list. Now, would we be willing to pay, say, 7500 points a night for a better list?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Tempted by the HIX BKK, but then I will need 2 rooms because of the kids......I got a deal at CY that we can all stay in a family room.

Read the review of the HIX BKK, and it's so mixed that I think I'll pass.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by username
The list does not seem great but I guess at least there is still a list. Now, would we be willing to pay, say, 7500 points a night for a better list?
I think 5k/7.5k won't make much of a difference. You can either use the hotel on the list or not.

I'm tempted by the CPs in Japan but then having to fly there to use the list? That's a bit much.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:53 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by nacho
I'm tempted by the CPs in Japan but then having to fly there to use the list? That's a bit much.
The Okayama CP is decent, and if you're going during cherry blossom season, it's a pretty good alternative to Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima hotels, which command rather outrageous prices especially on weekends.

Of course very few PB hotels are worth flying halfway around the world, but if you're in the region anyway, there are some decent options on this list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.