Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
They won't usually close an account because of the promos, they will close it because that account is not profitable. From my frequent dealings with IHG I am fairly certain that a certain threshold of unprofitably is what triggers the audit.

I have stayed for months at a time on pointbreaks rate, have always registered for all promo codes under the sun and frequently use the points+cash trick to get more points but have never been reprimanded for doing so and have even been offered a points loan once to make an award booking. I do stay a LOT of nights every year in IHG hotels so my account is definitely profitable and I suspect that is why they let me get away with so much.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by valdor
They won't usually close an account because of the promos, they will close it because that account is not profitable. From my frequent dealings with IHG I am fairly certain that a certain threshold of unprofitably is what triggers the audit.

I have stayed for months at a time on pointbreaks rate, have always registered for all promo codes under the sun and frequently use the points+cash trick to get more points but have never been reprimanded for doing so and have even been offered a points loan once to make an award booking. I do stay a LOT of nights every year in IHG hotels so my account is definitely profitable and I suspect that is why they let me get away with so much.
Yeah I pretty much agree with what you've written. These threads pop up every month or so and one of the most common themes is high points and low stays and I'd be very surprised if the high points have been accrued by one or two high spending stays which will no doubt cause alarm bells to ring.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Do you have any direct evidence of this? If true, this makes their "audit" approach far worse than simply using a minor "fraud" (such as the OPs) as grounds to close the account and seize points.

I guess this is related to the BRG "abuse" that has apparently gotten some people's accounts closed, which, in my opinion, is less morally defensible than closing an account for violating the a targeted promotion, since (not to re-open that whole debate) it seems like the BRG abuser was complying fully with the T&C of that program.

I would go further and opine that if ICHG wants to fire a simply unprofitable customer, then the only ethical way to do so would be to say, "look, you have taken advantage of us too much and we don't want to do business with you anymore -- enjoy the points you've earned, but you are not welcome to benefit from Priority Club further in the future." Kind of like how when they catch you counting cards in Vegas, they say, congratulations, take your winnings out of here and don't return.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It isn't because to get the coffee, it is necesary to have a code . If the code has not been given to the person by someone authorised to give him the code, then there is no reasonable expectation of being entitled to use it

Considering that the promo page requests an answer to the question where one read about the promo and allows the answer "on the internet" or "in a blog" or so, this is hard to believe.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:14 am

I would be curious to know if any of the accounts that have been terminated are holders of the IHG Chase credit card. What would happen if IHG terminated the account of a card holder? Would IHG then inform Chase and somehow have the credit card terminated as well? It would seem to me that would be difficult for IHG to pull off especially considering their relationship with Chase is presumable profitable.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which brings us to this point:

Every time I see a thread started here about "my account was terminated", it seems to be from a poster who has no history on FlyerTalk (ie, they're using an account opened to start that thread!), let alone any history of posts in the IHG forum on FlyerTalk.

So what exactly is "unprofitablity" in IHG's eyes? For example, I never had a paid IHG stay between Crack the Case and the Big Win (of fall 2013). I had a big points balance from Crack the Case (and other stuff previous to that), and so I occasionally used poitns for stays (some, but far from all, PointsBreaks). During Crack the Case and the Big Win, I had exactly the number of stays needed to fulfill all tasks, nothing more. Also, I hold the Chase IHG card, and so of course was also using my annual free night certificate (but at "normally-priced" properties, not at super-expensive ones). Am I "unprofitable" enough, or does it take much more than this to be deemed "unprofitable" by IHG?

Since IHG puts out a credit card (in the USA) which earns a free night certificate every renewal year (for just $49), I suspect there are people who simply stay at IHG once a year, using that certificate, and might not stay at IHG at all some years. Is that "unprofitable" enough, or is it simply "low usage" (which is different than "unprofitable")? Or does it depend on where they use that certificate?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which brings us to this point:

Every time I see a thread started here about "my account was terminated", it seems to be from a poster who has no history on FlyerTalk (ie, they're using an account opened to start that thread!), let alone any history of posts in the IHG forum on FlyerTalk.

So what exactly is "unprofitablity" in IHG's eyes? For example, I never had a paid IHG stay between Crack the Case and the Big Win (of fall 2013). I had a big points balance from Crack the Case (and other stuff previous to that), and so I occasionally used poitns for stays (some, but far from all, PointsBreaks). During Crack the Case and the Big Win, I had exactly the number of stays needed to fulfill all tasks, nothing more. Also, I hold the Chase IHG card, and so of course was also using my annual free night certificate (but at "normally-priced" properties, not at super-expensive ones). Am I "unprofitable" enough, or does it take much more than this to be deemed "unprofitable" by IHG?

Since IHG puts out a credit card (in the USA) which earns a free night certificate every renewal year (for just $49), I suspect there are people who simply stay at IHG once a year, using that certificate, and might not stay at IHG at all some years. Is that "unprofitable" enough, or is it simply "low usage" (which is different than "unprofitable")? Or does it depend on where they use that certificate?
It seems that people with credit cards had their accounts terminated:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22973508-post45.html

Also, as a counter example to your argument, two of the people who posted about their accounts being terminated in this thread have had >1,000 posts on FT. But yes, you are right - they only had maybe one or two stays.

It's a bit worrying, at the least.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
sdsearch ++++
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not believe for a moment in "unprofitable" theory. PC spends lots of marketing $ to get people to stay and then call them unprofitable after one stay like OP? This is complete and utter nonsense.

I remain convinced that there is more to those account closure stories than posters disclose or perhaps some posts are there to deliberately mislead everyone (as we encountered in many blog-fueled manufacturing spend, credit card bonus etc discussions).
Perhaps there are some closed in error - who knows.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: All of the Above
My father, who did not have an IHG account, recently signed up for an account (last couple weeks). He added the public promos to his account, and was planning on booking stays over the summer. It appears that his account is already closed and he can't log in. How do they know that a person will be unprofitable, before the fact? He stays in hotels an average of 3-4 weeks during the summer months (mostly Hyatt/SPG), but won't be staying in any IHG properties after this.

Last edited by DavidAL; Jun 4, 2014 at 8:54 pm Reason: grammer, sorry
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidAL
My father, who did not have an IHG account, recently signed up for and account (last couple weeks). He added the public promos to his account, and was planning on booking stays over the summer. It appears that his account is already closed and he can't log in. How do they know that a person will be unprofitable, before the fact? He stays in hotels an average of 3-4 weeks during the summer months (mostly Hyatt/SPG), but won't be staying in any IHG properties after this.
These IHG people are beyond retarded. To not have a conversation about this "terrible misdeed" and to just unilaterally terminate accounts is a completely asinine approach to customer service. They are well within the rights they layer out in their t&c but it's beyond retarded to enforce them so strictly for such minor first time infractions and no warnings. (...) They are awful and should be shamed publicly for their mistreatment of people. I click on anything that may cost them money for advertising and I am now at over 200 free brg nights for my extended family. I look forward to the day that they are wiped off the face of the earth.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:15 am Reason: edited inappropriate suggestion out of post
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DavidAL
He added the public promos to his account
What public promos? Does IHG publish a list of these or is he culling them from a blog somewhere?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
What public promos? Does IHG publish a list of these or is he culling them from a blog somewhere?
When I say "public promos", I mean codes that are listed on varies sites on the net, not directly from IHG.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This is 2014. Consumers share info on the internet, and have for well over a decade. You cannot rely on stealth to keep a promo targeted. Almost every other company has figured this out by now. Most companies keep targeted promos tied to specific accounts; others cannot register, or even if they can, the bonus doesn't get awarded. Coupon codes not intended for mass consumption are sent as single-use codes. This isn't rocket science. It's marketing 101 in the 21st century web world.

IHG has not only failed to make the IT investment to keep their promos targeted, but hasn't even bothered to put a few words of warning text on the registration page to let customers know that registering for a promo may be considered a violation. And when they do the data mining to find the violators, rather than just rescind the points, or issue a warning, they close the account and forfeit the entire points balance? I'm sorry, but that's inexcusable.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:59 pm

And as for those upthread that considered this "fraud", if you've ever used the site retailmenot, it's the same thing. I may have not received the email with the "coupon code", but it's listed publicly there, and can be used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.