FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Have you changed your hotel stay pattern due to PC devaluations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1437334-have-you-changed-your-hotel-stay-pattern-due-pc-devaluations.html)

ConfusedInJapan Feb 11, 2013 1:41 am

Have you changed your hotel stay pattern due to PC devaluations?

Curious about this.

There's been a lot of disappointment expressed on various threads (harder to achieve plat, increased redemption levels, fewer promos) in the last month. How many people actually took their business elsewhere due to these changes? And, where did you go? Or, have you redoubled your efforts to hit plat with PC?

I decided to give SPG a try this year (I just achieved SPG plat through a status challenge). As a result, PC already missed out on >$3000, but I suppose they've done the math and decided that many will spend extra trying to hit plat to offset those that defect.

I tend to stay at hotels for around 40 nights per year, so plat status is difficult to achieve in any program (PC may still be easiest), but gold status in PC is virtually worthless so I took the plunge with another program. I'll re-assess at the end of the year :)

nacho Feb 11, 2013 5:00 am

Yes it hits me too, I have given up on them and only stay on them on PB to burn the rest of the points purchased. Mr. Nacho is running Marriott Plat Challenge now so we are moving our stays to Marriott.

TeflonMan Feb 11, 2013 8:06 am

Club Carlson matched my IHG Plat to CC Gold within a couple of days.

Five out of seven stays so far this year (that would normally all have gone to IHG) went to Radisson or Park Inn, with room upgrades on three occasions.
I should be able to accumulate a sufficient number of nights to maintain Gold with CC and that is exactly what I will do.

Hawkwind1966 Feb 11, 2013 8:35 am

I used to be a proud member of Priority Club and would stay in their hotels out of preference, including using their hotels as the bases for my teams - so they got good money out of me, but hey, I got good service.

As time has gone on, things started slowly getting worse, but only little by little, so I may have grumbled occassionally but my behaviour remained the same.

However in 2012 I found that I could no longer justify keeping the group as my hotels of choice - check-in and out had slowed, no obvious bonus for the loyalty (no a kit-kat doesn't quite do it for me).

Then there was the Best Rate Guarentee - well tried it twice - 1st time ended in a row, but eventually HQ took up my case and it was resolved with apologies. Next time I claimed - got blanked out. Now I am not stupid, I manage to hold down a good job with budget and commercial responsibilities - so I think I understand the scheme and whether I should be credited or not.

So I decided that I had to break the unbilical cord and have now done so. Whilst I will not be a platinum member after this year, I don't need to be - I get better service in the other hotels I choose - if I don't I change hotels.

Unfortunately ICH seem to have taken the "Marketing" route to customer satisfaction - keep telling us how well we are treated and we will eventually believe it. I wrote a paper a few years ago about BMI and how they were doing this and what the end result could be - I was unfortunately proved right.

Customer loyalty is driven by happy customers - not by marketeers getting together with lawyers.

Rant over - goodbye ICH and thanks for the Kit Kats.

nicolas75 Feb 11, 2013 8:56 am

No change for me, as rewards stays are not my main motivation towards PC (Royal Ambassador is).

By the way, I think that all major hotel groups (and airlines) follow the same strategy regarding points [devaluation].

Not quite sure that grass is greener at other chains: PC is quite generous (not so difficult if you are really loyal to get a lot of points and maintain status), and Point Breaks is unbeatable.

bigbaldbairn Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan (Post 20224163)

There's been a lot of disappointment expressed on various threads (harder to achieve plat, increased redemption levels, fewer promos) in the last month. How many people actually took their business elsewhere due to these changes? And, where did you go? Or, have you redoubled your efforts to hit plat with PC?

Simple answer is Yes. Because of the changes to the program but also due to the fact the ongoing promotions are very dissapointing and also it is so hard to work out whether you are going to get an upgrade / benefit at any given hotel.

I switched to Hilton towards the end of last year and achieved Diamond status for this year and am working on next year. The program is not as generous in terms of free nights but is more generous in terms of benefits during stays IMHO.

Have only stayed twice this year with PC at properties I know and like (and cities where Hilton isnt a good option) - I will still probably try and maintain Plat this year in the hope things improve.

Points Surfer Feb 11, 2013 9:12 am

Yes, PCR is not on the radar anymore. Only points stays ytd.

As I've mentioned elsewhere....issues with getting true value/quality stays on points in recent years (Strangely enough PB stays were the best quality not the 25K stays but rarely locations I really wanted) and ultimately the 2013 qualifying changes finally convinced me to move on after being an IHG supporter since the 90's. Leaked offers to FT cranked up points earnings for sure but PCR misjudged some of their customer base over time. Had not PCR demanded more stays for Plat requalification I'd have probably kept my same patterns just for the points. I can only speculate that after PCR's use of easy crack-points to build up membership totals served the day and now that they have peaked a large portion are expendable under the latest musings of the Marketing guru's to stay more or pay higher rates to earn Plat. Its likely an upside for 2014 Plats but will cost PCR $$ as members drift away...loyalty is only as good as the program.

Myself and Mrs.Surfer are burning up points this year while still PCR Plat but my HI/HIX paid stays have gone to Hilton with a Gold Challenge that just got bumped to Diamond. SPG/Delta stays remain the same but IHG and other stays moving to Hilton as vendor #3. I will keep IC Amb though as I like the IC locations for personal stays mostly and mostly buy the room I want so status is irrelevant. So far I've had excellent stays with the Hilton Brand and have 120K in aged pts banked prior as a Blue so I will build on that for 2014 spending and bumped up HH status will help.

cactuspete Feb 11, 2013 9:32 am

Yes .

FlyerTalker688786 Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

I decide to give them one year to try. I will make a decision by December 2013 and review how IHG have been performing compare with previous years.

So I am not changing my stay pattern yet. But I may do so after 2013 if it falls further down the road of deterioration or marriottisation.

olegator Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am

Yes, but only due 2for1 (IDEX1). Do not care about points devaluation at all.

paulmoscow Feb 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I've replaced IHG with Marriott.

Will stay at IHG hotels only when absolutely unavoidable and only with non-qualifying rates (F&F, 2-4-1 or Priceline NYOP).

Will also take a look at whether Delta's Crossover Rewards pans out or not.

Amyrlin Feb 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TeflonMan (Post 20225485)
Club Carlson matched my IHG Plat to CC Gold within a couple of days.

Five out of seven stays so far this year (that would normally all have gone to IHG) went to Radisson or Park Inn, with room upgrades on three occasions.
I should be able to accumulate a sufficient number of nights to maintain Gold with CC and that is exactly what I will do.

I have also found Club Carlson to be much more consisent in upgrades compared to HI, the extra benifits fo all nights qualifying and the weekend 1+1 or 2+2 nights paid/free is a great perk.

I still have stays with PC, and there will be enough to earn plat (mainly now due to locations only), but with the devalution in points I may as well spread it around more, and get points with the other chains that have hotels I like when they are in the area.

It has helped to break loyalty patterns that were established.

kitbag1984 Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Have actually swapped to Hilton.

I have found heir normal Hilton brand to be on par price wise with HI but are actually ten times nicer.

TheBeerHunter Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by paulmoscow (Post 20226973)
I've replaced IHG with Marriott.

Will stay at IHG hotels only when absolutely unavoidable and only with non-qualifying rates (F&F, 2-4-1 or Priceline NYOP).

Will also take a look at whether Delta's Crossover Rewards pans out or not.

Slightly OT, but only just -- to paulmoscow, or others who know: I know F&F rates are "supposed" to be non-qualifying, etc. But do RAs still get upgrades, etc. on them? It's been ages since I booked one...

I'm giving up on RA after requalifying again in late December -- just can't be bothered anymore.

King Chung Huang Feb 11, 2013 2:11 pm

I've burned off my PC points and did a status match to Club Carlson. But, I'm still evaluating my options.