Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC San Francisco Mark Hopkins Archive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Originally Posted by Savage25
I emailed the IC MH asking what I would need to get an upgrade to a Corner Suite (I had booked a Classic room at $155) and this was their reply:
I was looking at your status *lol "IC Free Minibar" nice.

And yes, if you would book a deluxe, you would probably only get a senior suite.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:05 am
Alf

Programs: Lufthansa HON Circle, IC Royal Ambassador, American Express Centurion, Mastercard World Signia
So their upgrade rules seem to change from hour to hour or from customer to customer...
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by Alf
So their upgrade rules seem to change from hour to hour or from customer to customer...
No...nixande's experience was pre management change.

Post management change the only thing good about the MH for RA's has been the consistency of there being nothing good!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:51 am

Yes, 'old management' as I noted.

I staid there end of july and had another night booked (with lounge in mind) after I would return from San Jose when I was informed by a staff member in the lounge that it would go up to 60$ per person which was unacceptable for me.

I cancelled that booking right away with her.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
This is my hometown IC, and I have spent quite a few weekend there when we have parties in the city and does not feel like driving afterwards.

The management change and "enhancements" to the RA benefits at the Mark Hopkins is really disappointing. Unfortunately, Gail Gerber, the just appointed Director of Sales and Marketing for the new InterContinental San Francisco currently under construction, was most recently the Director of Sales and Marketing at the Mark Hopkins. I would bet that the RA policy at the new SF IC will be similar to the MH.

It looks like I will not stay at any US IC west of the Mississippi any time soon .
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Jet2K
Unfortunately, Gail Gerber, the just appointed Director of Sales and Marketing for the new InterContinental San Francisco currently under construction, was most recently the Director of Sales and Marketing at the Mark Hopkins. I would bet that the RA policy at the new SF IC will be similar to the MH.
I wouldn't assume that. It is Mr. Gatti, the GM at the MH, who has instituted these policies. I would think that unless he is made manager of the new IC SF that things would be better for RAs at the new IC. Plus, isn't the new IC much bigger, with presumably more suites to give for upgrades?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:20 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
So Ambassador service forwarded my email on the upgrade policy of the IC MH to the hotel and I got this reply from the hotel today. My reservation still shows Business room and it appears that I will take "good advantage of this room" because there is only one such room per floor. Whoopeee!

Dear Mr. Savage25,

Thank you for your message concerning your benefits and upgrade as a Royal Ambassador.

All our Royal Ambassadors are entitled to an executive room or a suite. The executive room/business room is a spacious room which is located at one of the corners of the building where you have a beautiful view of the Huntington Park and the Grace Cathedral or the partial bay view from a higher floor. The rooms are very spacious, giving you ample space to relax or to conduct business with the multifunctional machine installed in the room. With only one business room on each floor, I believe you will take good advantage of this room.

As the Royal Ambassador benefit states, your upgrade is to an executive room or a suite. This practice has not changed at our hotel. I apologize for any confusion with the information.

We look forward to hosting you soon in October and if I can be of further assistance, please contact me directly.

Cordially,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Assistant Front Office Manager

InterContinental Mark Hopkins

One Nob Hill

San Francisco, CA 94109

Tel: 415-616-6906

Fax: 415-616-6909
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
So Ambassador service forwarded my email on the upgrade policy of the IC MH to the hotel and I got this reply from the hotel today. My reservation still shows Business room and it appears that I will take "good advantage of this room" because there is only one such room per floor. Whoopeee!
Actually that is a nice room / view on that side. And it is a corner room. If you book a suite and there is this corner room free and has the same anemities - i think that would totally fit the description of the t&c

Let me start a new thread under a more general title "amb / ra: what kind of benefits are the most valuable to you" so we can take the discussion for a moment away from just being the mh.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What a bunch of bottom-feeding woosies! Having managed to get RA referrals to enjoy the benefits, all you can do is complain because you're not getting the best suites in the building when booking the cheapest room in the hotel! We know RA has become "watered down" because the referral system let's just about anybody into the "club". And then when we're not renewed because we've not stayed 50/60 nights with a certain number of IC properties among them, more complaining.

We now know that ICH has established a new, true "elite" tier which gives real benefits to those who actually spend money and book suites or Club rooms all the time. These are the RAs who will get the top end suites when they stay at ICs, and more power to them.

The MH was one of the properties I stayed at when I first received RA status and booking a Standard room (non-advance rate) with a 2nd wkend night cert, I received a very nice suite...not a Terrace, but still a true suite in the central core of the building with a reasonable view, albeit of the city not the Bay.

At one time, someone was posting that they were disappointed that IC stays only got 2K plus bonuses and RA/Plat wasn't a real elite tier any more. Well, if we are to believe the thread about "never-ending RA" IC has addressed the matter and created a true top tier of elite that is exactly that, and given to those who've really earned it with a $50K annual spend.

So if you insist on suites and Terrace ones at that, then become a VIP and book basic suites, and you'll get the best in the house. Otherwise, the new T&C are what we live with.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:26 am

It is probably because the programms are mixed, but not for benefit on the IC side.

Does any other program cap their top hotels for earning like PC does?

IC maybe sometimes less expensive than a CP or HI, but most times it is defenetly a higher price to pay. Staying there for several days does not make sense- the points you are getting do most of the time just refelct what you would get at a cp for one day stay.

I still think most of the complains come out of this combination: lesser privilegdes would not 'hurt' as much if you at least get your points for it.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:43 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by pranu
I think the only difference between a "Classic" and a "Business" is perhaps the higher floor. I could not spot ONE thing in the room that would have made it feel special for "Business".
I'm staying at the MH right now. Booked a Classic King Room and got upgraded (not much of one) to the Business Room. It is not on a higher floor. As a matter of fact, I'm on the 7th floor right by the elevator.

I definitely echo the negative sentiments people have posted on this thread.

Here are my observations.

Check in was efficient.

The only difference between the Classic King and Business Room is the fax machine. BIG DEAL!!!

No welcome gift. I'm not demanding one, but if it's specifically stated that a welcome gift is given to all Ambassador and RAs, adhere to it

No pillow menu. Only two pillows on bed present. Even at the HIX in Hong Kong, there is a pillow menu.

Bottom line. If you are RA or Ambassador, as everyone has stated, AVOID THIS PROPERTY!!!!! I would of cancelled my reservation, but unfortunately, my rate was non-refundable
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by gemini573
Bottom line. If you are RA or Ambassador, as everyone has stated, AVOID THIS PROPERTY!!!!! I would of cancelled my reservation, but unfortunately, my rate was non-refundable
IMHO I wouldn't avoid, but only reserve at the verrry lowest seasonal rates knowing what to expect.

The truly sad thing is that I talk to people who are impressed because I stayed at the Mark Hopkins, reputed to be the West Coast's premier hotel.

It just doesn't have to be this way.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by gemini573
The only difference between the Classic King and Business Room is the fax machine. BIG DEAL!!!

No welcome gift. I'm not demanding one, but if it's specifically stated that a welcome gift is given to all Ambassador and RAs, adhere to it
File a complaint with the Ambassador Service desk. Nothing will happen unless people complain to the corporate.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:40 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by holtju2
File a complaint with the Ambassador Service desk. Nothing will happen unless people complain to the corporate.
This is the standardized letter I received from Ambassador Service desk. This was dated on 17th of Sept. Notice the part that I boldfaced. MY ARRIVAL DATE FOR THE HOTEL IS THE 21ST OF SEPT.

Dear Mr. Gemini573,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the InterContinental Ambassador
Service Center.

We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate and unacceptable experience
you had during your last stay with us
. However, it is our goal to make your
experience as an Ambassador to be as enjoyable and rewarding as possible.

Your comments have been recorded and we have shared them with the management
of the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. You should expect to
receive a response from the hotel within the week.

All of us at InterContinental Hotels and Resorts take great pride in
providing an exceptional level of service to our Ambassador guests, and we
regret that we fell short in this instance. Thank you for sharing your
experience with us. We hope that you will continue to use InterContinental
Hotels and Resorts as your preferred lodging of choice.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 1 800 462 6686.

Sincerely,

M P (Mr.)

This is the letter I received yesterday directly from MH.

Dear Mr. Gemini573

Thank you for your message concerning your benefits and upgrade as a Royal Ambassador.

All our Royal Ambassadors are entitled to an executive room or a suite. The executive room/business room is a spacious room which is located at one of the corners of the building where you have a beautiful view of the Huntington Park and the Grace Cathedral or the partial bay view from a higher floor. The rooms are very spacious, giving you ample space to relax or to conduct business with the multifunctional machine installed in the room. With only one business room on each floor, I believe you will take good advantage of this room.

As the Royal Ambassador benefit states, your upgrade is to an executive room or a suite. This practice has not changed at our hotel. I apologize for any confusion with the information.

Please contact me directly when your travels bring you San Francisco and I would more than happy to take care of your reservation.

Kind Regards

S C

Front Office Manager

So an excutive room is now a business room?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I booked a Club IC room at the Mark Hopkins and then called the hotel directly to try to get myself upgraded into a Suite. I spoke with Anna in the Club Inter-Continental Lounge and she was able to allocate to me a wonderful Junior Suite on the 17th floor. I have posted the details of this stay on the RA Experiences thread on this board.

Perhaps contacting the hotel directly, i.e. phone, will yield a better result?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.