FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Platinum Upgrade Policy - Only on 1-2 night stays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1686126-platinum-upgrade-policy-only-1-2-night-stays.html)

hcuk94 Jun 8, 2015 8:28 am

Platinum Upgrade Policy - Only on 1-2 night stays?

Looking for a little advice.
I've stayed in a particular Holiday Inn several times before on and off, usually just for the night, and always been upgraded as a plat.

Recently, my business signed for corporate rates with them - partly at a personal push from me as in general it's a decent hotel and saves me from ending up in a Premier Inn. I have now booked the property at least for Monday-Friday every week in June, so I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time there - as are my colleagues.

When I checked in last week for my first week, I wasn't upgraded. I asked (as I always do if they haven't upgraded, sometimes it's just in error) and she told me they had no exec rooms left. Fair enough, but when I retired to my room I checked the IHG app and sure enough, exec rooms were bookable for those nights still. I didn't make a fuss as I didn't want to sour the relationship.

I checked in for my 2nd week today and, once again, no upgrade. I mentioned it again, and this time the (different) clerk told me that their elite upgrade policy was to only apply them on stays of up to 2 nights (max 3 if they're quiet) because, in her words, "otherwise we take up rooms which might otherwise be sold to people booking executive rooms". So they will not upgrade platinum members for a Monday-Friday stay. I imagine they are supposed to say what the clerk said last week, that they're full, but this time she either didn't know or thought she'd just tell me the truth.

What would you do in this situation? If I were booked in for a week and that was that, I'd probably stick with the standard room, check out on Friday and choose another hotel next time.

However, because I'm spending most of June and some of July there (including some weekends), and because we've just signed for a corporate rate there, I'm pondering whether I should get in touch with the hotel. Because I was involved in setting up the corporate rates, I do have a contact (Director of Sales) at the hotel who I could speak to. Given the 150 room nights per annum minimum we'll be bringing them this year, as well as the longer term relationship we are/were looking to form with them, I'd have thought they would honour platinum benefits.

I don't believe this is IHG policy, as I've been checked in at other Holiday Inns for 2-3 weeks solid and still been upgraded. Equally however, I'm not sure IHG have any rule against the hotels setting their own policies like this. The joys of the franchise model.

Would appreciate some thoughts - tempted to talk to them, but equally don't want to sour the relationship and not sure if I'm just being pernickety.

mitpat474 Jun 8, 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24936561)
Looking for a little advice.
I've stayed in a particular Holiday Inn several times before on and off, usually just for the night, and always been upgraded as a plat.

Recently, my business signed for corporate rates with them - partly at a personal push from me as in general it's a decent hotel and saves me from ending up in a Premier Inn. I have now booked the property at least for Monday-Friday every week in June, so I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time there - as are my colleagues.

When I checked in last week for my first week, I wasn't upgraded. I asked (as I always do if they haven't upgraded, sometimes it's just in error) and she told me they had no exec rooms left. Fair enough, but when I retired to my room I checked the IHG app and sure enough, exec rooms were bookable for those nights still. I didn't make a fuss as I didn't want to sour the relationship.

I checked in for my 2nd week today and, once again, no upgrade. I mentioned it again, and this time the (different) clerk told me that their elite upgrade policy was to only apply them on stays of up to 2 nights (max 3 if they're quiet) because, in her words, "otherwise we take up rooms which might otherwise be sold to people booking executive rooms". So they will not upgrade platinum members for a Monday-Friday stay. I imagine they are supposed to say what the clerk said last week, that they're full, but this time she either didn't know or thought she'd just tell me the truth.

What would you do in this situation? If I were booked in for a week and that was that, I'd probably stick with the standard room, check out on Friday and choose another hotel next time.

However, because I'm spending most of June and some of July there (including some weekends), and because we've just signed for a corporate rate there, I'm pondering whether I should get in touch with the hotel. Because I was involved in setting up the corporate rates, I do have a contact (Director of Sales) at the hotel who I could speak to. Given the 150 room nights per annum minimum we'll be bringing them this year, as well as the longer term relationship we are/were looking to form with them, I'd have thought they would honour platinum benefits.

I don't believe this is IHG policy, as I've been checked in at other Holiday Inns for 2-3 weeks solid and still been upgraded. Equally however, I'm not sure IHG have any rule against the hotels setting their own policies like this. The joys of the franchise model.

Would appreciate some thoughts - tempted to talk to them, but equally don't want to sour the relationship and not sure if I'm just being pernickety.

It sounds like logic to me, could you not split the reservation if that helps? into 2/3 nighters

hcuk94 Jun 8, 2015 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474 (Post 24936690)
It sounds like logic to me, could you not split the reservation if that helps? into 2/3 nighters

It makes sense from their point of view yes, I appreciate that.

However, other Holiday Inns don't do that, and given how much I'm spending with them it'd be nice if they'd honour it.

I could split the reservations and that would also work to my advantage in terms of welcome drink/points, but if I'm honest the standard rooms aren't /that/ bad that I'd go through that palaver!

chrism20 Jun 8, 2015 11:30 am

I've generally found the longer the stay the less chance of an upgrade. There are exceptions to this, I'd speak with the GM and mention that you're going to be there very regularly and see what he/she can do.

TravelTheWorld66 Jun 8, 2015 11:46 am

Sounds to me like they are making up their own rules. It says nothing about length of stay when discussing upgrades in the IHG T&C. I would definitely fight them on this if upgrades at these hotels is something you value greatly.

CalItalian Jun 8, 2015 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 24937471)
I've generally found the longer the stay the less chance of an upgrade. There are exceptions to this, I'd speak with the GM and mention that you're going to be there very regularly and see what he/she can do.

Don't agree at all. I get upgraded all the time without ever asking - paid rates and reward nights. Rarely, do I not get upgraded. Does not make a difference if it is a one night stay or a week long stay (or longer). Just depends on their occupancy projections and the way the hotel treats elites.

I'm already pre-upgraded at a Staybridge Suites I'm staying at in three weeks for over a week. One that I stay at often. At a Crowne Plaza I stay at once in a while, they've already looked at my reservations (modified) and upgraded me for one stay but not another during a busy set of dates. I can count on the Holiday Inn in Torrance to pre-upgrade me to the club floor the day of or the day before my stay everytime. Staybridge Suites in Miami upgraded three rooms I had for myself and friends/family during the same busy dates in March (I was there for a week).

chrism20 Jun 8, 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian (Post 24937978)
Don't agree at all. I get upgraded all the time without ever asking - paid rates and reward nights. Rarely, do I not get upgraded. Does not make a difference if it is a one night stay or a week long stay (or longer). Just depends on their occupancy projections and the way the hotel treats elites.

I'm already pre-upgraded at a Staybridge Suites I'm staying at in three weeks for over a week. One that I stay at often. At a Crowne Plaza I stay at once in a while, they've already looked at my reservations (modified) and upgraded me for one stay but not another during a busy set of dates. I can count on the Holiday Inn in Torrance to pre-upgrade me to the club floor the day of or the day before my stay everytime. Staybridge Suites in Miami upgraded three rooms I had for myself and friends/family during the same busy dates in March (I was there for a week).

Everyone's experience is going to be different on this one, some people are luckier with upgrades than others and there are some hotels particularly in the UK (The OP mentioned Premier Inn so I assume this is an HI in the UK) that will play hardball with upgrades. There are hotels I can spend two weeks in and am upgraded to club or exec and there are others I will only ever be upgraded on single night stays. I used to push it and would more often than not get shifted along the corridor to a corner room which they can class as an upgrade. If they aren't going to upgrade me to club or exec (Which they don't have to do) they are as well leaving me where they originally had me allocated and I'll vote with my feet.

Hopefully the changes on July 1st will bring some concrete ruling on it but I doubt it.

jedicat666 Jun 8, 2015 1:49 pm

First off, I hope you've joined the "IHG® Business Rewards", it can potentially nett you alot of points as a corporate booking decisionmaker. Feasable for your particular situation or not, you need to investigate.

Secondly, im not sure about your friends/colleagues, but room upgrades are subject to the member's room only. And If I were you I would be bugged by the inconsistency of upgrade policy they are enforcing.

You should leverage your power as a valuable client (since you bring them so much business) , by talking about your negative upgrade experiences to someone with power (E.G Director of Sales to write an official email to reservation/frontdesk staff). (etc. loved the upgrade i was getting and proposed to my company to sign corporate rates, but now unhappy that not getting upgrade as plat at least for my own rooms)

Lastly, i've made it a habit to ALWAYS check my app for the next category and next next category room (from the one that i booked) before checking in anywhere. This has been my saving grace a couple of times, for example when i called out the frontdesk staff when she said that all suites were full for the Crowne Plaza Singapore, showed her the app that suites were available. And suddenly she said that a suite is free :)

TravelTheWorld66 Jun 8, 2015 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jedicat666 (Post 24938314)
Lastly, i've made it a habit to ALWAYS check my app for the next category and next next category room (from the one that i booked) before checking in anywhere. This has been my saving grace a couple of times, for example when i called out the frontdesk staff when she said that all suites were full for the Crowne Plaza Singapore, showed her the app that suites were available. And suddenly she said that a suite is free :)

This is always a good practice, as long as it's done politely. I think front desk laziness is to blame. A lot of times they have the keys already made up, and they don't want to take the time to redo them. But I don't see anything wrong with saying "Excuse me, I see that this room is available. Would this be a possibility for an upgrade?". That's at least how I usually approach it.

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 9, 2015 4:25 am

The reason you did not get upgrade could be due to one of the following reasons:

1>, Your expense in the hotel is billed to your company rather than yourself
2>, Your rate is now a deep discounted corporate rate that upgrade may be excluded from such rate
or/and
3>, You are treated as a long stay guest and in many cases upgrade is excluded from such circumstances

A good hotel will try their best to please you in other forms. For example, you may receive odd fruit platter or drinks from the management once your stay is totalled exceeding certain number of nights. But do not expect upgrade. The policy on upgrade is not on how many night you stay, but on what rate you stay. If you are locked into one of the LOCALLY NEGOTIATED rate, IHG benefits will not apply in some cases.

hcuk94 Jun 9, 2015 4:46 am

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 (Post 24937567)
Sounds to me like they are making up their own rules. It says nothing about length of stay when discussing upgrades in the IHG T&C. I would definitely fight them on this if upgrades at these hotels is something you value greatly.

I didn't think so. It's not something I *really* value, the standard rooms are fine, but it would be nice.

Originally Posted by CalItalian (Post 24937978)

It can vary, but for the most part I get pretty lucky with IHG upgrades. I also use Club Carlson who are fairly useless at upgrading in comparison.

Originally Posted by jedicat666 (Post 24938314)
First off, I hope you've joined the "IHG® Business Rewards", it can potentially nett you alot of points as a corporate booking decisionmaker. Feasable for your particular situation or not, you need to investigate.

You should leverage your power as a valuable client (since you bring them so much business) , by talking about your negative upgrade experiences to someone with power (E.G Director of Sales to write an official email to reservation/frontdesk staff). (etc. loved the upgrade i was getting and proposed to my company to sign corporate rates, but now unhappy that not getting upgrade as plat at least for my own rooms)

I did look at Business Rewards, but it involves booking direct with IHG over the phone, and our business use a travel agent which I can't change. I'm not actually a decision maker on corporate travel per se, but I am one of the company's top travellers so have some sway on what we do.

I like your example of how to approach - I don't want to appear like I'm complaining, but equally I want them to see that we're bringing them business, not them doing me a favour - I think your approach is a reasonable middle ground for this.

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 (Post 24938503)
This is always a good practice, as long as it's done politely. I think front desk laziness is to blame. A lot of times they have the keys already made up, and they don't want to take the time to redo them. But I don't see anything wrong with saying "Excuse me, I see that this room is available. Would this be a possibility for an upgrade?". That's at least how I usually approach it.

Good point. Usually if you check the reservation online on the day, after allocation at about 2pm, you can see what they've given you. But yes, that's a good idea.

Thanks for your help all. I think I'll drop the Director of Sales an email (polite and inquisitive, not complaining) and see what she says. Will report back.

hcuk94 Jun 9, 2015 4:49 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 24941258)
The reason you did not get upgrade could be due to one of the following reasons:

1>, Your expense in the hotel is billed to your company rather than yourself
2>, Your rate is now a deep discounted corporate rate that upgrade may be excluded from such rate
or/and
3>, You are treated as a long stay guest and in many cases upgrade is excluded from such circumstances

A good hotel will try their best to please you in other forms. For example, you may receive odd fruit platter or drinks from the management once your stay is totalled exceeding certain number of nights. But do not expect upgrade. The policy on upgrade is not on how many night you stay, but on what rate you stay. If you are locked into one of the LOCALLY NEGOTIATED rate, IHG benefits will not apply in some cases.

I'd be inclined to disagree on the rates. We have corporate rates at other IHG properties and I get upgraded just fine - and I don't see how billing to the company makes any difference. I am still the guest, and IHG Rewards Club is a guest programme. Much like flying with an airline on business doesn't prevent you getting your miles and tiers. These programmes are designed for the individual traveller, as they usually have some sway on where they stay for business, and even if they don't they will more likely pick say IHG for their personal stays if they get benefits from their work stays.

jedicat666 Jun 9, 2015 6:03 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24941310)
Thanks for your help all. I think I'll drop the Director of Sales an email (polite and inquisitive, not complaining) and see what she says. Will report back.

Yes that would be best, let us know of your progress !

chrism20 Jun 9, 2015 6:23 am

Rates will come into it somewhere I'm sure, including what you spend whilst there.

Take the following example.

The hotel GM says to the FD Manager you can upgrade as many as you want but you must leave at least four premium rooms available for paying guests every night - which isn't unreasonable IMO as there has to be some available for people who want to pay for these rooms.

So it gets to Tuesday and the FD Manager has one room left to play with for free upgrades. They look at the manifest for the evening and they see that Bill & Ben are both checking in - both for two nights and both on corporate rates but for different companies.

Bill has 20 nights at this hotel so far this year, never buys breakfast, has only eaten in the hotel once.

Ben has 20 nights at this hotel so far this year, always pays for breakfast and more often than not dines in the restaurant and if not its room service.

Now based on that if I was the FDM Ben has the upgrade and Bill can keep an eye on the bins for the evening.

Most hotels run a secondary system tracking stuff like this and can tell you the net worth of a guest down to the last dime.

It may just simply be case that even though there were superior rooms available higher yielding guests have been in residence and they take priority.

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 9, 2015 8:13 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24941318)
I'd be inclined to disagree on the rates. We have corporate rates at other IHG properties and I get upgraded just fine - and I don't see how billing to the company makes any difference. I am still the guest, and IHG Rewards Club is a guest programme. Much like flying with an airline on business doesn't prevent you getting your miles and tiers. These programmes are designed for the individual traveller, as they usually have some sway on where they stay for business, and even if they don't they will more likely pick say IHG for their personal stays if they get benefits from their work stays.

Billing to company makes a HUGE difference. Direct billing to the company will classify you as a LOCAL GUEST rather than IHG GUESTS. Thus no IHG benefits in most cases.

LOCAL contract is subject to local hotel treatment.

If you want to be upgraded every single time, ask your company to change billing practise. Direct billing do have big affect your status, if you fail to understand what I am trying to tell you, do ask your corporate travel advisor. If you failed to understand why the system is set this way, I can not help you any further.