Interesting question about compensation for lost bag

Old Jun 18, 12, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond, Intercontinental Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Interesting question about compensation for lost bag

Hi.

This is an interesting question i hope some of the experts can help with. Let me preface by saying that im not asking for commentary or questions about what is not being revealed for confidential/respect for the property.

I have been staying at a decent holiday Inn about once or twice a month for the past year and a half. I normally leave a suitcase there and the concierge knows about it. This Holiday Inn is in a popular destination and the staff have been accomodating and nice.

Recently, however, the hotel had lost my bag and agreed to pay an amount to cover the lost items. I have never been in such a situation.

The hotel manager did annotate my record to say there was a computer item and clothing and the bag itself.

My plan is to buy the replacement items, ie, one computer item and the suitcase which will come up to around 800 dollars.

I'm not sure how the hotel will react to such a figure. But i feel its a reasonable amount substantiated with receipts for replacement items.

I'm a bit worried about the monetary amount. The alternative i guess is i could ask for points but like most holiday Inns, i don't think the hotel is that familiar with posting goodwill gesture points.

Any thought by the experts here would be appreciated.
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
In my opinion, all very reasonable.
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't understand how a hotel loses a bag that it isn't transporting anywhere. It sounds more like the bag was stolen, perhaps by an employee. Maybe the hotel would rather pay than have you file a police report.
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Bags can get lost

Please do not blame the employee unless you KNOW for a fact that THE employee steal the bag. Otherwise please do treat it as a bad luck (aka Prove until guilty)

Bags can go missing very easily if the hotel is extremely busy with tour groups, and no clear procedure, or even with a new employee who carelessly tagged the bag.

With tour groups come in day and night it is easy to misplace a bag when deliver it to the coach on departure. Sometimes the porter or employee simply put the supposed bags into the coach an d assume all bags being loaded belongs to the group. And if the bag was not tagged, and the coach was on a coach tour, rather than fly tour, the bag can be missing in the next destination.

So please do not say the emplyee have stolen the bag. And I am sure the hotel have the procedure as well. But when time is busy, mistakes happen.
Old Jun 18, 12, 7:05 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Please do not blame the employee...

...no clear procedure...

...employee who carelessly tagged the bag.

the porter or employee simply put the supposed bags into the coach and assume all bags being loaded belongs to the group.
While I agree that nobody should yell "thief" without substantial evidence, I disagree with the don't blame the employee attitude.

If, as you said, there was no clear procedure, careless employees who tag bags and other (careless) employees who assume all bags need to be put on a coach, there are very significant issues that need to be addressed.

As an employer, I NEVER want to hear the words "careless" or "assume". If there is a procedure it needs to be followed. If not, one needs to be developed and effective countermeasures need to be implimented in the meantime. Employees need to be trained and competent. They need to be supervised adequately.

There is NO excuse for a staff member to provide anyone with a customer's property without KNOWING that the property should be released to them.

If you were in my ambulance would you still say "don't blame the employee" if I gave your wallet and jewelery to a random person because I "assumed" that they were related to you and trustworthy? Would you treat that as bad luck?
Old Jun 18, 12, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by chasingthedream View Post
My plan is to buy the replacement items, ie, one computer item and the suitcase which will come up to around 800 dollars.

I'm not sure how the hotel will react to such a figure. But i feel its a reasonable amount substantiated with receipts for replacement items.
$800 is very reasonable amount. It could be just a pair of jeans and couple of shirts.

As you have been a frequent guest at the property I think that it is an amicable solution for both parties.
Old Jun 19, 12, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by medic51vrf View Post
While I agree that nobody should yell "thief" without substantial evidence, I disagree with the don't blame the employee attitude.

If, as you said, there was no clear procedure, careless employees who tag bags and other (careless) employees who assume all bags need to be put on a coach, there are very significant issues that need to be addressed.

As an employer, I NEVER want to hear the words "careless" or "assume". If there is a procedure it needs to be followed. If not, one needs to be developed and effective countermeasures need to be implimented in the meantime. Employees need to be trained and competent. They need to be supervised adequately.

There is NO excuse for a staff member to provide anyone with a customer's property without KNOWING that the property should be released to them.

If you were in my ambulance would you still say "don't blame the employee" if I gave your wallet and jewelery to a random person because I "assumed" that they were related to you and trustworthy? Would you treat that as bad luck?
When I said don't blame the employee. I mean THE EMPLOYEE in generic terms. Not employee who had dealt the situation.

Then I listed several scenarios. Nothing to do with OP. As I have no idea what exactly happened. But I am all against the rush to say the bag is stolen by employee of the hotel.

And i never mention the atiitude thing. I do not where you come with the ideas.

And please do remember, there is no ideal working condition. Bags can be very heavy. range between 1 KGs to 32Kgs. If it is a heavy bag and all bags are putting in one small place. It is very easy to torn the tags when lift one bag. If the tags are missing and someone claims the bag, people would assume the ownership.

I have no intention to argue with you since I can see that you have no sympathy or understanding of real work environment. You simply demand perfection without realising the sahort outcome of human being. There is times people are powerless or make wrong decisions. The hotel is paying a decent amount towards the missing bag. Which I think is a good thing.

And I am sure the hotel will have an internal enquiry about the incident.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:30 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
When I said don't blame the employee. I mean THE EMPLOYEE in generic terms. Not employee who had dealt the situation.

Then I listed several scenarios. Nothing to do with OP. As I have no idea what exactly happened. But I am all against the rush to say the bag is stolen by employee of the hotel.

And i never mention the atiitude thing. I do not where you come with the ideas.

And please do remember, there is no ideal working condition. Bags can be very heavy. range between 1 KGs to 32Kgs. If it is a heavy bag and all bags are putting in one small place. It is very easy to torn the tags when lift one bag. If the tags are missing and someone claims the bag, people would assume the ownership.

I have no intention to argue with you since I can see that you have no sympathy or understanding of real work environment. You simply demand perfection without realising the sahort outcome of human being. There is times people are powerless or make wrong decisions. The hotel is paying a decent amount towards the missing bag. Which I think is a good thing.

And I am sure the hotel will have an internal enquiry about the incident.
I don't have any desire to argue with you either but there is absolutely NO excuse for handing over a customer's property to any other person without absolute certainty that it is supposed to go with that person.

At times I have been responsible for a wide variety of personal property belonging to patients that I have picked up everywhere from posh hotels to oil rigs, mine sites, ships and the battlefields of the Middle East and I have never, not one single time, lost a single item over my 20+ years in my line of work. Why? Because my patients/clients have trust in me and I have integrity.

There is no such thing as bad luck, only bad planning and bad operators and/or supervisors and procedures. How is it that I can fly into Sudan, get shot at and still exfil a patient (and their belongings) successfully and yet someone else can't pull a bag out of a storeroom and put it on a bus without giving the bag to a random person? Don't blame them? It's bad luck? No, it's bad SERVICE.

No ideal working condition? Come out into a tent hospital in Afghanistan or fast rope onto the deck of a survey vessel in a severe storm with me and THEN tell me about ideal working conditions.

You say that you can see I have "no sympathy or understanding of real work environment." You are absolutely right about the sympathy thing. I don't have any sympathy for incompetence. In my line of work that gets people killed. Regarding my understanding of real work environment, I'm not really able to comment on that as I'm not sure if your words are based on ignorance or arrogance but in either case I disagree.

I should note that I wasn't saying that your comments were right or wrong, simply that I disagreed with them and that I was willing to provide specific examples of why. You, for some reason, felt the need to personally attack me with your "no sympathy or understanding" comment (although you did thinly veil it with the "no intention to argue" remark). If you didn't want to argue, what was the point of the attack?

Perhaps you should realise that there are over 7 billion people in this world and not all will agree with you all the time and that's ok but that doesn't give you the right to attack or judge them.

BTW you never answered my question regarding whether it would be bad luck if I gave your valuables to a random person after you trusted me with them....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: