Combining RA and non-RA reservations

Old Sep 27, 14, 12:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OAK
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Posts: 3,749
Combining RA and non-RA reservations

My wife has a bunch of IHG points, which we rarely get chance to use, because we mostly stay in ICs, and of course we want the RA bennies from booking using my account.

However, it occurred to me to wonder about booking (say) a BOGO weekend on my account followed by a few days on points using her points (or free night), and asking the hotel to combine the reservations, either ahead of time or at checkin. I've done that many times using MY points, but I wondered if anybody has tried combining stays booked by an RA with one from a non-RA ?

If so, were you able to get full RA bennies for the whole stay ?
dgwright99 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 14, 1:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,072
Originally Posted by dgwright99 View Post
My wife has a bunch of IHG points, which we rarely get chance to use, because we mostly stay in ICs, and of course we want the RA bennies from booking using my account.

However, it occurred to me to wonder about booking (say) a BOGO weekend on my account followed by a few days on points using her points (or free night), and asking the hotel to combine the reservations, either ahead of time or at checkin. I've done that many times using MY points, but I wondered if anybody has tried combining stays booked by an RA with one from a non-RA ?

If so, were you able to get full RA bennies for the whole stay ?
Well apart from the IHG t+c's saying award nights don't qualify for RA bennies...................
the hotel should treat your second adjoining booking to include your RA status. Put your name on second bookings using Additional Guest field and include your IHG number and that you are RA and first bookings ref number.

All hotels scan ahead 3-7days of for split bookings and usually merge them , but as reserved under different IHG account numbers it is worth stating in the booking additional info field and it won't do any harm to email the hotel reservations too.

I have had others (lend) a points awards booking to me where I am just the named additional guest, and on checkin been given my Elite RA bennies that that IC gives on awards nights (different from on paid night bennies though) and hotel also transferred booking into my IHG number so showed up in my stayed award nights count.

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 27, 14 at 1:24 pm
scubaccr is offline  
Old Sep 27, 14, 3:01 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OAK
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Posts: 3,749
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
Well apart from the IHG t+c's saying award nights don't qualify for RA bennies....................
Many ICs offer full RA bennies on award stays, as documented here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-stays-17.html

In addition, I have found that many others that will give RAs a great UG for the whole stay when mixing paid (eg BOGO) and award nights.

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
All hotels scan ahead 3-7days of for split bookings and usually merge them , but as reserved under different IHG account numbers it is worth stating in the booking additional info field and it won't do any harm to email the hotel reservations too.
I have found that although this does happen sometimes, my experience is that it is unusual for split stays with different payment methods (eg points and paid, BOGO and points, BOGO and paid) to be merged without asking first.

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
I have had others (lend) a points awards booking to me where I am just the named additional guest, and on checkin been given my Elite RA bennies that that IC gives on awards nights (different from on paid night bennies though) and hotel also transferred booking into my IHG number so showed up in my stayed award nights count.
Very helpful, thanks.
dgwright99 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 14, 8:56 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Posts: 1,830
It depends on the hotel,
There are some that will honor full RA benefits so long as the RA member is staying

IC Berlin for example is as such.

IC Westminster denied me of all benefits. No minibar no upgrade, when it was booked under my father's account.
lsed is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: