Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for RA's: Is RA status still worth earning?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by no-backpacker
Club-room yes, but ACCESS to club-lounge is not a promised perk, that's what I meant.
Sounds like a non-benefit. "Club-room" may just mean a standard room on a club floor. This never happened to me last year, always got something that they called a (junior) suite. At some locations those are all non-smoking and I always got some sort of executive or whatever plus club access instead.

Hah, here's an idea: reserve a smoking room in place where you know that they don't have smoking suites (IC Addison comes to mind) and get automatic club access as a compensation.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:57 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Once upon a time, Royal Ambassadors were treated like royalty....like an Ambassador! This is just my comparison as I have been RA 3 out of the past 5 years.

Then: Upgrade to best suites
Now: 1-3 category upgrade (each hotel argues this)

Then: Grade A alcohol like Ten Cane rum
Now: Bacardi and others

Then: Club access granted
Now: No Club - hotels say PC rule but PC says hotel?!?

Then: Ability use weekend bogo, even while at hotel
Now: Weekend bogo only booked online, rarely available

Then: Weekend bogo any published rate
Now: Weekend bogo supposedly BAR but actually higher

Then: Guaranteed early AM check in
Now: Guaranteed check your luggage until later

Then: Guaranteed late check out
Now: Put on hold while getting approval from Front Desk Mgr

With no lounge or breakfast guaranteed perk and the games they play with mini bar now like not restocking until following day, emptying it out for your personal use in mind (yeah right), and higher rates overall especially when using a weekend BOGO, it makes you wonder what's the point of paying for Ambassador membership plus getting RA when SPG /Marriott Platinum and Hyatt Diamond are much easier to earn, have more locations and better customer service if any problems.

Last edited by idealflyer; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:00 am Reason: FT won't allow me to make columns!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Then: Upgrade to best suites
Now: 1-3 category upgrade (each hotel argues this)

Then: Grade A alcohol like Ten Cane rum
Now: Bacardi and others

Then: Club access granted
Now: No Club - hotels say PC rule but PC says hotel?!?

Then: Guaranteed early AM check in
Now: Guaranteed check your luggage until later

Then: Guaranteed late check out
Now: Put on hold while getting approval from Front Desk Mgr
Not true at any of the IC's I frequent. My stays this year have got me upgraded to very large suites, club access (where available), with top alcohol in the mini-bar, no problem with 8am check in (alternate room if mine wasn't ready) and I don't even have to ask about 4pm check out.

I know that some IC's aren't this great, but that has always been the case with *some* IC's.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not true at any of the IC's I frequent. My stays this year have got me upgraded to very large suites, club access (where available), with top alcohol in the mini-bar, no problem with 8am check in (alternate room if mine wasn't ready) and I don't even have to ask about 4pm check out.

I know that some IC's aren't this great, but that has always been the case with *some* IC's.
In your view, how much of your treatment has been due to you being a recognised regular visitor to the properties - as well as being an RA - and how much might "stranger" ( no joke intended) RAs expect to be treated identically to your experience in the properties you have in mind?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
In your view, how much of your treatment has been due to you being a recognised regular visitor to the properties - as well as being an RA - and how much might "stranger" ( no joke intended) RAs expect to be treated identically to your experience in the properties you have in mind?
I recently stayed at the Willard for the first time since the 90's, and got upgraded to an enormous executive suite. That at least cannot be attributed to being a regular guest. It is possible that the hotel looks at my long RA history to make a decision. I really don't know for sure. Plus the 8am check and 4pm check out is mandatory and if they don't give that to you at a particular IC, you have to stand up for yourself and insist. As for mini-bar quality, that depends on the hotel. Some are great, some not so great.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by uk1
I've had excellent recognition as first timer (or second timer) at many ICs (e.g. VIE, BKK, MCT, Seoul COEX, Tokyo Bay, etc) At my very frequent IC BUD I get that "special touch" but so far I have no reason to complain anywhere.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:32 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
My observation is just my view, but I have talked to great lengths with others about the good old days of RA. I am sure there are others who think IC is the best hotel out there. I stayed at Willard about 3-4 times and my past stays have been from grand suites then to junior suites and eventually now just Willard Rooms.

I like some of the hotels very much, but I just find their program so regularly inconsistent that it takes the fun out of hotel stays when you have to argue/demand/insist on your earned perks. And don't get me started about no guaranteed perks on award stays now!

Bottom line, the RA program is not like it used to. When I travel, I want to know what to expect and lately RA has fallen short of my expectations.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idealflyer
I stayed at Willard about 3-4 times and my past stays have been from grand suites then to junior suites and eventually now just Willard Rooms.
My stay in the huge suite was only a few weeks ago, so there is no change to their policy. You probably just stayed on days when the larger suites were all full. That can happen to any hotel in any chain, especially one with a location like the Willard. You don't always get a big suite upgrade no matter what your VIP level.

And don't get me started about no guaranteed perks on award stays now!
What do you mean now? That part of the program hasn't changed in at least a decade. I think it has always been that way. We were never guaranteed benefits on award stays, yet many hotels give us these benefits anyways.

Bottom line, the RA program is not like it used to. When I travel, I want to know what to expect and lately RA has fallen short of my expectations.
RA treatment has always been unique to the hotel. I rather like that as opposed to the cookie cutter approach taken by Sheratons, Hiltons, Marriotts, etc. I've been RA almost since the program began and the IC Hong Kong has never ever given me Club access. Nor has the London PL property. Do I hate those hotels? No of course not. They give me great treatment in every other way and more importantly they are excellent hotels in their own right. On the other side of the coin the IC Nairobi, Sandton and Paris Le Grand have always given me Club access and pretty much honored every wish I've expressed to them.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:46 am

Yes, award stays never guaranteed perks. I only mentioned now about getting me started as it is pet peeve of mine. You pay 200 euros at a hotel one night and the next night on an award you are nothing, having to fight to keep your room upgrade! Although I have been lucky a few times in New York and Chicago.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
What do you mean now? That part of the program hasn't changed in at least a decade. I think it has always been that way. We were never guaranteed benefits on award stays, yet many hotels give us these benefits anyways.
I think the key point is that this is a major shortcoming of the RA program when compared to Hyatt/Hilton/Starwood top tier. Even if some hotels offer RA benefits on award stays, it is at the individual discretion of the hotel and may not be consistantly applied.

Based on eveything I have been reading I am still planning on chasing RA this year. However, the lack of guaranteed benefits on reward stays is a huge issue for me. The times that I really want benefits are when I am travelling on vacation using reward stays!

SG
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I think the key point is that this is a major shortcoming of the RA program when compared to Hyatt/Hilton/Starwood top tier.
Yes, but my point is that it has always been this way. It's nothing new. It has no relation to a perceived decline of RA status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.