Non-Qualifying Stay on Advance Saver Rate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Non-Qualifying Stay on Advance Saver Rate

This happened never to me before, but now,
  1. 6 Nights HIX Philadelphia with Book Early & Save - Advance Purchase rate
  2. 1 Night IC Frankfurt with Advance Saver rate
I have booked using the IHG site, posted as non-qualifying stays. Especially the HIX in Philadelphia wasn't that deeply discounted.

When I claimed the missing points at IHG website, I got the following confirmation email:

Re: ROYAL AMBASSADOR: Point Discrepancy Notification
Thank you for your email. We are currently experiencing higher email volume than usual. Please expect delays to our responses which may take up to 2-3 weeks. If you need urgent assistance, please call us at 1-888-211- 9874.
What's going on there, "higher email volume than usual", 2-3 weeks delays in response ... very strange.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cazane
This happened never to me before, but now,
I have booked using the IHG site, posted as non-qualifying stays. Especially the HIX in Philadelphia wasn't that deeply discounted.

When I claimed the missing points at IHG website, I got the following confirmation email:

What's going on there, "higher email volume than usual", 2-3 weeks delays in response ... very strange.
Use skype for free phonecall to ambassador helpline if 2-3 weeks is an issue, like need totals for RA requal. I had to for my split July IC stays.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Use skype for free phonecall to ambassador helpline if 2-3 weeks is an issue, like need totals for RA requal. I had to for my split July IC stays.
2-3 weeks arn't an issue. I have booked quiet often this rate type over the last years and never had problems to get them posted as qualified nights. Wonder whether there was a change regarding rates with the new IHG Rewards Club.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
2-3 weeks arn't an issue. I have booked quiet often this rate type over the last years and never had problems to get them posted as qualified nights. Wonder whether there was a change regarding rates with the new IHG Rewards Club.
Since 1st July I have booked and completed stays on Advance Rate, Flex Rate, 241-Rate, Corporate-Rate. All posted as qualifying.

I avoid PrePaid-A 35% off, which has always been non-qual, with varied reports of being lucky to get points/qual-night. Since Jan2013 FT reports suggests no one gets lucky on PrePaid-A anymore.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:53 pm

Two weeks ago I had a stay booked on an advance purchase rate. It posted as non-qualifying. I did an online missing points claim on Tuesday & got the same 2-3 week response.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:44 pm

I had a 4 night prepaid stay just post as non-qualifying. Called the 800 number and asked why. He tried to post it, but it failed again. So he entered another reservation and I had my points immediately.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards, ANA Mileage Club, AsiaMiles
Yes, I stayed at quite a few hotels over the summer in Germany/Austria all booked with advance saver rates, and 4 out 5 stays posted as non-qualifying. Sent them the missing points claim and were all credited back. Again, this has never happened to me before.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kitaka
Yes, I stayed at quite a few hotels over the summer in Germany/Austria all booked with advance saver rates, and 4 out 5 stays posted as non-qualifying. Sent them the missing points claim and were all credited back. Again, this has never happened to me before.
Same for me for my German stays, same automatic answer by Ambassador Services, but all stays of course finally posted as qualifying one week after request,
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I stayed at IC Frankfurt on 16th-18th August on the 2-4-1 rate. It posted on Monday 26th as non-qualifying. I filled in the on-line form, got the standard "will reply in 2-3 weeks". However, got a reply today (31st) apologising for the issue and confirmation on the points being posted manually to my account which are now there.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Rewards, ANA Mileage Club, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Same for me for my German stays, same automatic answer by Ambassador Services, but all stays of course finally posted as qualifying one week after request,
My last stay at Essen was met with a reply from IHG stating that "the room rate paid during the stay in question was deeply discounted. As such, it is ineligible for credit to your account". It was a 'Book Early and Save' rate _ a rather common rate I suppose? ... so sent them back a reply saying I've used this rate many times before and they have all been credited. Wondering if it will get credited ..
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:13 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kitaka
... so sent them back a reply saying I've used this rate many times before and they have all been credited. Wondering if it will get credited ..
I think that's the wrong approach. Who cares how many times you may have gotten points on potentially non-qualifying stays? I always write back that the rate was NOT deeply discounted, but a standard Advance Purchase rate and therefore qualifies for points. This has always worked.

But probably it doesn't matter what you write back -- the first response is semi-automatic and keeps 90% of customers from pursuing the points further. 50% of these customers will also stop going out of their way to stay at another IHG hotel -- but hey: IHG saved 1000 points...

HTB.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I've had this before on a rate shown by IHG.com and after a lot of back and forth the outcome was the rate was 30% less than the Best flex, so non-qualifying. It's their program, their rules.

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glo...care/member-tc
In addition, in North, South and Central America and the Caribbean, points may be collected on locally negotiated rates if these rates are discounted less than 30%.
I chalked that one up to experience, but offset the lost points against the numerous promos where I've earned way more points.

Now I will generally take a screen shot at the booking stage where it shows the "Points to be earned", but have fortunately never needed to use these as any missing points have been credited using the missing stay form.

YMMV
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: LH SEN
I'm having a run of non-qualifying points as well, mostly on pre-paid rates. I'm requesting missing points from each one, and have the same 2-3 weeks response, but have had a response within 7 days for the first one.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by frugalgal1001
Two weeks ago I had a stay booked on an advance purchase rate. It posted as non-qualifying. I did an online missing points claim on Tuesday & got the same 2-3 week response.
Got an email response on Sunday, so it took less than a week for them to change my stay to qualifying and post my points.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

[...]
The missing points I have claimed at the IHG website on August 29th were adjusted today on my account.
The "non-qualifying stays" still show up in the activity history, the adjustment was done as "overlapping stay" in both cases.
Ambassador accelerator and "elite qualfying brands" were correctly updated, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.