More room type choices with Reward Nights?

Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Le Club All Plat, Accor Plus, BW Dia, Millennium Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
More room type choices with Reward Nights?

The IHG Rewards Program seems rather rigid where Reward Nights reservations apply to standard rooms only. As frequent travellers, I believe many of us would wish to indulge in a little more luxury occasionally rather than putting up in a regular standard room.

Are there any ways to get around this issue? My objective would be to burn points on maybe a junior suite rather than a superior room. Seems like there is no option to even top up with cash for a better room.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only be discussing with the hotel in question on whether it is prepared to allow you to pay extra for a better room or suite
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:16 pm

I dunno if I wanna give them ideas about raising cost to redeem. I agree with your statement that it'd be nice to book suites or premium rooms but I'm scared what is past that door that's to be opened.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I've done it a few times by doing what Dave Noble suggested. Just call the hotel in question and ask to speak to the General Manager.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I've done it a few times by doing what Dave Noble suggested. Just call the hotel in question and ask to speak to the General Manager.

Had one IC on mixed paid/award that for RAs, on paid nights, upgrades to suite+club, and for award nights instead gives you originally booked room BUT with club lounge. They then try room upgrade upsell to you.

The IC got that offer correct for me, as if award was room upgrade, no club, i would not have paid for upsell club, unlike upsell to a suite.

In fact I almost cancelled award (in hindsight I should have) to rebook at checkin as paid basic room, as offered upsell/night was 60% of cost of paid night so in effect I wasted my points by in effect paying points + $'s making my points to $'s saved ratio really crap.

SO ... As RA, I would maybe say, using points + paid upsell is not worth it as changes redemption points/$ ratio to too poor a value, unless high starting basic room point like London-PL, Paris-LG or Amsterdam-Amstel when basic room is us$600 upwards unlike Asia or USA minor cities where entry level IC room is in area of $100.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
I made a booking last night were all room types were available to be booked for the standard number of points (20K)

So we booked a "1 Bed Executive Suite" rather than a "Standard Double"
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Le Club All Plat, Accor Plus, BW Dia, Millennium Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Had one IC on mixed paid/award that for RAs, on paid nights, upgrades to suite+club, and for award nights instead gives you originally booked room BUT with club lounge. They then try room upgrade upsell to you.

The IC got that offer correct for me, as if award was room upgrade, no club, i would not have paid for upsell club, unlike upsell to a suite.

In fact I almost cancelled award (in hindsight I should have) to rebook at checkin as paid basic room, as offered upsell/night was 60% of cost of paid night so in effect I wasted my points by in effect paying points + $'s making my points to $'s saved ratio really crap.

SO ... As RA, I would maybe say, using points + paid upsell is not worth it as changes redemption points/$ ratio to too poor a value, unless high starting basic room point like London-PL, Paris-LG or Amsterdam-Amstel when basic room is us$600 upwards unlike Asia or USA minor cities where entry level IC room is in area of $100.
Exactly a similar scenario I am facing right now with IC HK. Contacted the Managing Director but my case was tasked to the Resident Manager, and he totally rendered my points (45,000) worthless. The upsell top-up cost is almost equal to the Family and Friends rate! So I suppose we'll have to live with the situation now and only use your points on the specified (usually basic) room or wait for a revamp of the rewards programme.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:05 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I'll admit I haven't tried it at an IC. The last time I did it was last year at the Ft. Walton Beach HI Resort. We worked out a deal where I used points for a standard room + $100/night and I was able to spend a few nights in the 2-bedroom Penthouse suite. I don't know what the normal charge is for that room, but I figured $100 was definitely less than what a 2nd room there would have cost plus I got the kitchen, living room and 2 balconies.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I hope they do not change the way award nights are redeemed. I get upgraded 80%+ on award nights and I am sure that this percentage would decrease if the hotel could charge more for premium rooms.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by db1234db1234
I dunno if I wanna give them ideas about raising cost to redeem. I agree with your statement that it'd be nice to book suites or premium rooms but I'm scared what is past that door that's to be opened.
I can't agree more with your statement. While the idea is great and if well executed would be nice, just look at what has happened at Hilton with their ridiculous premium room rewards. Once the MBAs in the company get a hold of the charts all hell breaks loose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.