Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Converting Air Miles Reward Miles (Canada) to Priority Club Points and then FF miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Air Miles Reward Miles (Canada) to Priority Club Points and then FF miles.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
Smile Converting Air Miles Reward Miles (Canada) to Priority Club Points and then FF miles.

The Air Miles really sucks for redeeming anything except an expensive short haul flight, and I'd rather be earning the frequent flyer miles on one of my FF programs. But seeing as how I already collect Air Miles and I have a Platinum Air Miles AMEX I could make use of double and triple dipping. Now, I know you can transfer AMRM for PC points (thank God) at around 800 AMRM for 10,000 PC points. Basically, once Air Miles transfers the AMRM to your PC account they leave the rest up to you to book your night's stay. I'd say hell with the free night and just keep transferring AMRM into my PC account and then redeem the PC points for FF miles where 10,000 PC points (vis-a-vis 800 AMRM) could get me 2,000 FF miles for example.

Has anyone done this successfully? I don't see how it wouldn't be possible, but just wanted to double check if anyone has experience on this forum. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
Just to put it in more perspective, I think converting AMRM into FF miles would be the best value in using those otherwise useless AMRM.

800 AMRM is not even enough for the shortest of the short haul flights you can redeem for which you could expect to pay around $350 to $400 if you paid for it yourself. If you redeemed AMRM for such flight you could expect to pay around $150 in taxes which means you are basically redeeming around 1000 AMRM for $250 approximately cash value.

Now, take 800 AMRM and redeem them for 10,000 PC points that would give you one night stay at the Holiday Inn. Cash value is around $100.

BUT take those same 10,000 PC points and redeem them for 2,000 FF miles. A one-way trip from New York to Salt Lake City would get you around the same amount of miles and would cost you around $165.

Clearly the AMRM program mile-per-mile is a real rip off, but having said that, it would appear that you get the best value if you convert them into FF miles since redeeming the AMRM for a short haul flight would cost you at least 200 more AMRM in the low season alone PLUS at least an extra $150 cash where you would be earning only 500 FF miles at the most for that same flight on your FF program versus converting them vis-a-vis PC points at an albeit horrible devaluation but for quadruple the FF miles.

I'd love hear everyone's opinion
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Why would you want to convert 10k PC points to 2k air miles? IMO very poor rate.

Usually one gets the biggest bang for the buck in the native programme (with a number of exceptions to this "rule")
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
10k PC points now get you 1 night at Holiday Inn Old Sydney in Australia, on New year's eve, it costs $1k USD / night including taxes. ( i think there's a 3 night minimum ).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:27 am
Original Poster

the whole point of this topic is converting air miles into frequent flyer miles, not converting PC points into air miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.