Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 person working on check-in desk - join the queue or jump it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
1 person working on check-in desk - join the queue or jump it?

Went to check-in at the HI I am staying at tonight. There was a big queue and only a single person on the front desk.

In this situation is it acceptable to walk right up to the priority check-in desk and expect to get checked-in next or should you join the queue and wait.

As it's a published benefit and there was a notice on display that said 'priority check-in' I think it's not unreasonable to stand there and get service (very similar to the scene in up in the air). Obviously I must be wrong though as I was ignored and make to feel like a complete fool and eventually just went to the back of the normal queue. No-one in the queue in front was a gold/platinum as the receptionist did say to a couple they were club members and I was acknowledged as a platinum.

Don't know if I was trying to be a DYKWIA or not. I didn't say anything at the time but am tempted to feed it back to them.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP, if as he says he is, was entitled to stand at the priority check-in desk if he wanted to. But, it wasn't staffed so he didn't get served.

His choice whether to wait in line and get served or stand at a closed counter. If he feels foolish, he should. But, we each have our own preferences.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I cannot remember the last time I saw the priority check in desk open!

Over the years I do not remember once seeing it used in that way in the UK, as when I have seen it open it was being used as a standard check in desk only.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: IHG
Last month I had to queue 25 minutes to check in to a UK Holiday Inn.

Staff were eagerly signing up new PC members, enhancing delays.

After eventually reaching the desk I asked how the Priority Check In system works. The answer? "We cannot operate it when we're busy".

In truth it never operates.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:10 pm
uk1
Suspended

Wouldn't a reasonable option be to explain the issue to the concierge and ask him to call the back office for someone to come out to the priority position?

They would say to him " ok" and then you could go back to the priority bit of the desk and wait. If the answer was "no" then perhaps it's reasonable to ask for the duty manager to help as clearly the issue of an understaffed front desk is an issue they should be made aware of.

Pushing in is simply bad manners to the other people in the queue. It isn't their fault that the priority position is unstaffed and pushing in will simply annoy everyone and make you look like a selfish dykwia idiot.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Anytime there is an Elite counter clearly dedicated, I walk straight to it (same thing with Hertz), staffed or not.

I consider that it is hotel management to meet the fast check-in requirements, not loyal customers to adapt to the poor policy implementation.

Fortunately, it happens very rarely (no more than 3 times for me).
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by uk1
Wouldn't a reasonable option be to explain the issue to the concierge and ask him to call the back office for someone to come out to the priority position?

They would say to him " ok" and then you could go back to the priority bit of the desk and wait. If the answer was "no" then perhaps it's reasonable to ask for the duty manager to help as clearly the issue of an understaffed front desk is an issue they should be made aware of.

Pushing in is simply bad manners to the other people in the queue. It isn't their fault that the priority position is unstaffed and pushing in will simply annoy everyone and make you look like a selfish dykwia idiot.
Unfortunately there is no concierge desk here but I'm not so sure it's bad manners either. It's a published benefit for Gold and Plat so what I thought should have happened was the front desk should have checked me in after finishing with the customer they were dealing with. Once it was obvious this wasn't going to happen I didn't make a scene and went to the back of the queue but it didn't feel right.

The priority check-in sign was clearly on display which makes it available IMO. I'm happy to not get an upgrade when none are available as it's subject to availability but at no point should priority check-in be subject to availability IMO. If there was only a queue of 2 or 3 then I wouldn't mind waiting but it was quite a queue. The HI in Stevenage has a good system whereby there is a book to sign on the priority desk for newspaper, wake up call, car reg and the staff sort out your card once they finish with their current customer.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Didn't you hear? There's no "priority" privileges for elite members anymore.

Hence why they are changing the name of the program
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:32 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Didn't you hear? There's no "priority" privileges for elite members anymore.

Hence why they are changing the name of the program
So true
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:58 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

I've done exactly this before. A coach party being booked in, which looked like a zoo. After a long day of travelling I just wanted to get to my room.

Saw the priority desk and stood there. And a loud mouth woman in her 50s started shouting 'he's pushing in, look, he's pushing in'. Other people start to join my queue. I quickly explained I was a member and just queuing up where I should. She shouts 'pushing in, pushing in' even louder attracting the attention if check-in staff, one of them shouts across 'we'll be over in a minute sir' - her face was a picture when an apologetic manager came out of the back office and started serving me! I try not to smirk in situations like this!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
I would queue and suck up the delay. Too British I guess.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Interestingly, the Term Priority Check In™ is not mentioned at all in the Membership Terms and Conditions:

So although it is stated as a benefit for both Gold and Platinum members, and apparently the term has even been trademarked, it is stated nowhere what entitlement exactly is associated with this "benefit".

In my experience, at most hotels in Europe and the US where I have been there is either no sign at all or there is a sign but the desk is not manned. In Asia, where I believe there is generally more staff at the check in desks, I have had better experiences.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheMajor
I would queue and suck up the delay. Too British I guess.
In particular because other members could already be in the queue. Being a priority club elite member is not a rare species.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Motors
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

I've done exactly this before. A coach party being booked in, which looked like a zoo. After a long day of travelling I just wanted to get to my room.

Saw the priority desk and stood there. And a loud mouth woman in her 50s started shouting 'he's pushing in, look, he's pushing in'. Other people start to join my queue. I quickly explained I was a member and just queuing up where I should. She shouts 'pushing in, pushing in' even louder attracting the attention if check-in staff, one of them shouts across 'we'll be over in a minute sir' - her face was a picture when an apologetic manager came out of the back office and started serving me! I try not to smirk in situations like this!
I've done exactly the same... why should I wait? The reason I'm there is part of the loyalty thing...so check-me in goodammit!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Anytime there is an Elite counter clearly dedicated, I walk straight to it (same thing with Hertz), staffed or not.

I consider that it is hotel management to meet the fast check-in requirements, not loyal customers to adapt to the poor policy implementation.

Fortunately, it happens very rarely (no more than 3 times for me).
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.