FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1563178-holiday-inn-glasgow-theatreland-master-thread.html)

hcuk94 Mar 25, 14 4:21 am

Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland [Master Thread]
 
Been staying here quite a few weeks recently, and have quite a few more to come. A somewhat sporadic Holiday Inn which, although nice, isn't standard HI offering.

Firstly the rooms aren't in any recognisable IHG format/design, and are instead given a 'Mediterranean' look. The restaurant is by no means a Holiday Inn Restaurant, instead it is branded 'La Bonne Auberge' and is a public, AA rosette restaurant. I've also not had the best of platinum welcomes there - they've given me everything they need to (drink/points, wifi, upgrade) so I can't fault the offering, but they don't make a big deal out of it and welcome you as a platinum member which could do with improving. Having said that, when my room safe went into service mode and they had to angle grind it open last time, they were reasonably generous in giving me 5000 points and a complimentary 2 course meal at the restaurant.

As far as the rooms, hotel, restaurant etc is concerned, it's all quite nice for a Holiday Inn, and particularly the food which is very good, and at a good price too.


One thing that is puzzling me slightly is the room types. I'm usually booked into a standard double and upgraded to an exec - fine. However going above that, IHG website seems to have just one further room type, a 'feature room'. I know for a fact the hotel also has 'Penthouse Suites' which aren't in the lifts, and are only accessible by a staircase. However they don't seem to list them for sale, and I've certainly not been upgraded to one. I've seen a few mentions of them in some TA reviews, but yet there are no photos of them on TA, or even on the IHG website. Has anyone stayed here and might know about these? :confused:
EDIT: The penthouse suites are now back online, allbeit with no photos. Looks like they were doing a minor refresh of them or something as the floor was closed. No photos of them online though..

Would appreciate any advice on that as well as general discussion/experiences/tips for this hotel.

chrism20 Mar 28, 14 4:34 am

It is a very intriguing property. This should give you a little insight into the hotel and its owner.

http://www.bq-magazine.co.uk/entrepr...aurice-taylor/

hcuk94 Apr 1, 14 4:39 am


Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 22603241)
It is a very intriguing property. This should give you a little insight into the hotel and its owner.

http://www.bq-magazine.co.uk/entrepr...aurice-taylor/

Wow.. that's a pretty cool read. I know his company has since been bought by Interstate Hotels, but even so, fascinating to read about it all. I'm back again this week.. all things considered not a bad little hotel, and the restaurant food is great for the price.

I've seen some mention of (at one point) there being more than one branch of 'La Bonne Auberge'- any further info on that?

Cheers

nivsy Apr 1, 14 4:54 am

La Bonne Auberge in Glasgow is wonderful on the occassions I have been there. With so many eating places in easy walking distance the choice is large. Bookings at weekend are often required though at the Bonne Auberge.

Well done in getting the complimentary 2 course meal - nice!:p

chrism20 Apr 1, 14 5:27 pm


Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 22627151)
Wow.. that's a pretty cool read. I know his company has since been bought by Interstate Hotels, but even so, fascinating to read about it all. I'm back again this week.. all things considered not a bad little hotel, and the restaurant food is great for the price.

I've seen some mention of (at one point) there being more than one branch of 'La Bonne Auberge'- any further info on that?

Cheers

There were La Bonne Auberge at HI East Kilbride and at the Quality at Edinburgh Airport. The East Kilbride one went when Chardon stopped managing East Kilbride and HI Brighton Seafront (same owners). The Quality has just recently became an HIEX and has also gone. From the Tripadvisor reviews for the airport La Bonne Auberge is definitely missed.

On a different topic EDI must be the most under served airport for hotels in the UK. Chardon had permission to build another hotel next to the current airport one but nothing has happened with it yet, although this is not unusual especially in Edinburgh, one only has to look at the tram system to understand that one. I am assuming if it is built it will also be managed by Interstate and will be an IHG property. Not sure which brand though as there is a HI nearby at the zoo already.

hcuk94 Apr 5, 14 1:44 pm


Originally Posted by nivsy (Post 22627190)
La Bonne Auberge in Glasgow is wonderful on the occassions I have been there. With so many eating places in easy walking distance the choice is large. Bookings at weekend are often required though at the Bonne Auberge.

Well done in getting the complimentary 2 course meal - nice!:p

It is indeed nice, I've enjoyed a good few meals whilst staying up there, and about to check in for 11 nights so I'm sure there'll be some more :)

hcuk94 Apr 5, 14 1:46 pm


Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 22631762)
There were La Bonne Auberge at HI East Kilbride and at the Quality at Edinburgh Airport. The East Kilbride one went when Chardon stopped managing East Kilbride and HI Brighton Seafront (same owners). The Quality has just recently became an HIEX and has also gone. From the Tripadvisor reviews for the airport La Bonne Auberge is definitely missed.

On a different topic EDI must be the most under served airport for hotels in the UK. Chardon had permission to build another hotel next to the current airport one but nothing has happened with it yet, although this is not unusual especially in Edinburgh, one only has to look at the tram system to understand that one. I am assuming if it is built it will also be managed by Interstate and will be an IHG property. Not sure which brand though as there is a HI nearby at the zoo already.

I looked at the East Kilbride one.. very odd place, bizarre rooms. Interesting on EDI airport. Maybe a CP.

So are there any other branches of LBA left?

chrism20 Apr 8, 14 4:03 pm


Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 22654729)
I looked at the East Kilbride one.. very odd place, bizarre rooms. Interesting on EDI airport. Maybe a CP.

So are there any other branches of LBA left?

I don't think so which is a shame as the quality and standards are very, very good.

East Kilbride is a bizarre hotel. From what I recall they gave up managing it due to a lack of investment being forthcoming. It is an old Hilton (And possibly even something else before that). I last visited it about eighteen months just after it had changed management companies and it was in serious need of refurbishment in some areas, although I'm sure I read somewhere recently that it was being done, probably due to the Commonwealth Games as they will benefit from that - I checked HIEX Hamilton (about 6 miles from East Kilbride) a few weeks back for a random date at the end of July and they wanted 542 for one night! It has come down to 259 now though but even at that it's extreme.

A lot of rooms have been been added or will be added in Glasgow over the year it will be interesting to see what happens with the overall rates after the games bounce wears off.

There was supposed to be a new HI opening near Glasgow Green but I haven't heard anything since the original IHG press release.

Edit: East Kilbride was purchased by the new management company hence the refurb

http://www.ampmhotels.com/news/files...etterJan14.pdf

jphripjah Aug 26, 15 2:19 am

What are the pros/cons of staying here vs. at the nearby Holiday Inn Express Theatreland?

Also, where would I have the best chance of getting an early check in? My flight arrives at Glasgow airport at 7:30 a.m.

hcuk94 Aug 26, 15 3:27 am


Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 25329174)
What are the pros/cons of staying here vs. at the nearby Holiday Inn Express Theatreland?

Also, where would I have the best chance of getting an early check in? My flight arrives at Glasgow airport at 7:30 a.m.

The Holiday Inn and the Holiday Inn Express Theatreland are next door to each other, owned and managed by the same people.

The differences are really your usual HI/HIX differences. The HI is more a full service hotel with full breakfast, restaurant and plenty of amenities/services. The HIX rooms are a lot more basic and akin to a Premier Inn style offering. The HI rooms have ironing facilities, baths, nice toiletries, large TVs, room service, etc etc. One thing that is very much worth noting is that the Holiday Inn Express does NOT have air conditioning, whilst the Holiday Inn does.

Not sure how important food is to you, but I'd say that's a big plus of the Holiday Inn. The breakfast offering at the HIX is very basic and you'll probably want to go out for dinner. The Holiday Inn has a wide selection of breakfast items, and in the evening the French Brasserie built into the hotel is actually a very nice restaurant.

The staff are very nice in both hotels - ultimately the difference is whether you want to pay the extra for the amenities of the full Holiday Inn or stick with the more basic Express - which in turn probably depends how much time you're planning to spend at the hotel.

I stay in Glasgow for work and we always use the Holiday Inn, Hotel Indigo or Radisson Blu (we have corporate rates) as the rooms at all three are nice enough to spend time at the hotel, working or otherwise. People need somewhere to relax after a day at work. You might find though that you're out all day and out in the evening, in which case it's probably not worth paying for the full HI.

As for the early check in, I don't know how lucky you'll be with that - I suppose it depends how busy they were the night before. I have turned up at 12-1pm before and thankfully they've had a room ready so have checked me in. But even if they don't have any free rooms when you turn up, they've always been willing to store my bags, including over the weekend when I'm coming back the next week.

Not sure when you're there but I'm there all next week - will let you know if I have any further thoughts while I'm there.

chrism20 Aug 26, 15 3:29 am


Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 25329174)
What are the pros/cons of staying here vs. at the nearby Holiday Inn Express Theatreland?

Also, where would I have the best chance of getting an early check in? My flight arrives at Glasgow airport at 7:30 a.m.

The HIX is the newer of the two and the room sizes are far more consistent. The HI being older has some rooms that are quite a bit smaller although quite a heft refurb has taken place over the last year so some of the rooms are now much better than they were.

If you stay at the HIX you can use the bar/restaurant in the HI and charge it to your HIX room.

As for early checkin either should be able to provide it. They are both owned by the same group and share back office teams. I've got an email address for the revenue manager so will message you with that.

Even if you can't get into the room the HI definitely has a luggage room, I'm not sure about the HIX though but I would imagine they would be able to have a room ready for a 9am arrival at the hotel.

Personally I would stay at the HI if I were choosing between the two.

hcuk94 Aug 26, 15 3:55 am


Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 25329303)
If you stay at the HIX you can use the bar/restaurant in the HI and charge it to your HIX room.

+1 didn't know this

chrism20 Aug 26, 15 4:04 am


Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 25329354)
+1 didn't know this

You also used to be able to charge meals from DiMaggios (The Italian between the two hotels) to your HIX room. Not sure if you still can but I would imagine it is still the case although it doesn't earn points.

The HIX room numbers all start higher so that they can run off the same system. For example the HIX rooms all start 151, 251 and so on whilst the HIs start 101, 201 etc.

jphripjah Aug 26, 15 4:17 am

Do either/both have walk in showers, or do they have bathtubs? I prefer a walk in shower, sometimes older hotels just have bathtubs.

chrism20 Aug 26, 15 4:38 am

The HI is mostly baths with shower over IIRC although at least one of the suites is shower only.

The HIX is all showers - no baths and that is standard across the HIX brand in the UK AFAIK


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.