Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Old Dec 15, 14, 7:13 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Posts: 599
I have a 3 night long weekend stay in Boston next September, I am currently tinkering with paying the $200 fee for ambassador status to get the free weekend night certificate because I have it in mind that with each night currently at a best flex rate of $329 it's a no brainer and i would be saving $129 on my booking.

Can someone confirm my thinking is correct please?

Thanks
EDI_Martin is offline  
Old Dec 15, 14, 7:44 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,640
Originally Posted by mc1973 View Post
I have a 3 night long weekend stay in Boston next September, I am currently tinkering with paying the $200 fee for ambassador status to get the free weekend night certificate because I have it in mind that with each night currently at a best flex rate of $329 it's a no brainer and i would be saving $129 on my booking.

Can someone confirm my thinking is correct please?

Thanks
You need to book the two nights in question via this link: intercontinental.com/AMBweekend
The rate is typically the worst flexible (sorry best flexible) rate, no discounted rates. It could be that there are no free night rooms (even if there are still regular rooms for sale).
You also will not get points for the free night.

Otherwise your thinking is correct and you will have ambassador status for a year.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Dec 15, 14, 7:53 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Programs: IC Plat Amb, Marriott, Starwood, BA, VA.
Posts: 657
Don't forget to throw thoughts of some kind of Ambassador upgrade into the mix when making your decision. It does vary from property to property, but sometimes you can get a great upgrade even as a plain "vanilla" Ambassador!
AMDB7 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 14, 9:48 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 6,480
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
You need to book the two nights in question via this link: intercontinental.com/AMBweekend
The rate is typically the worst flexible (sorry best flexible) rate, no discounted rates. It could be that there are no free night rooms (even if there are still regular rooms for sale).
You also will not get points for the free night.

Otherwise your thinking is correct and you will have ambassador status for a year.
I believe you have to be an Ambassador to see the rates. I am going through a similar thought process, and ran up into this issue to see the savings. I'll check the best flexible rate, thanks.
beachfan is offline  
Old Jan 1, 15, 6:44 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,996
Still finding availability in the US very difficult in the main cities.
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Jan 1, 15, 7:14 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,996
It's very frustrating, and every time I check any hotel in any city I want to go to I get this msg, which I assume means I CANNOT use my free voucher:

"No rooms exactly matching your preferences were found. The following room types are available."
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Jan 1, 15, 10:45 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West Coast, USA
Programs: Skywards Platinum
Posts: 3,747
Originally Posted by Dicksbits View Post
It's very frustrating, and every time I check any hotel in any city I want to go to I get this msg, which I assume means I CANNOT use my free voucher:

"No rooms exactly matching your preferences were found. The following room types are available."
I have never had an issue using mine. You are selecting at least 2 nights and over a weekend, correct?
whimike is offline  
Old Jan 1, 15, 11:16 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SYD (was MAN)
Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Dicksbits View Post
It's very frustrating, and every time I check any hotel in any city I want to go to I get this msg, which I assume means I CANNOT use my free voucher:

"No rooms exactly matching your preferences were found. The following room types are available."
I had exactly the same problem when searching for a four night stay spanning the weekend. When I changed my search criteria to a two day stay over the weekend encompassing both days on a weekend it worked fine.
Currently available in most Cities across the whole of Europe. (Sorry, didn't check US).
iFlip23 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:59 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,996
Originally Posted by iFlip23 View Post
I had exactly the same problem when searching for a four night stay spanning the weekend. When I changed my search criteria to a two day stay over the weekend encompassing both days on a weekend it worked fine.
Currently available in most Cities across the whole of Europe. (Sorry, didn't check US).
weird isn't it? I did the same and two night availability opened up in Warsaw and Madrid in mid-Feb. 4 nights wouldn't work anywhere, except when I checked last year for Tokyo in Feb (could see 4 night availability).
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 12:24 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MAN
Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 541
Are the free night certificates transferable?
TheMajor is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:36 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,072
Originally Posted by TheMajor View Post
Are the free night certificates transferable?
Assuming Bogos, not CC certs or the intothenights free nights certs

Well IHG t+c's say not transferrable, but there is no serial numbers etc on supplied bogo certs so in practise yes,

Normally one can only obtain 2x BOGOs direct from IHG, yearly Ambassador renewal + one extra if later on earning RA level.

Individual hotels can't see how many bogos a year one uses, and although I guess IHG corporate can see, there are no reports from anyone that using 4/5 bogos in a year for yourself causes any issues.
scubaccr is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 9:55 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
Assuming Bogos, not CC certs or the intothenights free nights certs

Well IHG t+c's say not transferrable, but there is no serial numbers etc on supplied bogo certs so in practise yes,

Normally one can only obtain 2x BOGOs direct from IHG, yearly Ambassador renewal + one extra if later on earning RA level.

Individual hotels can't see how many bogos a year one uses, and although I guess IHG corporate can see, there are no reports from anyone that using 4/5 bogos in a year for yourself causes any issues.
but not both at same hotel at same weekend as I wanted to!!

Last edited by morepointsplease; Jan 4, 15 at 1:16 am Reason: typo
morepointsplease is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 3:41 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MAN
Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 541
Ok thanks, I have a certificate, I will not use so, if anyone is interested please let me know. (UK only)
TheMajor is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 3:06 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Programs: IC Plat Amb, Marriott, Starwood, BA, VA.
Posts: 657
Hi TheMajor,
pm sent regarding cert.
Regards, AMDB7
AMDB7 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 3:08 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: AA, IHG PLM AMB
Posts: 25
So before it was asked if you had to be ambassador to use the certificate and the answer focused on ID so I think they made the assumption that it would be used by different person.

I need to re-ask with more detail.

I am currently ambassador with a BOGO certificate that expires after my ambassador expires.

Has anyone had success booking BOGO while ambassador and then using that BOGO certificate for that booking that happens to when you are no longer ambassador (ambassador expires prior to your booking)?
radryan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: