Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of a RA referral voucher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Value of a RA referral voucher

I listed a RA Referral voucher on SleEzeBay yesterday evening, and it still has over a week to run. Within minute of listing it has had bids and this morning it has reached £270 already. I have had 8 questions about it too!

I have listed all sorts of stuff on EBay, but never, ever have I seen this much interest. To get so many bids so long before the auction end completely baffles me. Have these people not heard of auction snippers?

I know these vouchers have a value, but at the end of the day it's petty much just a few drinks (which you could probably get free in the club lounge anyway) and a bigger room. I really don't see the voucher as that valuable. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ce-beware.html
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I listed a RA Referral voucher on SleEzeBay yesterday evening, and it still has over a week to run. Within minute of listing it has had bids and this morning it has reached £270 already. I have had 8 questions about it too!

I have listed all sorts of stuff on EBay, but never, ever have I seen this much interest. To get so many bids so long before the auction end completely baffles me. Have these people not heard of auction snippers?

I know these vouchers have a value, but at the end of the day it's petty much just a few drinks (which you could probably get free in the club lounge anyway) and a bigger room. I really don't see the voucher as that valuable. Am I missing something?
It has huge amounts of value, just not for you it seems.

You are presumably the sort of person who always books the cheapest room in a hotel. For someone who always likes to be in a higher level room, an RA referral can pay for itself in one stay by letting you book a cheaper room. Clearing out the mini bar with your travelling companion instead of hitting the town will also save a pile.

You also get a free year of Ambassador when you drop down, which is a $150 saving.

Even if your travels only took you to an IC once a month, you could easily justify £500 for a cert if those properties were ones who treated RA's well.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles

You are presumably the sort of person who always books the cheapest room in a hotell.
I guess you must be the sort of person who boozes a lot!

In fact I normally book a club room at the IC I stay at normally - we have a corp rate on club rooms. As an ambassador I got an upgrade to a sea view club room. As a RA (only used it once) I got the same. Funnily enough, I normally reject the upgrades because I find the sea view rooms too hot and prefer the city view ones.

I must admit I don't drink a lot and would never think of 'clearing out the mini bar'. If I fancy a glass of plonk in the evening I would normally nip up to the club lounge.

So I guess it's just that I book pretty much the room they upgrade you to and don't get a lot of value from the booze.

Nevertheless, particularly given the sensible warning posted by Nicolas77, I'm still shocked at value people obviously apply to it, which accords with your assessment.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It should fetch about $500 on eBay. Just make sure that the info on file with eBay is not the same as your RA account. There was a thread recently that PC busted a guy who was selling an award night on eBay and closed his account. eBay volunteers this info for "brand" owners.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
The two level upgrade at some locations, equates to a nice suite at several properties that i stay at. The upgraded room would cost between 100+a night(Singapore, Bangkok, SFO) just as a few examples. Only if you need a better room, or want Minibar... Value of RA totally depends on the Properties that you frequent.

Ebay pricing is usually 500-600US You should have just gifted(traded) it here.... you probably could get more net value......

Oh well, I guess cash is King!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.