Annoying folio descriptions

Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:00 pm
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
My read of the topic of this thread is the clarity of the description of charges in a portfolio, not the propriety of charges on an expense report. Different employers have different policies and the OP didn't seem to be starting a discussion of what a particular employer's policy is.

So... about the descriptions... I've always found them to be rather cryptic 5-character rate codes that don't really say much of anything unless you know how to look them up. The line items that I see say little more than "accommodation" and "Tax", so I guess I haven't seen this as even a potential problem, at least with IHG.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
What to think about employees willing to get 1,000 additional points at the expense of the company?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:33 pm

I would agree that the hotels give the "extra points" options for business travelers to stick it to their employer. I have never done that, but I have taken the higher rate for additional miles on personal trips. When IHG hotels used to get 15% from Bigcrumbs or MrRebates, the extra $5 for 1,000 points was a good deal. But, I've never done it when my employer pays the bill. At the same time, is there much difference if you take a small upgrade in your room, say spending an extra $10 for a king room as long as you stay under your employer's limits? Personally, I think there is a difference.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:46 pm

The only thing you can do is continue to ask the hotel to change the description. Keep in mind that they also have accounting related to that line item which is how they came up with the code in the first place, so they could get in trouble with auditors in the future, which most front desk clerks probably know nothing about.

I don't agree with what you are doing, because you seem to have to hide it and that in of itself is suspect. It would be a lot easier to just explain the code to the employer and most would be okay with that. I have just written down an explanation of the code for my employer and taken a picture of it to upload to my expense report without any problems. My employer is fully aware of what is being done and is okay with it.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Some people live in a travel bubble. If my company has a $125/night travel policy it doesn't mean I can't spend $190 if that is the best option for that night. As long as I do my best to make up for it with a 5 night stay at a Candlewood for $89/night it will all even out. So if I find a HIX that is going for $119/night but $134 will get me 5k bonus points, I don't think twice about booking the bonus points. I know that in the end my budget will even itself out because I am smart about it.

Is it possible that I could get my average down to $114 over the course of a year by not booking bonus points? Sure, I guess, but that's not how it works. You get a budget number to try and stick to, otherwise your company may as well tell you to stay at Motel 6 for 100 nights and then treat yourself to a few Hiltons. This thread makes me really happy to work for a company that trusts me to stay 200-250+ nights a year booking my own travel and knows I won't abuse the system.

Reaching top status at multiple hotels has tons of benefits that can't be priced in, as noted above by a poster, such as free internet or food, but even more so just in getting things by asking because you are a top tier, such as a lower rate (which I have used all the time just by calling and asking and receiving) or free parking or just the ability to get a room in a tough market during busy events.

To suggest it is stealing or morally wrong to book some bonus points is a ridiculous claim. Most companies have a chain of command where you have your expenses approved by one and probably two people, who both look at your expenses and then decide if they are ok. $5 or $10 here or there when you will make up for it in other ways is hardly something to worry about, especially when the benefit of having a solid employee on the road for you for tons of nights a year far outweigh a few hundred bucks over the course of the year.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skeeze666
This thread makes me really happy to work for a company that trusts me to stay 200-250+ nights a year booking my own travel and knows I won't abuse the system.
according to your definition. I'll make the same statement I made above, send out an email to others who travel in your company and tell them what you are doing. List the pros & cons. Make sure you CC your budget folks & top brass. My guess is that even though you justify your extra expenditures, not everyone is going to be so in line with your definition of not abusing the system.
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
My employer is fully aware of what is being done and is okay with it.
Puppenstein's approach is the correct and ethical approach to take. If you explain to your employer your logic and they agree, all is good. Otherwise to go on YOUR assumption/logic w/o clearing with your employer is not ethical, regardless of the savings to the company you see yourself having.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
according to your definition. I'll make the same statement I made above, send out an email to others who travel in your company and tell them what you are doing. List the pros & cons. Make sure you CC your budget folks & top brass. My guess is that even though you justify your extra expenditures, not everyone is going to be so in line with your definition of not abusing the system.Puppenstein's approach is the correct and ethical approach to take. If you explain to your employer your logic and they agree, all is good. Otherwise to go on YOUR assumption/logic w/o clearing with your employer is not ethical, regardless of the savings to the company you see yourself having.
^nicely put.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by skeeze666
Some people live in a travel bubble. If my company has a $125/night travel policy it doesn't mean I can't spend $190 if that is the best option for that night.

This thread makes me really happy to work for a company that trusts me to stay 200-250+ nights a year booking my own travel and knows I won't abuse the system.

Reaching top status at multiple hotels has tons of benefits .....
I'm not at all sure how earning extra points improves your accommodation, making it the best option for the night. It simply transfers your employer's cash to your points balance. If your employer wishes to reward you for all your nights away, then there are better, more open and certainly more efficient ways to achieve this.

If I spent 250+ nights a year in hotels for work, I'm guessing I'd have enough miles without these bonus games.

As far as I know, the bonus points don't contribute to the status pot.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
according to your definition. I'll make the same statement I made above, send out an email to others who travel in your company and tell them what you are doing. List the pros & cons. Make sure you CC your budget folks & top brass. My guess is that even though you justify your extra expenditures, not everyone is going to be so in line with your definition of not abusing the system.Puppenstein's approach is the correct and ethical approach to take. If you explain to your employer your logic and they agree, all is good. Otherwise to go on YOUR assumption/logic w/o clearing with your employer is not ethical, regardless of the savings to the company you see yourself having.
Very well said. If one of my employees had a certain budget I expect the person not to go over the budget, but the person is under no obligation to spend all of MY money for buying personal benefits. And "the need to travel for the job as a burden" is not an excuse for me. The compensation for this burden is part of the negotiated remuneration package. If the person is not satisfied with the package, he/she is free to negotiate. A budget, however, is not a self service store without the need to visit the cash register.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.