Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George Master Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:42 am

Darn, I have to make my stay in 3 weeks and need to pull a decision fast

Thanks for your thoughts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
here or Hilton/SPG/Marriott/Hyatt for 3 nights

I have enough pts to stay here for 3 nights next year. I also have Hilton, Hyatt, SPG & Marriott pts. Would any of these be better than the Indigo? My main concern is location and not luxury. Will be doing the normal tourist activities. We're easy to please.
TIA.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Indigo is the best located hotel of anything we can redeem at.

Hilton and Europe (in general) are kind of a joke.

Hyatt has nothing here.

SPG's and Marriott properties are too far away in my opinion. I stayed at the Intercontinental on Via Sistina before - and felt that was on the edge of where most people want to be.

Via Veneto is nice and all - but I don't want to go "all the way up there" for my hotel.

Marriott's exception is the Boscola Exedra located right by a subway stop. If there is a negative to the Hotel Indigo - its that you are in the middle of no where for subway stops. The Intercontinental and the boscola exedra are right by subway stops. In theory - with the Indigo's location - you shouldn't ever need a subway - because everything is walking distance.

I will be at both the IC and Indigo this upcoming September to review.

Originally Posted by philemer
I have enough pts to stay here for 3 nights next year. I also have Hilton, Hyatt, SPG & Marriott pts. Would any of these be better than the Indigo? My main concern is location and not luxury. Will be doing the normal tourist activities. We're easy to please.
TIA.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by factory81
Indigo is the best located hotel of anything we can redeem at.

Hilton and Europe (in general) are kind of a joke.

Hyatt has nothing here.

SPG's and Marriott properties are too far away in my opinion. I stayed at the Intercontinental on Via Sistina before - and felt that was on the edge of where most people want to be.

Via Veneto is nice and all - but I don't want to go "all the way up there" for my hotel.

Marriott's exception is the Boscola Exedra located right by a subway stop. If there is a negative to the Hotel Indigo - its that you are in the middle of no where for subway stops. The Intercontinental and the boscola exedra are right by subway stops. In theory - with the Indigo's location - you shouldn't ever need a subway - because everything is walking distance.

I will be at both the IC and Indigo this upcoming September to review.
Thanks for the feedback. We will probably be taking semi-private 'tours' so won't need subways much. I agree with Indigo location being the best of the chain hotels.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Posting from the Indigo now. As a IHG platinum with 50-60+ stays a year, I love the hotel.

Positives:
- way more modern than the Intercontinental. Despite having room 626, a upgraded terrace suite at the IC - my girlfriend and I like the Indigo's modern decor and updated furnishings.

- free WiFi for five devices as platinum

- location really is second to none

- plats get drink voucher at welcome if you decline the points. I got two (exception) - one for me and my girlfriend

- pillows at IC are flimsy and the Hotel Indigo has nicer pillows

- bathroom towels are softer at the Indigo

- I had a chilled bottle of white wine and a tray of sweets waiting in the room

I really appreciate these small gestures - no room upgrade was available. But the wine and treats in addition to two drink vouchers make the experience really positive. In addition to the once again - really updated hotel.

The IC is going to be a tough sell for me in Rome from here on out. Great hotel, but I bet only royal ambassadors will be inclined to stay there.

I will make pictures available upon request.

Great job IHG. This is a phenomenal property - and your treatment of platinums makes me reconsider if I shouldn't stay at IHG more.

Anyone have any stays here? Comparing the IC to this new hotel. This hotel looks a bit more modern and wondering if anyone can speak about the hotel.

Last edited by factory81; Sep 6, 2015 at 12:28 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:28 pm

Posting from the Indigo now. As a IHG platinum with 50-60+ stays a year, I love the hotel.

Positives:
- way more modern than the Intercontinental. Despite having room 626, a upgraded terrace suite at the IC - my girlfriend and I like the Indigo's modern decor and updated furnishings.

- free WiFi for five devices as platinum

- location really is second to none

- plats get drink voucher at welcome if you decline the points. I got two (exception) - one for me and my girlfriend

- pillows at IC are flimsy and the Hotel Indigo has nicer pillows

- bathroom towels are softer at the Indigo

- I had a chilled bottle of white wine and a tray of sweets waiting in the room

I really appreciate these small gestures - no room upgrade was available. But the wine and treats in addition to two drink vouchers make the experience really positive. In addition to the once again - really updated hotel.

The IC is going to be a tough sell for me in Rome from here on out. Great hotel, but I bet only royal ambassadors will be inclined to stay there.

I will make pictures available upon request.

Great job IHG. This is a phenomenal property - and your treatment of platinums makes me reconsider if I shouldn't stay at IHG more.
I would love to see some pictures. In August 2016, My wife and i are staying in Rome in after our cruise for 2 nights. This is our first European trip and have been very interested in the Indigo. We have enough points for either IC or Indigo.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Why is Indigo Rome location so good?

I was hoping to stay at IC Rome using points/free night in late summer 2016 on family trip w/ kids. Of all the things my exact dates are sold out/ blacked out for cash and/or points at the IC Rome as of right now so I am planning to stay at the Indigo St. George instead.

I keep reading the Indigo location is really good but looking at the map I can't figure out why you guys like the location so much. I can see that you can walk around within 30 minutes and get to some ancient Rome sights. However, what is the best way to get to a subway station if you need it, is there a bus or just cab it?

I haven't been to Rome in 20+ years and back then my budget would only spare one of those small 2* hotels near Termini so I am not that up on my Rome geography but I do recall taking the subway a bit on that trip.

On this upcoming trip, I am planning to do a couple of semi-private tours so getting to a subway may be a non-issue. It looks like you can walk over to the Vatican. What about getting to the Colloesso area?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
On this upcoming trip, I am planning to do a couple of semi-private tours so getting to a subway may be a non-issue. It looks like you can walk over to the Vatican. What about getting to the Colloesso area?
I walk almost everywhere from the St George: Castel Sant'Angelo 5 minutes, Vatican Museum is 12 minutes away, Trevi 20 minutes, Spagna 25 minutes. And of course, en route there is plenty to see.

The Colosseum etc I go to by taxi, sod the Roman public transport! Front desk gets you a cab, metered for a low price (never, ever, accept the "special price" Italian taxis want to flog you). It's really the small change of travelling.

But location is also the neighbourhood itself, the proximity to Trastevere for a nice meal in the evening, the nice wine bar just around the corner, etc.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:02 am

I prefer the Indigo St George's neighborhood because it's in the middle of an area that's as much residential as it is commercial. As a tourist, that means that shops and restaurants -- the whole environment, actually -- is a whole lot more appealing than, say, the Spanish Steps area.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I keep reading the Indigo location is really good but looking at the map I can't figure out why you guys like the location so much. I can see that you can walk around within 30 minutes and get to some ancient Rome sights.
Indigo is located in a lovely historical district, full of little shops with lot of charm.
The district is lively but quiet, as streets are narrow and mostly for pedestrians only.
The hotel is 5 minutes walk from Relais & Châteaux Il Pagliaccio Michelin Star restaurant.

I have not stayed yet at Indigo (as RA, I love my suite with view at De La Ville).
I had a look inside the hotel, and was not very enthousiastic about the design: neither contemporary design (kind of cheap soulless corporate design with no charm) neither historical.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
No reward nights availabilty shown all year 2016?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Some pictures of the property.

http://imgur.com/a/yITYr
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:08 pm

Thanks for the great photos!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Currently staying at this hotel
Was upgraded to a king room on the last floor with terrace (after discussion, despite the hotel is far from fully booked, and the pre-paid price is now the same as flexible one).

Great location.
But not exactly impressed by the hotel: very poor interior design (boutique hotel does not mean small but inventive design), small rooms.

Top floor terrace and spa ate pleasant.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, EH Gold, AZ FAP, SPG, IHG
The IC, where we have stayed for the last 15 years, is unfortunately closing for good this month. We therefore checked out the Indigo for our next stay:
- location is fairly central although we prefer the trevi/pantheon end of the centro storico to the
- the staff is great
- I would suggest you book the superior room category as the standard one is very small
- Most superior rooms have a balcony and a shower, which is not a given in Rome, even at the IC
- The roof terrace and the courtyard garden are amazing.
- For IHG plats, do not expect an upgrade during easter and summer months as the hotel is usually booked up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.