FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Noise in the lounge where do you draw the line? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1438449-noise-lounge-where-do-you-draw-line.html)

aussielori Feb 14, 2013 4:36 am

Noise in the lounge where do you draw the line?

Was in the BKK IC lounge last night
a guy was on the phone in the alcove and the 20 min conversation could be heard and echoed throughout.
I ended up leaving I dont know how long it went for

I didnt say anything but it was disturbing.

there were also kids laughing & screaming during drinks time.

I can appreciate guest wanting to bring their children in, but should be kept quiet.
it seemed to be like a free for all.
much louder lounge that i am used to

Tonite I received a call I was waiting for on skype
I was pretty low in volume but did answer it.
after one minute ( the whole conversation lasted 3mins and 2 of it was telling the person on the other end what a dill this guy was!
this german gustapo type guy started pushing my chair( he was sitting directly behind me) and screaming at me
what a dill.
anyway where do you draw the line???
I certainly would wait at least 5 mins before ever commenting on a persons behaviour.

scubaccr Feb 14, 2013 5:26 am

I want children to only be in lounges if accompanied, and ratio of at least 1 adult per 2 children. Firstly ensures to an extent legitimate kids in lounge secondly they might be kept an eye on (some hope ! ).
Kids also hog the Lounge computer, playing games, occaisionally (not always) I find children rude when asked If I can print a boarding pass, especially if not being supervised.

Also had some twit phone in for tele conference, set his phone on loud speaker at high volume and proceeded to shout from his end, and interupt colleagues at other end who I could hear over loudspeaker.
Discussing confidential banking information too. I would not employ someone like that, totally unprofessional and rude. Call went on for 30 minutes.

It seems Lounge staff are worried about complaints if they try to intervene, even when asked too. I can see it from Lounge staffs point of view, the unruly side email/speak to hotel manager laying it on really thick, and deny it, call lounge staff liars, whilst staff lack countering support chat/emails from Lounge customer on whos behalf they got involved.

LosPenguinosII Feb 14, 2013 5:27 am

If the lounge has 'no phone (or alike)' policy in the lounge,
you should expect warning even after the first second.

Your 20minutes patience was good, but it doesn't give you a permission
for 3 minutes talk.

olegator Feb 14, 2013 6:22 am

I'm using a miniature hands-free device for my notebook, so when I need to answer the skype I can simply go to the corner of the club or some other place and finish my talk there without interrupting the call and without annoyance to other guests.

uk1 Feb 14, 2013 7:45 am

IC Singapore has introduced that Happy Hour is now kids free.

It's a shame that all IC's introduce some basic rules to protect a quiet ambience to the lounges ie "ask" that mobiles are switched off and that lobbies are used for calls not the main lounge areas, no skye at all, no kids on the computers, no eating at the computers by anyone, meetings conducted quietly ..........

I'm dreaming .....

FinalCallDXB Feb 14, 2013 8:41 am

Am at IC Singapore currently with 8 month old in tow and think the way they handle the happy hour is a good approach. No kids in lounge during this period but they will arrange drinks + kid friendly nibbles in the lobby bar for those blessed/afflicted with offspring. Haven't taken advantage as happy hour timing coincides with jr's bedtime so have been enjoying the lounge while Mrs FinalCall does the honours but appreciate the effort to accommodate all.

Outside of happy hour the lounge is happy to accommodate little ones, little things like plastic spoons, sterilising bottles etc have been no issue and a great help. Making my life as a father a tad easier allows me to best accommodate jr's needs - happy baby = quiet baby so everyone is a winner.

FinalCallDXB Feb 14, 2013 8:47 am

On a side note......whilst fatherhood has somewhat moderated my views on many fronts, I still think people who use Skype in the lounge without headphones should be shot.

Moranguinho Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by aussielori (Post 20245128)
this german gustapo type guy

Good to see some peoples basic convictions so easily.

IAN-UK Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB (Post 20246504)
On a side note......whilst fatherhood has somewhat moderated my views on many fronts, I still think people who use Skype in the lounge without headphones should be shot.

I'm not sure I'd like to promise a happy ending to Skypers with heaphhones, either. The ones who believe those around them are captivated, charmed, by the young families they see in the Skypers video chat need to be disuilluioned.

The ones walking to and fro, speading the conversational load while communicating with office, lovers, airline staff etc, deserve the very slowest end.

aussielori Feb 15, 2013 6:18 am

Originally Posted by LosPenguinosII (Post 20245324)
If the lounge has 'no phone (or alike)' policy in the lounge,

you should expect warning even after the first second.

Your 20 minutes patience was good, but it doesn't give you a permission
for 3 minutes talk.

NO there is nil phone policy there
lots of people on cell phones

but there is a "kids must be supervised".
actually I checked my skype time this morn it was 2 minutes
so half a minute to answer the caller- one and half to s++t off the gustapo type guy.

and the kids were running riot again tonite so I asked the manager
"do you always let these kids run riot" her answer
yes
we cant do anything about it.
they( about 6 of them not just one or 2) were sliding under the large table with the food on it and running to and fro then one fell and screamed.
:rolleyes:

uk1 Feb 15, 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by aussielori (Post 20252465)
actually I checked my skype time this morn it was 2 minutes
so half a minute to answer the called- one and half to .... of the gustapo type guy.
and the kids were running riot again tonite so I asked the manageR
"do you always let these kids run riot" her answer
yes
we cant do anything about it.
theY were sliding under the large table with the food on it aND running to and fro then one fell and screamed.
:rolleyes:

Why don't you ask the lounge manager who said "yes" to ask the GM to come and talk to you in the lounge to see whether the lounge manager is managing as the GM expected or not?

Crazyhotelguy Feb 15, 2013 6:34 am

I never understood why people feel compelled to hold their skype/phone conversations in a hotel lounge... You have a private hotel room right down the hall.... This is just DYKWIA behavior... see how important I am?

nicolas75 Feb 15, 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 20246006)
It's a shame that all IC's introduce some basic rules to protect a quiet ambience to the lounges ie "ask" that mobiles are switched off and that lobbies are used for calls not the main lounge areas, no skye at all, no kids on the computers, no eating at the computers by anyone, meetings conducted quietly ..........

I'm dreaming .....

+1

Still it is always suprising that some written rules are needed when what is asked is just common sense/basic politeness.

I can remember in a sauna at some IC people chatting very noisily, coming in and out the steamroom without interruption, etc. When I asked for quiet, I was replied: "But is is written nowhere that people should stay quiet!" I said: "Should it be written that you are not supposed to kill someone just not to do it?!".

nicolas75 Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 20252525)
I never understood why people feel compelled to hold their skype/phone conversations in a hotel lounge...

+1

Is it because wifi is not included in their room rate?

uk1 Feb 15, 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 20253969)
+1

Still it is always suprising that some written rules are needed when what is asked is just common sense/basic politeness.

I can remember in a sauna at some IC people chatting very noisily, coming in and out the steamroom without interruption, etc. When I asked for quiet, I was replied: "But is is written nowhere that people should stay quiet!" I said: "Should it be written that you are not supposed to kill someone just not to do it?!".

I think the problem is that it's seen by many as being a 'business lounge' and I think some feel that confers on it the blessing to conduct business. The fact they also have meetings rooms adds to the impression.

I really wish that in the welcome letter they would add more explicit behaviour guidelines. Some clearly need it.