Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Investor 11
Unfortunately, there was one employee who I felt was subpar. I would love to hear feedback from others on whether my feelings were warranted. I booked a 2 bed room because I needed two beds. I called the hotel ahead of time to ask about upgrades as the only other room with 2 beds is the 2 bed luxury suite with balcony. I spoke with a member of reservations and he made a note of my request and stated he did not see an issue of upgrading to the luxury suite and to call the day before arriving to try and confirm. I did so, and 2 double bed luxury suite was confirmed. Arrived at hotel for early check in. This was the day after the Grammys, so I was not surprised to find out the room wasn't ready. After some searching I was placed in a standard room until suite was ready. Was told suite would be ready at 5pm because another Royal Ambassador was in room and taking advantage of late checkout. Fine, no quibble with that. Checked back in at the desk around 3pm just to see if room had become available by any chance. The front desk agent said it was not and that I would not be able to check into the suite until 8pm! When I asked why I would have to wait until 8pm the agent became defensive and a bit snappy. She proceeded to tell me that I was receiving a triple upgrade and that the listed rate of the room was over $600 and I had only paid $259. I said I understand what I paid, and that I was just confused on why I was being forced to wait until 8pm when the understood late checkout it is 4pm, especially if another Royal Ambassador is waiting. She then said they would be checking out late because they paid for the suite! Moved to king luxury suite.

My issue wasn't the level of upgrade. I try to never expect a certain upgrade knowing that things change. But, I felt there was a much more tactful way of shifting my room around than the way this front desk agent chose to handle it. Had I known this would be the issue I could have been moved into the king suite earlier in the day as opposed to waiting.
Three thoughts...

1. Maybe the room was trashed and took a long time to clean up. But they didn't want to tell you this of course.

2. They had said earlier it was an RA there because that's an easy excuse. Maybe it was some Grammy celebrity or agent or something who had some kind of juice with the hotel and who decided late that afternoon that they didn't feel like leaving at 4pm. Again, they would not share this information with you. Client confidentiality and all.

3. I had it happen plenty of times, at various hotel chains such as IC, Starwood, Hilton, etc) where my expected upgrade level didn't happen for some last minute reason like this. I could tell that the hotel had tried but there was simply no choice for me to have a suite that night, but they would shift me the next day. There's nothing to complain about in that scenario. Just take the room they give you.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:00 am
uk1
Suspended

IC Singapore

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

I don't write repeat reports but this stay was exceptional. It was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Business Room to Clubhouse Shop suite

How are the rooms?

Excellent

How is the exec. lounge?

Excellent. Jana is a great Club Lounge Manager and anticipates what you need and does everything to ensure your stay is happy. Food and nibbles are repetitive but the happy hour free flow drinks compensates. There are now no cashews in the nut bowls. It was lovely to return during the day for English Breakfast tea after a walk out but at times it can get a bit noisy with idiots shouting at each other, or into their phone or skyping whilst walking around. I also wish that some men realise that it isn't natural or considerate to immerse yourself in odd fragrances and smell of a bordello and spread and share that terrible overpowering stench with a few dozen other people who do not wish to enjoy it. Chidren can also get a bit noisy at times when parents fail to control them

Did you receive a welcome gift?

Chopsticks - we now have a drawer full.

How was the minibar?

Excellent. Filled to our choices and preferences pre-arrival from notes they keep from previous visits. We really used the mini-bar sometimes in preference for Cocktail Hours in the lounge and all items were removed from the bill without us ever seeing them. We will miss it when we drop out of RA.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good

We stayed for a leisure trip of three weeks and it was a perfect stay. Staff and management were generous and hospitable. For example I hate crowded breakfasts which was inevitable over CNY and management know it makes me grumpy. We were comped room service breakfast for a few days over CNY just like IC Viennna.

We were unexpectedly comped two Sunday Champagne Brunches for my wife and I (normally S$158 each ....) and the food was perfect. Lobster, oysters, crab and other seafood plus all the Sunday lunch normals but also Veuve Clicquot Champagne (and not your cheaper stuff with the napkin cleverly over the label stuff) was on generous free-flow and to be honest we drank too much and suffered the terrible consequences.

One morning the broadband was down. I hadn't complained in anyway, just asked whether "it was me" or the hotel, but a bottle of wine and choccies were sent with a note of apology. They noticed we hadn't been in the lounge for a few nights and so they sent a bottle of champagne and some wine to our suite with nibbles as "we'd missed out". Having a couple of items laundered free per day also made the longer stay easier. The stay was highly customised from their notes ie our preferred suite; garden furniture in the garden; suite serviced at the same time each day; mini-bar set up exactly as we like it. etc etc. Fruitwas changed dailywithout asking ..... the wife's partiality to fresh bananas remembered from their notes from previous visits and replaced daily if unused. Flowers and clearly extra flowers were being placed in the suite were changed daily. Bedlinen changed daily automatically without us asking.

I used a personal router in the suite rather than wifi and this increased speed from around 8 mbps to around 40 mbps making our TV streaming from the UK from our slingboxes perfect. HDMI wall connectors shot the picture straight to flat screen TV.

This is genuinely our "second home" in Singapore.

-Bad

Nothing at all other than leaving to come home ... we could have stayed longer.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Excellent

Would you return?

Are you joking!

We have stayed around 50 nights over three visits over the last year and plan around 40 over the next. All are non-qualifying with no points or nights earned even though we spend a packet ....

*** Please note that the upgrade and other facilities provided were not obligatory and RAs should not expect them. It does however indicate how they can look after loyal long-term long-stay customers. I state this because some people when making demands aggressively and badgering hotels to provide over and above their entitlement makes life worst for us all and results in inhibiting people posting to inform.

Last edited by uk1; Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:25 am

It is in fact a bundle of past experiences in recent 2-3 years.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by stimpy
Three thoughts...

1. Maybe the room was trashed and took a long time to clean up. But they didn't want to tell you this of course.

2. They had said earlier it was an RA there because that's an easy excuse. Maybe it was some Grammy celebrity or agent or something who had some kind of juice with the hotel and who decided late that afternoon that they didn't feel like leaving at 4pm. Again, they would not share this information with you. Client confidentiality and all.

3. I had it happen plenty of times, at various hotel chains such as IC, Starwood, Hilton, etc) where my expected upgrade level didn't happen for some last minute reason like this. I could tell that the hotel had tried but there was simply no choice for me to have a suite that night, but they would shift me the next day. There's nothing to complain about in that scenario. Just take the room they give you.
I think it was the manner in which it was done that upset the OP, not the upgrade, or the waiting, necessarily.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by uk1

I don't write repeat reports but this stay was exceptional. It was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Business Room to Clubhouse Shop suite

How are the rooms?

Excellent

How is the exec. lounge?

Excellent. Jana is a great Club Lounge Manager and anticipates what you need and does everything to ensure your stay is happy. Food and nibbles are repetitive but the happy hour free flow drinks compensates. There are now no cashews in the nut bowls. It was lovely to return during the day for English Breakfast tea after a walk out but at times it can get a bit noisy with idiots shouting at each other, or into their phone or skyping whilst walking around. I also wish that some men realise that it isn't natural or considerate to immerse yourself in odd fragrances and smell of a bordello and spread and share that terrible overpowering stench with a few dozen other people who do not wish to enjoy it. Chidren can also get a bit noisy at times when parents fail to control them

Chopsticks - we now have a drawer full.

How was the minibar?

Excellent. Filled to our choices and preferences pre-arrival from notes they keep from previous visits. We really used the mini-bar sometimes in preference for Cocktail Hours in the lounge and all items were removed from the bill without us ever seeing them. We will miss it when we drop out of RA.

-Good

We stayed for a leisure trip of three weeks and it was a perfect stay. Staff and management were generous and hospitable. For example I hate crowded breakfasts which was inevitable over CNY and management know it makes me grumpy. We were comped room service breakfast for a few days over CNY just like IC Viennna.

We were unexpectedly comped two Sunday Champagne Brunches for my wife and I (normally S$158 each ....) and the food was perfect. Lobster, oysters, crab and other seafood plus all the Sunday lunch normals but also Veuve Clicquot Champagne (and not your cheaper stuff with the napkin cleverly over the label stuff) was on generous free-flow and to be honest we drank too much and suffered the terrible consequences.

One morning the broadband was down. I hadn't complained in anyway, just asked whether "it was me" or the hotel, but a bottle of wine and choccies were sent with a note of apology. They noticed we hadn't been in the lounge for a few nights and so they sent a bottle of champagne and some wine to our suite with nibbles as "we'd missed out". Having a couple of items laundered free per day also made the longer stay easier. The stay was highly customised from their notes ie our preferred suite; garden furniture in the garden; suite serviced at the same time each day; mini-bar set up exactly as we like it. etc etc. Fruitwas changed dailywithout asking ..... the wife's partiality to fresh bananas remembered from their notes from previous visits and replaced daily if unused. Flowers and clearly extra flowers were being placed in the suite were changed daily. Bedlinen changed daily automatically without us asking.

I used a personal router in the suite rather than wifi and this increased speed from around 8 mbps to around 40 mbps making our TV streaming from the UK from our slingboxes perfect. HDMI wall connectors shot the picture straight to flat screen TV.

This is genuinely our "second home" in Singapore.

-Bad

Nothing at all other than leaving to come home ... we could have stayed longer.

Excellent

Would you return?

Are you joking!

We have stayed around 50 nights over three visits over the last year and plan around 40 over the next. All are non-qualifying with no points or nights earned even though we spend a packet ....

*** Please note that the upgrade and other facilities provided were not obligatory and RAs should not expect them. It does however indicate how they can look after loyal long-term long-stay customers. I state this because some people when making demands aggressively and badgering hotels to provide over and above their entitlement makes life worst for us all and results in inhibiting people posting to inform.
That all sounds pretty standard. I usually put 100+ nights to the IC Singapore and the balance with the GH. I prefer the GH but switch around simply for a change.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:45 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
That all sounds pretty standard. I usually put 100+ nights to the IC Singapore and the balance with the GH. I prefer the GH but switch around simply for a change.
Good for you. ^

Shame you haven't shared more of your experiences of IC Singapore with the thread as I guess it would be of interest and value .......

Last edited by uk1; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
Good for you. ^

Shame you haven't shared more of your experiences of IC Singapore with the thread as I guess it would be of interest and value .......
I think you've covered it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
IC Paris Avenue Marceau

What is your Priority Club status?
RA

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
It was definitely not a highlight.
No IC standard in my opinion, Indigo brand would be much more appropriate for this property.

Booked lowest category on points, two categories up to Prestige Room.

How are the rooms?
Standard rooms are 15sqm only, my room had 25sqm according to the website. Accaptable size but quite simple. What is supposed to be modern and straightforward in terms of design gave the room a certain ikea-type atmosphere. At Indigo I would expect this, but here it does not fit.

How is the exec. lounge?
n/a

What was your welcome gift?
Nothing, didn't care though.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Apple, kiwi-fruit, orange. Quite basic.

^
- location is fine for shopping and sightseeing
- staff (manager introduced himself as well)

- style and design (feels cheap)
- room layout
- wireless phone

50k instead of ~500€. That's totally fine, but Le Grand is a much better deal for RA.

Would you return?
No reason. Next stay will be at Le Grand - for sure.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
What is your Priority Club status?
RA

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
It was definitely not a highlight.
No IC standard in my opinion, Indigo brand would be much more appropriate for this property.
Yes, this other IC was a lowly CP before being reflagged as an IC, also no lounge so Paris-LG for me is the hotel of choice.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
IC Shanghai Expo

IC Shanghai Expo

Absolutely

Club, got suite.

How are the rooms?
As previously mentioned, large, functional suites with oversized bathroom. Comfortable living room. Jura coffee machine.

How is the Club Lounge?
Great as always. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast, snack and drink selections.

What was good?
- Outstanding staff and service
- Luxurious rooms
- The Chinese restaurant has become one of my favorites in Shanghai
- Nice gym and pool area

Value for CNY or Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
I'm always returning when in Shanghai.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
IC Shanghai Expo

Absolutely

Club, got suite.
Did you get the suites at xx01 or xx02 (which I've received when I was Ambassador), or do you get an ever larger one as RA? I haven't stayed at Expo since I became RA. If I stay for the week, I always book a Club room.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Did you get the suites at xx01 or xx02 (which I've received when I was Ambassador), or do you get an ever larger one as RA? I haven't stayed at Expo since I became RA. If I stay for the week, I always book a Club room.
Depends, but I also don't really have a big preference.
Sometimes I request a xx02 at check in which is usually no problem.
Twice I got a diplomatic suite, but I really prefer the normal suites as their layout and furniture is much more comfortable in my opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Intercontinental Budapest

Yes

Booked cheapest and upgrade to river view(king bed with couch on 7th floor) with club access

How are the rooms?
Great view of castle and chain bridge, room are in decent condition.

How is the exec. lounge?
surprisingly good lounge(modern), good service, choice of several hot and cold items. The lounge is very modern and well done. For reference the lounge is better than the Hilton castle
Fruit basket

How was the minibar?
No hard stuff, just juices, wine and beer

location and staff are excellent

-Good
Staff was very good

-Bad
Nothing

Yes, good corp rates were available

Would you return?
yes

Last edited by shawntobi; Feb 12, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by shawntobi
Intercontinental Budapest

How is the exec. lounge?
surprisingly good service
Why is it so surprising?

Club lounge at IC Budapest is very good for renovated design, food offer and service.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Why is it so surprising?

Club lounge at IC Budapest is very good for renovated design, food offer and service.
Let me clarify, surprisingly good lounge(modern), good service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.